It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Injections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
    GreenGal77
    (female)

GreenGal77 HB User
    Iron Injections

Has anyone ever done this? I've heard it's painful and just looking for opinions/experiences.

My doctors are thinking I may have to do that because my levels are so low and despite trying different kinds I'm just not tolerating the oral supplements well at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Iron Injections

GreenGal77--I was like you and was not able to tolerate iron such as Ferris Sulfate. I became so ill (ended up in the ER) from it that they took me off iron completely for a while. Then I was prescribed Poly Iron 150 twice daily=300mgs of elemental iron for 1 year. My Hgb was 8.5 with a 2 ferritin when I was diagnosed. The Poly Iron tha I currently take is a completely different form, no ~iron salts~ that are very harsh and probably your problem. You can ask your pharmacist if they carry this, It's worth a call. It also had Vit-C in it for absorption. I feel that it saved me because the only alternative at the time was IV iron therapy and the doctors backed out of that decision for me to have this because I was extremely ill.

I have not heard of a great deal of success with iron injections, my Hematologist wouldn't consider it. But I will tell you from my own experience to try more types of iron. I couldn't believe it when the Hematologist told me to go back on the oral iron supplements. But I did it, and it worked to my amazement!

If you can find iron that you can tolerate, it should only take 2-3 months of high dose iron to get your Hgb to normal range = non anemic state. Then you will have to stay on iron for a long time at least 6 months to rebuild iron stores.

You need rest (so that you don't have heart problems, your Hgb is very low), multivitamin and iron supplements. To be safe you should also have your B-12 and folate checked, this can cause anemia as well. Sometimes it gets missed if not tested for. You are not going to fix your problem though by taking iron supplements or IV therapy if you decide to do that. You must fix the bleeding source or you will never get well and you may not be able to build your numbers. I had to have an endometrial ablation to stop my heavy bleeding before I could get my numbers up. Good luck to you and keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

IV iron won't last long for me. After 3 months it drops rapidly. My gastro dr thought it could be my body produced the cells to damage my own organs. It looks like my world end.....

No one able to find where my blood lost? Upper and lower endoscopies, capsule endoscopy, I'm in menopause now. Eating is not a problem, all chemistry within the normal range except iron. Where my iron gone? Why l'm loosing it so rapidly? Only have a ***** of my finger to test "Blood sugar". Would that can cause anemia?

I try to take iron tablets. It caused me very constipation. End up I pushed too hard, my uterus fall out. I refused to take it anymore because I don't want them to remove my reproductive organ.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
    SMMom
    (female)

SMMom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenGal77 View Post
    Has anyone ever done this? I've heard it's painful and just looking for opinions/experiences.

My doctors are thinking I may have to do that because my levels are so low and despite trying different kinds I'm just not tolerating the oral supplements well at all.
    I also am always tired and anemic. I do take the shots, iron pills bound me up. The iron shots do work, yes sometimes they can be painful and it does take a while for your iron supply to build up. I take Aranesp 100 mcg. I am diabetic and a kidney transplant of 32 and 14 respectively. I feel lucky because I am almost 60 and am able to do the things I want to do. I don't know the reason for the anemia but my mom was anemic and my grandma so it must just be in my genes.

Closed Thread