It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Vitamin B12 deficiency and extremely tired don't find injections help much

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #76
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Vitamin B12 deficiency and extremely tired don't find injections help much

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emmaspaws View Post
    ....Sorry about such a long post, but maybe someone will read this and have an idea that I may not know about. Thanks for reading!

emmaspaws
    Emmaspaws,

Thank you so much for the detailed info...I have copied it for my personal use, and will refer back to it when I can. I think it is important to know, that although some problems/symptoms may be related to b12, it's important to find the cause of the problem and not just treat the symptom.

I am relieved to know that you are questioning your mother's care...too many people don't questions medical professionals....and that is why prescription side effects/errors may be one of the leading causes of death in this country.

I'll be back with you as soon as I can. Take care.

Bethsheba

PS Just a quick thought for now...has your mother been recently tested for a urinary tract infection? These can mimic memory/cognitive problems in some people and given her history it may be wise to rule it out again. This may not account for the other problems, but it should be considered.

Last edited by bethsheba; 10-16-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #77
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Emmaspaws,

How long was she on the prednisone? What dosage?

Bethsheba

Old 10-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #78
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

Hi there! It was only a 9 day supply. I don't know why she was on this. Her stomach and urinary symptoms seem to have subsided since all of the mental issues became so severe. she has only complained of leg pain and has fallen on two occasions.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #79
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

oh, the dosage was 10mg, 9 day supply but there were 40 tablets...does that mean she took 4 per day??? That was back in May. The anxiety began in September. Thanks for the help!

Linda

Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #80
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Emmaspaws,

Thanks for the info!! What meds are she taking now? And for what?

Bethsheba

Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #81
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emmaspaws View Post
    .... Her stomach and urinary symptoms seem to have subsided since all of the mental issues became so severe......

Thanks!
    This information is significant! I may know what's going on but will have to do some more homework first.

Bethsheba

Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #82
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda,

Would you please review this and make any corrections/additions? Also, do your mother's symptoms change at all if she eats sugary things (sweets or fruit), caffeine? alcohol?

When did she begin having the urinary tract infections? Was it the two years before the stomach problems? If not, when?

Prior to 9-07 healthy woman
    9-07 presented with severe stomach pains
    diagnosed with h pylori and GERD
    3-08 treatment: nexium, cipro, omeprazole
    4-08 phenazopyridine for urinary tract infections
    5-08 prednisone
    9-08 anxiety begins
    10-08 anxiety attacks
    10-08 tetracycline for h pylori, lexapro for
    anxiety/depression, xanax, metoclopramide hcl for
    stomach
    stomach and anxiety problems remain unresolved
    xanax dosage doubled to 3 mg/day
    lethargy and loss of speech,
    xanax stopped abruptly
    anger, paranoia, violent, suicidal, claustrophobic
    10-08 Hospitalized and in psych unit
    12-08prescribed Haldol, Geodon, Prolixin and Prilosec,
    Nexium, Pepto Bismol, Mylanta
    Geodon and Haldol disco’d
    prescribed Risperdal, Ambien for sleep, Klonipin for
    anxiety
    hospitalization in Oct 08
    diagnosed with depression
    prescribed klonopin
    loss of cognitive function begins
    paxil prescribed for anxiety
    experienced auditory hallucinations, (voices)
    admitted to hospital and prescribed Seroquel
    diagnosed with psychotic depression
    shaking and nervousness began after psych
    unit discharge

admitted to an ALF
    PET scan suggests alzheimers

4-08 taken off ALL meds for a month
    shaking continued, speech quieted, walks slowly, waddled gait

4 or 5 of 08 Increased desire for sweets and coffee (caffeine)??

Linda, I have not kept up with the alzheimer's research...have you checked with the "experts" on the alzheimers' board for their opinions and interpretations regarding the tests?? Again, I don't think your mother has AD (for one thing AD develops slowly and your mother's symptoms occurred rapidly)...but the people on the AD board may have info that would help.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 10-16-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added psych admit in October, 4-5 of 08 entry

Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #83
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

Hi Bethsheba. I am curious to know what you have in mind, but I will be patient and wait for what you have to say. To answer your questions...the shaking and nervousness began after she left the mental hospital at the end of October. It has never gone away. When we started seeing her 3rd Psychiatrist, he said her shaking and slowed hunched walk was a condition from side efffects of medication called Akathisia and that it would go away in time. It never has. She does stop shaking for very short periods of time which is why her Neurologist didn't think it was Parkinson. Parkinsons shaking is involuntary and continues repeatedly without stopping. Also, she is currently on Xanax 3mg per day
    Atenolol for her pulse rate (it was 152 last month, BP fine)
    Exelon 4.5mg 2 per day
    Ambien 10mg at bedtime

I think that's it.

I asked her this morning if she felt any tingling or numbness in her arms and legs and she feels no pain, but when she is laying in bed, her hands fall asleep or go numb.

I wish you could see her...she just sits and trembles all day (unless she has something to occupy her hands to make the shaking stop.

I didn't contact the alzheimers assoc. because I didn't know who to contact, but I have been going to a support group for caregivers of AD patients and they gave me a booklet that talks about symptoms and moms seem to be intermittent and all over the spectrum. Like her slowed speech and lack of emotion is like end stages, but she is still ambulatory and eats and toilets herself. I don't know...I just want a clear answer...if there is one.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #84
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda,

The falls I would be willing to bet are due to atenolol...I experienced 4 serious falls in 4 weeks (I was only on that nasty drug 4 weeks!)only to end up in the ER on Christmas Day because I fell on my face hurting my eye...atenolol also causes severe anxiety and often panic attacks, and it causes sleep problems in some people!! Your mother's doctors prescribed the xanax and ambien instead of changing her blood pressure medication...although the side effectss of atenolol are serious and can be life threatening (as I found out personally), the atenolol is not the original problem! Do not take her off atenolol cold turkey as it can result in stroke or heart attack if you do!! That is something to be addressed a little later.

I have so much to share with you...some from personal experience and some from my past two years of research.

But I really would like to know more about those uti's...when did they occur? Before the stomach problems? During? After?

A family member of mine had parkinsons disease...I don't think it is parkinson's either.

As far as the AD, we have an alzheimer's board here!!! Just go to the top of the page under "Anemia Message Board" and look for "Health Issues", click on that and look for Alzheimer's Disease...there are some very, very knowledgeable people on that board...Martha comes to mind...again, I don't believe your mother has AD, and as far as I know there are no tests to confirm AD other than doing an autopsy...but my info may not current...the people on that board should have more info. What I would suggest is finding out more about that PET test as I would question the results. No, tests aren't always accurate and if accurate they can be misinterpreted.

I personally think your mother's condition is reversible. More later.

Bethsheba

PS This is important...how long has she been on the atenolol??

Last edited by bethsheba; 10-16-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammer and typos

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #85
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
    Linda,

Would you please review this and make any corrections/additions? Also, do your mother's symptoms change at all if she eats sugary things (sweets or fruit), caffeine? alcohol?

When did she begin having the urinary tract infections? Was it the two years before the stomach problems? If not, when?

Prior to 9-07 healthy woman
    9-07 presented with severe stomach pains
    diagnosed with h pylori and GERD
    3-08 treatment: nexium, cipro, omeprazole
    4-08 phenazopyridine for urinary tract infections
    5-08 prednisone
    10-08 anxiety attacks
    10-08 tetracycline for h pylori, lexapro for
    anxiety/depression, xanax, metoclopramide hcl for
    stomach
    stomach and anxiety problems remain unresolved
    xanax dosage doubled to 3 mg/day
    lethargy and loss of speech,
    xanax stopped abruptly
    anger, paranoia, violent, suicidal, claustrophobic
    12-08prescribed Haldol, Geodon, Prolixin and Prilosec,
    Nexium, Pepto Bismol, Mylanta
    Geodon and Haldol disco’d
    prescribed Risperdal, Ambien for sleep, Klonipin for
    anxiety
    shaking and nervousness continued(when did this begin??)
    diagnosed with depression
    prescribed klonopin
    loss of cognitive function begins
    paxil prescribed for anxiety
    experienced auditory hallucinations, (voices)
    admitted to hospital and prescribed Seroquel
    diagnosed with psychotic depression
    admitted to an ALF
    PET scan suggests alzheimers

4-08 taken off ALL meds for a month
    shaking continued, speech quieted, walks slowly,
    waddled gait

Linda, I have not kept up with the alzheimer's research...have you checked with the "experts" on the alzheimers' board for their opinions and interpretations regarding the tests?? Again, I don't think your mother has AD (for one thing AD develops slowly and your mother's symptoms occurred rapidly)...but the people on the AD board may have info that would help.

Bethsheba
    I just went back and looked at your questions and forgot to answer your first one...you asked about eating sweets or caffeine and if her symptoms changed. I don't know if her symptoms change, but she craves coffee and sweets all of the time...never passes it up. She used to be that she would have her coffee with meals but not usually in between meals and she never hardly ate sweets. Now, when we go to the store, she wants to get coffee cake to eat with her coffee. She has gained a little weight because of this...this has just been since April or May.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #86
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda,

If at all possible, try to prevent her from having anything with sugar, caffeine, or alcohol (although it is unlikely she is "drinking," alcohol can be found in mouthwash, cough syrup, etc)....and then note the results.

Was she ever diagnosed with high blood pressure? Or was she prescribed the atenolol for the heart rate only?

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 10-16-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #87
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Hi Bethsheba & Linda

I hope you don't mind if I get in on this.What a horrible time for you & your mom Linda...my heart goes out to you.Bethsheba you are a wonderful person....I can't believe how much you're trying to help Linda's mom....You Are An Angel!

I'm still wondering what your mom's B12 level is.I researched B12 'til kingdom come and I agree with RainbowsEnd that all those stomach meds can and do deplete B12.Plus as we get older we don't absorb nutrients as well and have less stomach acid.There are a lot of studies going on how B12(the methylmalonic type Not cyanocabalomin!)is being used to treat patients who are just elderly and also who have other health issues including Alzheimers.They are finding it helps patients recover their memory and they are more clear thinking plus the B12 goes right to the CNS and can repair a lot of the neurological damage.

That is why your mom's drs. should be giving her B12 no matter what.It's non'toxic and is Beneficial.Even the liquid form(they sell it in health food stores...I think it's about $12.00)is really good.It comes with a dropper made in the cap.....you just put it under the tongue.Ask her dr. what her B12 level is......Demand to know what it is!

I know I'm very passionate about B12 as RainbowsEnd is also.There's too many drs. out there who are not up to date on this subject.Did you know that most people who are low in B12 are mis-diagnosed as having a "psychiatric" problem?

Well I don't want to push the B12 thing...it's just one of many things that may be going on with your mom.She should be getting B12 even if she isn't deficient,because older people need it to prevent it from getting low anyways....that's what the experts say!

I really care...it just breaks my heart that your mom's life was fine 'til the drs. started giving her all those drugs.

Don't give up hope Linda...I'm hoping and praying your mom will get better.

Thank you again Bethsheba for all your help and for caring about everyone.I will let you know what happens when I ask my GP for a lyme test...I'm sure he'll say no,but Cindy said he should've checked it anyways,because of all my symptoms......if he won't let me have a lyme test and also check my ferritin level......he's getting dumped ASAP...I'll look for a real dr.Isn't it terrible how we have to beg for tests?Not right at all.

I will keep checking in to see how things are going~Scout

Old 10-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #88
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
    Hi Bethsheba & Linda

I hope you don't mind if I get in on this.What a horrible time for you & your mom Linda...my heart goes out to you.Bethsheba you are a wonderful person....I can't believe how much you're trying to help Linda's mom....You Are An Angel!

I'm still wondering what your mom's B12 level is.I researched B12 'til kingdom come and I agree with RainbowsEnd that all those stomach meds can and do deplete B12.Plus as we get older we don't absorb nutrients as well and have less stomach acid.There are a lot of studies going on how B12(the methylmalonic type Not cyanocabalomin!)is being used to treat patients who are just elderly and also who have other health issues including Alzheimers.They are finding it helps patients recover their memory and they are more clear thinking plus the B12 goes right to the CNS and can repair a lot of the neurological damage.

That is why your mom's drs. should be giving her B12 no matter what.It's non'toxic and is Beneficial.Even the liquid form(they sell it in health food stores...I think it's about $12.00)is really good.It comes with a dropper made in the cap.....you just put it under the tongue.Ask her dr. what her B12 level is......Demand to know what it is!

I know I'm very passionate about B12 as RainbowsEnd is also.There's too many drs. out there who are not up to date on this subject.Did you know that most people who are low in B12 are mis-diagnosed as having a "psychiatric" problem?

Well I don't want to push the B12 thing...it's just one of many things that may be going on with your mom.She should be getting B12 even if she isn't deficient,because older people need it to prevent it from getting low anyways....that's what the experts say!

I really care...it just breaks my heart that your mom's life was fine 'til the drs. started giving her all those drugs.

Don't give up hope Linda...I'm hoping and praying your mom will get better.

Thank you again Bethsheba for all your help and for caring about everyone.I will let you know what happens when I ask my GP for a lyme test...I'm sure he'll say no,but Cindy said he should've checked it anyways,because of all my symptoms......if he won't let me have a lyme test and also check my ferritin level......he's getting dumped ASAP...I'll look for a real dr.Isn't it terrible how we have to beg for tests?Not right at all.

I will keep checking in to see how things are going~Scout
    It's true she was given a LOT of meds and it has crossed my mind that maybe the drugs they gave her in the hospital did permanent damage to her brain! All the doctors tell me it's not possible, but I'm not convinced. The best way to describe mom is like a scared little child who smokes and drinks coffee. She asks permission to do everything...go to bed, take a shower, smoke a cigarette...really sad. This woman's life is completely opposite of what it was. I have convinced her GP to take the B-12 test. He said he ordered it back in March when she was admitted into the ALF, but the results were not in her file, it's nice to know that he followed up on that one! The ALF director is trying to get the results from the lab. I am reading the book "Could it be B-12" and I have found that the mental illness chapter has stories that are almost identicle to Mom's. It gives me hope, you know? Thanks for all you do!

Linda

Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #89
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

Mom has been drinking coffee all of her adult life, I don't think we could stop her from drinking coffee. The ALF only lets her have it in the morning. I don't notice her more worked up after she drinks it. That's just it, we could be riding in the car or sitting outside playing with the kids...she just shakes nervously. The only time it gets worse is when she thinks about going back to the ALF. She hates it there, but I can't take her 24/7. I will lose my own mind!

The Atenolol was only for her pulse rate, she has never had high bp in fact all of her life she has probably been healthier than most young people. She didn't eat very well living by herself, she lived on cereal and cheese with bread for meals. She was always pinching pennies and had no desire to cook a meal each night for one person. Weekends were the exception.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #90
    huffle
    (female)

huffle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
    sore tongue,food didn't always taste right
    Scout~
    Your the first person I have heard confirm that the sort tongue is related directly to B-12. My levels are around 220. So the doc said no to shots because the insurance would not cover them unless I was under 200. Well went in today and told him that the pharmacist had said a years supply would run around $30 if I did the shots myself. So he wrote me a script and I'll get it filled tomarrow. Can't wait to not have that feeling that I need to grab a glass of milk to cool off my tongue.
    Thanks everyone for all the good info.

Huffle

Closed Thread