It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
    melanieschutt23
    (female)

melanieschutt23 HB User
    Anemia

i was diagnosed with anemia and my level was 87 is this low and what is considered low ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Anemia

melanieschutt23--Is that 8.7, what is your lab range? What is your Ferritin level. You should also get copies of your labs for referencing.

To answer your questions, 8-10 is a grad 2 level considered ~moderate~ anemia just below mild anemia. It is low and not a good thing; but not as bad as it could be, it is not serious/severe or life threatening at this stage, although, it is very unhealthy. There are many symptoms at this level and can often involve heart issues. I had tachycardia and palps due to 8.5 Hgb and 2 ferritin. Good luck to you. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
    sarapie1
    (female)

sarapie1 HB User

Hi saw that you were anemic and used lyseine and vitamin c. My ferritin was 3 and my hemoglobin was 10.9. My iron was at 22.
    I start ferrous sulfate tomorrow. Would love to know about the lyseine? Thanks for your help.
    shari

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 11-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
    lorilori
    (female)

lorilori HB User
    Smile Re: Anemia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melanieschutt23 View Post
    i was diagnosed with anemia and my level was 87 is this low and what is considered low ?
    Hi Melanie, I'm in the same boat...I think my level is 80 which my doctor said was low, but from what I've read, the symptoms I'm having are way to strong for 80....I can barely function at times due to the fatigue..what are your symptoms like? I'm newly anemic and don't know a lot about it...I was vegetarian for 22 years with no issues...it wasn't til I started eating meat (about 8 months ago) that this all started...(go figure)....please help..it freaks me out how symptomatic I am..if it's normal for me to feel this way it would be a real comfort to know... Thanks!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
    lorilori
    (female)

lorilori HB User

Hi...you seem to have a lot of info...maybe you can help me...I emailed melanieschutt23 as well...my iron was at 80 or 8.0...i get the impression that this isn't so bad but I'm extrelmely symptomatic....very tired, unable to concentrate...feel like my brain is mush...it would be a great comfort to know if what I'm feeling is normal based on my numbers....I also don't understand how I became anemic...an embarrasing question...can drinking (alcohol) have anything to do with it? I never used to drink as my ex-husband woudln't allow it, but now I'm enjoying a couple glasses of wine after dinner in the evenings...could this be doing it?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

lorilori--Sorry I was not clear enough. Although it is not as bad as it could be, it is not good!! Some people come on here and are very scared, don't know what the severity of there anemia is so I tell them exactly. Anemia symptoms DO NOT always correlate with the HGB value. Some people with mild anemia feel almost as bad as a serious anemia, if you see what I mean. How healthy you are and age also makes a big difference of how well your body can tolerate the anemia. And the rate of development is also in proportion to the symptoms. A quicker development the more profound the symptoms. But at a 8.0 if this were the case you would probably see a lot of blood because your Hgb is very low. I was just trying to put it into perspective for the above poster that it is moderate anemia, not severe/serious. Big difference in needing a blood transfusion and being a point away. But at 8.0 (not the same as the poster above at 8.7 hgb) you are borderline serious/severe, just to let you know. Those points make a difference. So, although it is not life serious/severe, life threatening, it's not healthy and not at all in any way conducive to the body functions; such as heart (brain and organs) on and on.

I was 8.5 and cannot imagine anything lower. I became very ill with many strange symptoms, had to stop working (be cared for 1 year by my dh), and it has taken the best part of 2 years to recover. My anemia was complicated though because other things happened as a result.

Have you also had your B-12, Folate checked? I hope so. Drinking is a great question! It can deplete B vitamins and iron (more so B's I believe) and would depend on how much drinking is going on. Red wine with dinner will wash out the iron that you are taking in while white wine is a natural enhancer. Ice tea will also wash out the iron intake. I was drinking red wine or iced tea with my meals and taking a PPI's 1 hr before my main iron meal. All of this along with heavy periods (polyps) helped cause this problem. But it does take years to deplete at this rate. So, drink white wine. moderately of course!! I can tell you that I was too ill for 1 year to even think about wanting to have a glass of wine. Now I can enjoy one, once in a while, never red though.

I really think that what you are feeling is most likely very much related to a 8.0 Hgb because that's pretty low! They thought that I had MS. Hope this helps a little.

You do need to see a GI doc and have other things ruled out. I don't know your age but when you are older this should always be done. And no matter what age anemia should be diagnosed with a cause. Good luck to you and keep us posted! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
    lorilori
    (female)

lorilori HB User

Thanks so much for the info...it really is a relief to know that what I'm feeling is not out of the ordinary for my numbers..It just gets freaky when I feel these "waves" of sheer exhaustion where all of a sudden i can't keep my eyes open...even in meetings...I don't think it's been noticed yet but who knows....it's almost like a swoonig kind of effect where I could almost pass out but I don't...my b12 numbers were okay but my doc has me injecting it weekly right now to help the iron levels...I just don't understand whty it's not a steady recovery...I know after each period I'm set back a bit but last week I really started feeling good..like I was finally on the mend...and then this week, I'm suddenly feeling almost worse than ever (I had my period over 2 weeks ago so that's not it)...I just don't understand that part...and also the reasons why.....I was vegetarian for 22 years and was totally fine...never had a problem..then started eating meat and all of a suddden I've become really anemic! my doc seems to think it's a coincidence and I guess I'd have to agree with him...but I just don't understand what could suddenly happen to make someone so anemic...any ideas? I'm 33 and otherwise in good health...like I had admitted I have been drinking wine (zinfandel)..the pink stuff...so I don't know if this is considered red or white...but otherwise, no other problems....lots of stress at work but I'm sure that can't be it...any ideas?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

Lori, when I get my period, it is the same thing. However, I feel the effects like a week after my period has stopped. I know this is weird, maybe it takes that amount of time to draw the iron from vital organs or something. I am SURE of this though. Same thing with blood draws. If they take a lot of blood (like three tubes) I will feel it a week later. Also, I have good days and bad days during 'receovery'. I have nights I cant sleep at all, and nights I sleep the whole night through. I guess until the iron is built up all the way, you have setbacks.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
    lorilori
    (female)

lorilori HB User

thanks so much....I don't know anything about this stuff and your input really helps...question...I was just looking over my recquisition form for my bloodwork (I'm going back tonight)..my doc checked off creatinine, uric acid, sodium, and then wrote u/t (don't know what this is), b12, and folate....any idea why he didn't check off hemoglobin?

Closed Thread