It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• 3 Transfusions, 10 100mg iron infusions, HGB went down again to 6.4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
    surendra08
    (male)

surendra08 HB User
    3 Transfusions, 10 100mg iron infusions, HGB went down again to 6.4

My wife has been suffering from severe anemia for the last one year. She had 3 transfusions, after which HGB went up by 2-3-4, but iron infusion (weekly for 10 weeks) did not do any thing (except FRR 8 -> 140 -> 10). Now 1 month after the infusion, HGB (was 11.8 after transfusion) is down to 6.5 again.

She has extreme case of bloating, leg swelling and Tachycardia.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User
    Re: 3 Transfusions, 10 100mg iron infusions, HGB went down again to 6.4

The dr need to find the cause of the bleeding she has to be bleeding internally for her numbers to be dropping so quickly what kind of testing has she had done?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
    surendra08
    (male)

surendra08 HB User

She has gotten colonoscopy, stool occult test done. both neg.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

That is not enough testing. Has she had endoscopy to look at the stomach and a small bowel study (swallow the capsule), this is not part of the colonoscopy? If not, these also need to be done if it is thought to be from blood loss. The stool occult only shows intermittent bleeding. It is really only used as a tool, but that is a good sign when it was neg. What are her doctor's saying about this? In her case it sounds like it may very well be due to blood loss. It will continue until the source is found. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

i agree with flowergirl there are many more test that can be done is she seeing a gastro dr? if not she needs to if you dont find the source she is not going to get better good luck charlene

Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

She needs gynecological testing as well....women can bleed from their uterus because of polyps, cysts, etc.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
    kittykat80
    (female)

kittykat80 HB User

actually in my opinion, she needs to see a hematologist (blood doctor) and he/she can do series of tests and/or send them to the hospital to undergo other testings by various other docs namely the GI doc (and others if deemed necessary). They should find out what exactly is causing the hgb to keep dipping (mine is the same way along with hct and rbc as well).

best of luck

Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

kittykat80--Hematologists are always a good choice. Have you found a reason for your blood problems? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
    kittykat80
    (female)

kittykat80 HB User

FLFLOWERGRL- yes, I have ITP and something else. Every once in a while I have to have RBC transfusion. Now add Platelet transfusion and many Iron infusion.

The recent one was when I was in the hospital. I was there for a month and some all days. I had 3 platelet transfusion, later had 3 RBC tranfusion along with 2 iron infusion daily for a week then 1 iron infusion daily for a week.

But this is the 4th time in 2 yrs that it was done except iron infusion and platelet transfusion. Those 2 were new and my doc (w/o bone marrow biopsy) decided that I probably have ITP.

I seem to always have High WBC, Low RBC, Low Hgb, Low Hct, Low Mcv, Mch, Mchc and plt. The recent work up was ^^, other tests in the past will indicate High Wbc, Low RBC, Low Hgb and Hct, can't remember the MCV/MCH/MCHC, but normal Platelet count.

I had my blood drawn last week due to excessive bruising (they got worried again) and my numbers are dropping esp. the platelet despite the transfusion less than a month ago. Currently my RBC, H & H are low and my Wbc is High. The numbers are not yet in transfusion level, but getting close. My platelet went from 70 something to 320 something to 120 (it's dropping). So, they want me to have a Bone marrow biopsy done to see if something else other than ITP might be the cause. We're waiting for insurance to approve the biopsy.

The reason they are keeping a close eye on me is because I have other serious medical complications that are being treated by 4 other doc(s).

I'm just thankful that all my doc(s) keep each other updated when something arises. It took me almost 5 yrs to finally find this kind of care (had lots of run arounds and then bad docs and so on...).

you?

Last edited by kittykat80; 11-04-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittykat80--Oh my gosh, you do have your hands full. I suppose that I should look at trying to get my ferritin up as a cake walk. I'm really sorry that you are having such difficult times. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I know I was ill with anemia 8.5 hgb and 2 ferritin for a year and was unable to even go out to a store and that was bad enough. I hope that you are able to resolve some of these issues soon. I have not felt really well since my anemia but they never (thank goodness) find anything wrong. I do have Hashimotos so perhaps that too plays a role with in my wellness. Is ITP an autoimmune disease? I know there are so many types of anemia. I have read about others having this problem on the blood disorders board before, but I'm not too sure what all it involves. You are really lucky to have a great team of doctors, this is hard to find. I know first hand from my own experience. When I was ill I went to 10 doctors and they all looked at me and felt sorry for me, but did very little to help. I was just lucky to get through it on my own basically. I hope that you get answers soon from the BMB. Do keep us posted! Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
    surendra08
    (male)

surendra08 HB User

Sorry to have not posted any thing for a so long. we had a scary ordeal this week.

After noticing that HGB was 6.4, the doctor decided to give another set of transfusions, only this time 3 units in one sitting. My wife had tolerated 2 units without any problems, so we did not object (what is one more). However, midway during the third unit, she started to cough, began complaining of chest discomfort. The doctor was called and noticed a heavy fluid build-up in her lungs and she was rushed to ER.

To make this long story of this ordeal short: at the ER, she was passing in and out with HR of 180, respiration rate of 48. I had almost lost her. Luckily, after 3 hrs, she became stable and was transferred to ICU. After staying 3 more days in the hospital we came home yesterday.

She is on a low dose beta-blocker (HR 115; BP 98/60). For now the HGB is 12 (but how long ? that is the question). Next week probably she will have endoscopy etc.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

im glad she is doing better. how scary hopefully she will find the problem and it can be addressed. im sure she dont ever want to deal with another transfusion. what about an iron iv next time? they are not without risk either though. did the dr say why this happened? good luck charlene

Closed Thread