It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
    welshgirlie2
    (female)

welshgirlie2 HB User
    Low ferritin

Hi,

I found out I had low ferritin in June as I had been experiencing a lot of hair loss. My ferritin was then 22. I have been taking 210mg of iron 3 times per day for over 3 months and my ferritin has only gone up to 32.

Does this sound normal? As I need to get my ferritin over 70 but at this rate it will take years. I also take l-lysine and vitamin c each day to try and help absorbtion.

I dont know what caused my ferritin to drop. When it was tested in April it was 46. 2 months later it had dropped to 22 but the doctors aren't worried by this. It was me who had to persuade them to prescribe me iron tablets.

Any advice on how to increase absortion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User
    Re: Low ferritin

welshgirl...it doesnt sound that rare...I have read it can take a year to get ferritin up to a hair-growing level. Mine was a one, then a 12, then a 16 all in a matter of about three months. I dont know what it is now, but I am guessing it has gone up because my hair is falling out a bit less, and I am feeling much better....

A period can take a lot of iron for you so perhaps you were tested right after a period...

Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

The very best and quickest way to buid your ferritin is to eat red meat 3X weekly along with your iron supplement. You should not take your iron with food or tea, wine because this along with other things (you can read about) can and will inhibit the absorption up to 50% or more. Be sure that you have Vit-C already added in your supplement, I find this is best and cuts down on supplements. It does take years for some of us to build the ferritin stores and for others it is much shorter duration. Ferritin will rise and fall depending on when you test it and your bodys demand for iron. Most importantly is how it recovers and maintains itself in the long run. You are smart to persuade the doctors, keep it up unitil you get the results and answers that you want! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
    welshgirlie2
    (female)

welshgirlie2 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I will keep up with the iron untill I see an increase. I do eat a lot more red meat and meat in general now. I have also upped my intake of green vegetables and generally eat healthy so I cant see my diet being a problem. I also don't drink coffee, tea or wine so I was hoping to see more of an improvement but I must just be one of those who struggle to raise ferritin. I will keep trying though!

Thanks again

Closed Thread