HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anemia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/)
-   -   those who've had a racing heart with their anemia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/633933-those-whove-had-racing-heart-their-anemia.html)

Trixibel 09-13-2008 04:18 PM

those who've had a racing heart with their anemia

How long has it taken - or what ferritin level did you have to reach before it stopped happening? Mine is driving me crazy. I find my heart races when I wake up in the middle of the night, or if I eat too much. I'm starting to think I've got a serious heart problem and I'm only 40 and I'm terrified. It races more in the night for no good reason than it does when I exercise!

FLFLOWERGIRL 09-15-2008 09:15 AM

Re: those who've had a racing heart with their anemia

Trixibel--It takes a long time for some people. Like many of the symptoms associated with anemia you have it so long it becomes a part of you. One day you wake up and it's gone, you don't really realize it at the time.

I had palpitations after eating all the time and it wasn't even due to a large meal. It finally went away, but for me it was a while after the anemia was resolved because my bloods cells had to renew. I really don't think that you have an actual heart condition. If it doesn't resolve on its own then you will know.

Heart related palpitations--if you have an irregular heartbeat, arrhythmia or valve problems.

NON-heart related palpitations--meds, caffeine, alcohol, panic disorder, hormones-thyroid, ANEMIA.

FLFLOWERGIRL:)

beautyofspeed 09-15-2008 11:10 AM

Well, after a month of taking supplements (two a day), my palpitations have stopped. However, they come in cycles, so don't know if this is a permanent thing or not. But, as of right now (after a month to 5 weeks of treatment), they have ceased.

Trixibel 09-15-2008 04:42 PM

Thanks for your responses Flowergirl and Beauty - what supplements did you take? I take ferrogradumet containing dried ferrous sulfate 325 mg (equivalent to 105 mg of elemental iron). But I haven't been taking them lately just in case they were CAUSING the papitations (I know, mad, aren't I?) but I think anxiety is getting the better of me again. Should I take 2 a day?

FLFLOWERGIRL 09-15-2008 05:45 PM

Trixibel--You might want to start by taking at least one a day then build up to two if you can tolerate it well, if your numbers are still low. I don't believe that the iron supplements are causing the palps, most likely low iron, possibly anxiety as well. I took 300mgs of Poly Iron for a year, now I take 150mgs daily. FLFLOWERGIRL:)

beautyofspeed 09-16-2008 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=Trixibel;3729389]Thanks for your responses Flowergirl and Beauty - what supplements did you take? I take ferrogradumet containing dried ferrous sulfate 325 mg (equivalent to 105 mg of elemental iron). But I haven't been taking them lately just in case they were CAUSING the papitations (I know, mad, aren't I?) but I think anxiety is getting the better of me again. Should I take 2 a day?[/QUOTE]

I'm taking ferrous succinate 25 mg twice daily (it's in a supplement called RBC). I have no problems with constipation/loose or any nausea with these supplements.

~BOS~

finoni 10-01-2008 12:18 PM

Hi, I've just joined as I was recently diagnosed with anemia. I feel palpitations especially after work when I get home and it is really worrying me. I'm having to take three tablets a day for a month but I think I'll need to speak to the doc at length about the whole thing. I hope this time he/she listens to me because I was laughed at the last time I went. How long do you reckon I have to be on them for?

Finoni :D

FLFLOWERGIRL 10-01-2008 04:39 PM

It is recommended to stay on iron supplements for at least 6 months after the anemia has resolved to build the iron stores. Some people go to a multivitamin but a good iron supplement is best. FLFLOWERGIRL:)

hopesprings2 10-03-2008 12:07 PM

try it and see if they caused the stress
however low iron causes the heart to mess up also