It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• feritin level is 11 my iron level is low and my saturated iron level is low what coul

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
    junebug15
    (female)

junebug15 HB User
    feritin level is 11 my iron level is low and my saturated iron level is low what coul

feritin level is 11 my iron level is low and my saturated iron level is low what could this mean. I have been getting iron infusions for the last two years now i am told i need to take a new iron that takes 5hrs to put through my veins this week because im starting to drop agin, my ferritin level when first found was 3.5 now i go as high as 26 then i start to drop again my hemo doc said he has come to the conclusions that my intestines will not absorb iron and b12. can some one give me some insight on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: feritin level is 11 my iron level is low and my saturated iron level is low what

Hi Junebug15--Welcome to the boards! What type of iron IV have you been getting? Usually it does take several hrs for IV iron therapy, it depends on how much iron you are getting at one time. If your ferritin is only going into the 20's, It sounds like you have not been getting enough.

Have you had any testing done through a GI doc to rule out reasons for malabsorption? This is one of the things that takes place when a low ferritin is found.

Some people have a hard time holding onto storing ferritin for different reasons some of which are not found.

Some malabsorption syndromes are PA an AI disease, Celiac disease, Crohn's disease, H-Pylori, bacteria overgrowth of the sm intestine, transcobalamin II deficiency, inborn error of B-12 metabolism.

PA and Celiac (autoimmune diseases), both are very common and often cause a deficiency in both iron and B-12. The list goes on....there are drugs like PPI's, H2 blockers, alcohol abuse, antacids. A result of surgery such as gastric bypass, ulcers etc. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread