It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Interesting info on being low in Vitamins Including B12

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User
    Lightbulb Interesting info on being low in Vitamins Including B12

hi everyone

For anyone interested I came upon some interesting facts.When your body is low in vitamins....which includes being low in B12 you are prone to have;
    Weight Loss
    Fluid Retention
    Anemia
    Osteoporosis
    Easy Bruising
    Peripheral Neuropathy(nerve damage...)
    Muscle Weakness
    Poor Balance
    Parathesis(pins 'n needles in hands/feet)

Of course some of these I was aware of,but the fluid retention was a surprise to me!

When I was deficient in B12 I remember having fluid retention really bad and also having a high(30+)protein count in my urine tests.

So after researching on this I found that we need protein in the blood to keep fluid from leaking out of the blood vessels into body tissue(edema) which causes fluid retention.

So this second time around for me with low B12 I have noticed that the fluid retention has gotten better after several B12 injections....makes a whole lotta sense to me.

RainbowsEnd....hi buddy!

Very good in fact Excellent Advice to Bill....I Completely agree with your post to him.When I was very sick back in 1996 my urine had lots of protein in it and I had symptoms of Lupus.In 1999 I was given a lupus anti-coagulant test(which I just found out recently from Vee on the lupus board)is not really a lupus test(strange,isn't that?),anyways I tested borderline positive for that test.Lupus also can cause anemias too(interesting!).Well I just wanted to share that with you.

There are so many health issues that can be related to each other....that's why I'm so thankful for everyone here sharing their knowledge/advice about different health topics......we all benefit so much from it.

Do you happen to know if there is a specific test for Vitamin D?I thought they just check your calcium for that,but I believe I'm wrong on that one

I am so happy that your good health has returned my friend!IFor your information I am a fan of dolls!I have been purchasing a few "ooak polymer dolls" from the place where you bid on and buy things...they have some lovely dolls on there.I told Cindy that bidding on dolls is like therapy for me....I love my little doll collection....and your dolls sound so adorable.Cindy is my good friend and she sells all kinds of things(she got real busy last week and made like $1,000 on orders...so she's saving up for her dr. visit at TCI in New York on Dec.1rst).She's been real tired from working on getting all those orders mailed,but she takes her time and stops to rest when she needs it.

Even when we're sick we can do things that help us feel like we are contributing and that's why Cindy said she's so glad she started her store when she first became sick,because it gives her something to do and it helps pay for all her medical debts.She is such a kind person and a great friend.I've sold a few things on auction,but I don't have a store...I really like buying better than selling....hahaha.So I wish I could see what your dolls look like maybe you could describe them to me...I love dolls...especially handmade ones.

Scout~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User
    Re: Interesting info on being low in Vitamins Including B12

HI Scout...

Yes I was checked out for lupus too funny how a lot of us had the same tests
    I had very bad joint pain this was when first got sick and a redness rash on my face typical lupus rash I was convinced I had it my niece had the same thing and the tested here too.... It has been interesting becuase since having B12 and more importantly for this instance not having gluten I am no longer red or rashy infact my skin is very glowy and if I dont say so myself I even look younger But if I have gluten red again....

It is fun bidding isnt it fun selling too It is great cindy has done so well from it that is great.....

Anyway I must go my daughter has just been in to see me I ma sitting in my fave spot my bedroom all purple and cream shabby chic style I love that I love the silk drapes and the bed my Dh made my comfy chair and all my candles I feel so wonderful in this space I love my home..... Any way she came in give me hugs and kisses so I better go and sit with them now....

Scout it would be so wonderful for you to find a spot in your home or else where that you can be and feel wonderful surrounded by all the things you love and adore things that remind you of fun times it is sooo healing.Light some lovely candles a lovely cup of tea and good book a soft blankie perhaps a warming fire to sit by.....

Blessings to you my dear friend talk soon

Enjoy

Last edited by robinegg; 11-26-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Interesting info on being low in Vitamins Including B12

I too didn't realise how important B12 was until i read people's posts about it. Fortunately i never had problems with my B12, but then again i was taking a daily Multi B vitamin so not sure if has helped with the B12. My ferretin, Vit D and iodine were the ones which were extremely low.

It took me many years to find a doctor who knew what was what and to figure out what to test and how to treat me. I ended up having a thyroid condition known as Hashimoto's. A lot of thyroid sufferers also have low/difficult to raise iron, gluten intolerance, low Vit D and some have low iodine too. Now that i've got myself more or less sorted out, i'm now getting my dad's doctor to test him for all these things too. Problem is that his GP seems to think everything is "normal", but his B12 was only 20 points from the bottom. So now i've bought him some multi B supplements and once he's finished it i'll get him retested.

With Vit D there are 2 types of pathology tests that i know of. My doctor always writes D3 on the pathology request. I've never heard of testing Vit D via a calcium test. A lot of people have low Vit D and find once they start supplementing that certain health issues disappear.

It's so good having the internet around and being able to do research and get insight from others.

I agree on relaxation too. All my test results where coming along nicely, then i went through a huge amount of stress for about 6 - 8 weeks and my next retest showed iron and thyroid tests had dropped like a rock!! Just goes to show we need as much calm in our lives or a place or an activity we can retreat into which is calming for both mind, body and spirit. Rainbows End, your room sounds so lovely and relaxing

Closed Thread