It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• My ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User
    My ferritin

(2) months ago I had a ferritin level of a 5. Low hemoglobin too. It has now been 2 months and I went back and had everything rechecked and my Ferritin went up to 27.5 and my hemoglobin was 13.8. The doctor said these are okay. She would like the ferritin to be higher, but has anyone had an increase like this in 2 months. I am thinking this is a pretty good increase. I am still tired a bit, but not like I was. What is an ideal ferritin level?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
    peace4
    (female)

peace4 HB Userpeace4 HB Userpeace4 HB User
    Re: My ferritin

As I've learnt here at Anemia board, your ferritin should be at least 50 in order to be considered normal.

Yes, you're right, yours is a good increase. I've had my ferritin up from 9,5 to 28,5 in 2 months. And I also still feel tired but definitely not as much as before when my ferritin was at 3. It took me 2 months to raise it to 9,5 from 3; and 2 months to get it to 28,9 form 9,5! It seems the "stock" needs time to be filled up

Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User

Do you also feel exhausted sometimes. Even though my hemoglobin is normal they say, I guess if your ferritin is so low that is also another factor that causes the extreme exhaustion. I am sure menopause does not help either!!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
    Nina01
    (female)

Nina01 HB User

I went to the dermotologist last week because my hair seems to be falling out faster than normal. She checked my ferritin and it was 13, so she has me taking iron and vitamin C twice a day. About 5 months ago, I had a surgery that called endometrial ablasion because my periods were so heavy that I literally would be home-bound for a day or two each month.

I am just wondering why my iron is now low, so long after the surgery. I would not have been surprised if it was low before the surgery. I am wondering if this is a delayed reaction to years of heavy bleeding? I called my OB this week and asked them if they had checked my iron before the surgery. She said that my hemoglobin was normal, but they did not actually test my ferritin level at the time. Is it possible for the hemoglobin to be normal but the ferritin to be low?

I am encouraged to hear that you ladies have been able to raise your level of ferritin, but my dermotolgist said they like it to be 70! How will I ever get it that high?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

AshleyMichele23--An ideal ferritin would be somewhere between 70-100 with 50 being the lowest. I have not hit 50 yet but I THINK that I'm getting there. I'm starting to feel better again. It happens everytime my ferritin raises. I can tell you when it goes up by how I feel. FLFLOWERGIRL

Nina01--Yes, it is possible and very common for the ferritn to be low (without anemia) or a lowered Hgb. The lowered ferritin is a gradual process in stages. The end stage of the ferritin stores is when the anemia sets in. This is why the ferritin testing should be standard like the CBC. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
    jlh1002
    (female)

jlh1002 HB User

My HGB has been low normal for several years. In June I had my Ferritin tested as my hair has been falling out and I have been exhausted. My Ferritin was 17, not to mention I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. After 2 months of 65 mg of iron twice per day, my Ferritin was 47. Feel better but not completely up to par at 47. Hope to get it higher!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
    peace4
    (female)

peace4 HB Userpeace4 HB Userpeace4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ashleymichele23 View Post
    Do you also feel exhausted sometimes. Even though my hemoglobin is normal they say, I guess if your ferritin is so low that is also another factor that causes the extreme exhaustion. I am sure menopause does not help either!!
    Yes, I do feel exhausted sometimes, especially before my periods, and when I don't get enough sleep which happens often (not willingly). My legs sometimes get so tired just after a few minutes of normal to quick walking. And there are times when I wake up with tired legs...

My hemoglobin was 16.1 with my Ferritin still at 9.5. So my hemolobin was more than normal with my Ferritin far from being at least something

Not sure about menopause, I'm still far from it.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
    shimsham
    (male)

shimsham HB User

What actually is ferritin.cheers

Closed Thread