It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• A couple of questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    A couple of questions

Hello,

I have several medical conditions and will be undergoing and upper (and possibly lower) GI testing to try and determine the reason for the iron loss.

I have been on Nexium (a PPI) for GERD and LPR for about a year now. I also take a small dose of aspirin, as well as other medications, daily. Some of these meds are known to have GI side effects. My question: would any damage from the medication be seen during the endoscopy?
    What tests are used to determine whether the low iron is a result of iron malabsorption or an iron depletion?

I find the posts here very informative. I wonder if any of you have had an experience with a cardio-renal-anemia syndrome. I was shocked to learn of its existence.

thank you,
    flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User
    Re: A couple of questions

WOW! We have two Flowergirls on this board. That should be interesting!

Anyhoozle, when I had my upper endoscopy I was wondering the same thing, if my use of NSAIDs would reveal any damage or bleeding that could be detected during the scope and the doctor said it is routine to look for things like that. He even took a few biopsies of some "strange polypy things" in my stomach which turned out to be nothing. The whole thing is short and very thorough. They were looking for evidence of Celiacs in my case which can cause anemia. Thank goodness, none was found.

When you say "cardiac-renal-anemia", what are the cardiac and renal implications?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    When you say "cardiac-renal-anemia", what are the cardiac and renal implications
    To be honest, reading about this syndrome scared the heck out of me.
    The cardio-renal-anemia syndrome is basically a crazy, vicious circle of several medical conditions exacerbating each other.

Congestive heart failure (CHF) causes anemia and chronic kidney insufficiency (CKI). Anemia can cause CHF and CKI. Lastly, chronic kidney insufficiency causes anemia and CHF. It seems like there's just no way of avoiding anemia for people afflicted with any of these conditions.

thank you for your response, Chickie!

flowergirl

Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

ChickieLou--You are too funny!

flowergirl2day--Hi again!
    That's a very good question. I can tell you from my own experience that I was very ill inside and burning with a very upset GI tract, upper and lower the entire thing. I just KNEW I had internal bleeding. I then had to wait 3 weeks while taking Nexium to have the endo and colonoscopy. Well, they found nothing while looking inside other than a hiatal hernia which Nexium can't heal LOL. So, I believe that I healed and looked so good he didn't even have to biopsy me. I think a lot of things can be missed due to PPI's doing such a great job at the time of testing. If I didn't wait I'm sure it would have been a completely different result. As far as damage showing, yes it can, many times it will show up and the use of aspirin can bother some people and cause inflammation or gastritis and bleeding can occur.

Iron malabsorption can lead to iron depletion. There are many malabsorption syndromes and the use of PPI's is on this list. To what degree of malabsorption, I really don't know if anyone has the answer to that. If your blood tests come back with only low iron then you first have to rule out heavy periods, any type of blood loss through the GI tract for various causes, and finally malabsorption. Also, thyroid can be related to iron malabsorption. By ruling out things and seeing what is left over, types of symptoms and lab results, eventually you may get answers. Many people get their answers quick and easy. Then there are those of us just keeping this board alive. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

Quote:
    Many people get their answers quick and easy. Then there are those of us just keeping this board alive.
    I like your sense of humor! You are a funny girl!
    Yes, there are some of us who never seem to get ANY answers. I think I will be looking for answers for the rest of my life. None seem to be forthcoming. Perhaps I will luck out with the GI tests.

We are just starting from scratch, looking for any sources of internal bleeding at this point. I can tell you that SOMETHING has changed - in spite of no changes in my diet or lifestyle, I experience a lot of bloating, gas and constipation. Sometimes even pain. It seems as if things don't quite work the way they are supposed to. Until a few weeks ago, I had no problems whatsoever in this department. Now it's constant. Then again, I do have GERD and a hiatal hernia so perhaps this is a natural progression of this condition. The symptoms of my various issues overlap, making it difficult to pin anything down.

You are so right in saying that the road to getting a diagnoses can be long and bumpy. Like many other diagnostic approaches, it is based on the process of elimination of various possible causes. I guess we've got to start somewhere. Based on my experience in NEVER getting a proper diagnosis in the past, I won't hold my breath!)

take care,
    flowergirl

Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

FGtoday, I confess after I posted this morning, I went poking around on the internet and cardio-renal-anemia scared the heck out of ME too. That had to be a scary diagnosis.

The GI tests should say alot in your case about the cause of your iron deficiency. Be sure to come back and confer with us "anemiacs" here once you have it done. Many of us have had the GI series. I can think of better ways to spend a weekday, but the nice thing is, you go home the day of the procedure with your answers, except for any biopsies. Be sure to bring your driver or responsible person in the room when the doctor tells you what he found. I was so high on the drugs they gave me, I couldn't remember much of the conversation. He also gave me a report with photos of my colon which I will treasure always.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chickie,

to clarify: I haven't been diagnosed with anything, yet. With my luck, there won't be any diagnosis. But at least they'll look. I could have some damage from all the pills I take (well, I thought of using another word instead of "pills" which starts with a C..., but shall restrain myself ). My hubby says the pills are going to kill me. Ironically, he takes daily meds also, so I don't understand his reasoning.
    What scares me is that I have cardio, renal and other problems (lucky me!), which, as you have read, can feed on each other (so to speak) and can lead to this syndrome. And I already have the low iron. Low iron really means little on itself and, as you know, is very common. When combined with the other medical issues, it could be worrisome. It's good to know about this and other conditions which result in (or lead to) anemia. Because our doctors are so busy, things can be missed sometimes. That is why it's always a good idea to keep well informed.

My scopes won't happen for at least a month. I have to wait until then to find out if everything is OK inside. I've noticed some gastric changes though my diet has not changed in the least. It is a healthy one, except for an excessive consumption of bread. I love fresh bread. I am trying to cut back a little. Because of my dietary restrictions, I don't eat much meat, ESPECIALLY liver. It contains something I shouldn't have for the kidneys I think. I can't remember exactly what - just that I shouldn't eat it (not that I would!!! ) I eat a lot of veggies and fruits. I will inform myself about good sources of dietary iron and try to include more of those.
    Thanks for the tips about the scopes - I'll ask my girlfriend to come along. She'll be thrilled.

flowergirl

Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

flowergirl--There is a very informative thread on this board regarding Colonoscopy. Use the search box, key words Colonoscopy, Osteoblast. If you use those key words there are also other follow up posts to read.

Have you been checked out for Celiac yet? Symptoms are very close to that of IBS and often misdiagnosed for IBS. You say that you really like bread and that may be a culprit for you. This is an AI disease that can lead to anemia, a sensitivity to gluten which leads to poor absorption of nutrients. There is a blood test that your GI may do for you to test for antibodies. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

fgtoday, I really hope that you don't get that scary diagnosis applied to you. But it does sound like you have a few things to tackle, anemia being a very important one. Even without the other conditions, it's still worrisome.

I think you mentioned that you were getting upper and lower endoscopies. Well, the good news is, the upper endoscopy is THE definitive diagnosis for Celiacs. As FLfg, mentioned, it is a prime suspect in people with anemia where GI causes are suspected. Basically, when they scope you, and they don't see any villi in the upper part of your small intestine, you have Celiacs. Scopes are never any fun because it's sedation time and the prep is usually awful, but this is one case where I would recommend having the biopsy for Celiacs in addition to the blood tests. I, myself, had a positive blood test for gluten sensitivity as did my mother (Celiacs is often genetic), and I was negative for Celiacs when I had my endoscopy.

The Celiac diet is so stringent (you can NEVER have gluten and it's in everything including some medications), that you want to be absolutely sure before launching on the diet. There are no pills you can take, although I work in clinical research and see studies for CD all the time, right now there is nothing one can do besides change their diet. Since you love bread so much, you want to be certain.

Last edited by ChickieLou; 07-15-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flflowergirl,

I have not been checked for anything yet (related to the loss of iron). I think the only (and perhaps the best) way to do it is by the process of elimination. A systematic approach should result in eventually identifying the cause. I hope that turns out to be the case.

I am sorry but I haven't been able to figure out what TN stands for. Is it an abbreviation for a medical term or a condition that is associated with blood? That would be my guess. Once I know what it is, I will read about it and let you know if I can relate. I am not familiar with hematology at all. I should get a good book about it - I have many about various other medical issues, clinical treatments, pharmacology etc. (I like to read). I will read the post you mentioned about colonoscopy tonight. I watched a video about both scopes a couple of days ago. I think that the prep (which, of course, was NOT discussed or shown in detail ) is the worst part. They showed various jugs of yuckky looking stuff that people are required to drink. I hope none is bad for the kidneys.

flowergirl

Old 07-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChickieLou,

thanks for your reply. I have always thought that certain medical conditions (such as GERD) and vitamin or mineral deficiencies were no big deal, because they are not deadly. I've learned my lesson though while worrying daily about my potassium reaching lethal levels (especially during the time I was on three K building meds), which results in a cardiac arrest. I can't take the K supplements due to kidney issues, which is why I have been on at least two potassium sparing-or building- meds at a time (plus one that's potassium-wasting). Glad that that's finally OK. Now it looks as if I have to worry about building up my iron. Geez.

I looked up Celiac disease - and wow! seem to have some of the symptoms. Actually, it is quite shocking to hear about conditions/diseases I never knew existed. I'll definitely have to learn more about this and OTHER digestive disorders.
    I wonder how to bring up the subject of testing for Celiac disease with the doctor when I meet him - I'd like to be SURE they test for it. This means a biopsy of the small bowel druing the scope. Do I just ask the doctor to do it? Do they take samples of the tissue automatically, or does my doctor have to request it as an add-on(extra)? I wish I knew.

I hope I don't have this disease.....the life-long diet sounds horrible!!! It is so restrictive I'd have to give up all of my favorite foods!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 07-15-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #12
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    I watched a video about both scopes a couple of days ago. I think that the prep (which, of course, was NOT discussed or shown in detail ) is the worst part. They showed various jugs of yuckky looking stuff that people are required to drink. I hope none is bad for the kidneys.

flowergirl
    That's a very good question to ask your doctor about the kidneys.

I had to drink an ENTIRE container of Polyethylene Glycol (the normal dose is a capful) mixed in 32 oz of a sports drink (to ward off dehydration) from 6 am until it was finished. I thought this was better than what my husband had to go through because it didn't taste that bad. All I remember about his prep was "yuck!" "pleh!" "bleccchh!"

Here is the very best advice I can give anyone on the scopes: If they have an option to have the procedure in the afternoon, I would take it over the morning slot. With the morning slot, you have to start the prep at night and you are awake all night going to the bathroom. My procedure was at 3:00 in the afternoon so my prep started at 6 am and I was able to get a good night's sleep the night before.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl--You were talking about tooth pain. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear, Trigeminal Neuralgia. It causes pain to come and go in the teeth and ear sometimes. It's always a little different for me. Mine is just a pain, nothing too bad. Some people have it much worse. It is also related to other diseases that I have had ruled out too.

Your right about the prep. There are pills called, Osmo Prep that Christine told us about. I had the nasty Fleet, the next time it will be pills. This is all in the Colonoscopy post. Enjoy!

You mentioned about kidneys and prep. Do you take BP meds too? I ask because I just finished reading on another board that a lady now has stage 3 I think renal failure, due to Fleet prep and Ace Inhibitor, Lisinopril. Isn't that horrible and very unfortunate. It's on the Bowel Disorders board under a Sticky note. Thought I would warn you just in case. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    You mentioned about kidneys and prep. Do you take BP meds too? I ask because I just finished reading on another board that a lady now has stage 3 I think renal failure, due to Fleet prep and Ace Inhibitor, Lisinopril. Isn't that horrible and very unfortunate. It's on the Bowel Disorders board under a Sticky note. Thought I would warn you just in case.
    Thank you so much!!! I remember hearing something about it in the news. I take five bp meds (including a maximum dose of an ACE inhibitor) to keep my blood pressure reasonable. It is very unpredictable but seems perfect now. My kidney function is still very good (considering) and I'd like to keep it that way!!!!

flowergirl

Closed Thread