It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Updated Ferritin and iron labs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    Unhappy Updated Ferritin and iron labs

I have taken about 3 months of iron supplement,which is only 14-18mg of iron (I did not want to take excess of iron, just afraid of iron-toxic). I have a whole cereal meal every day, too. But I also have heavy periods. So labs came out as following

Ferritin 42.7 (6-159)==the original was 34
    VB12 1598 (156-672)==the original was 242
    Folate 7.52 (3.2-6.4) ==Fell to less high level from >24
    Serum Iron 8.97 (11-30)==Even lower than previously
    TIBC 54.97 (50-77)

RBC 4.30 (3.5-5.0)
    WBC 6.1 (4-10)
    HGB 131 (110-150)
    HCT 0.391 (0.35-0.45)
    MCH 30.6 (27-31)
    MCHC 336 (320-360)
    RDW 13.1 (11-16)
    LY% 43.2 (20-40)==Don't know why it is always higher than normal as previously
    NE% 46.2 (50-70)==Don't know why it is always lower than normal as previously
    LY# 2.64 (1.0-3.3)
    NE# 2.82 (1.8-6.4)
    PLT 201 (100-300)==higher than the original
    PCT 0.159 (0.11-0.28)
    MPV 7.9 (7-12)
    MCV 91.1 (82-95)
    EO% 1.9 (0.5-5)
    BA% 0.4 (0-1)
    EO# 0.12 (0.05-0.3)
    BA#0.02 (0-0.1)

My doctor insisted that I am not anemic at all, so I have to self-treated. I felt like lack of oxygen after having blood work (more blood loss). I plan to take higher dose of iron, 27 mg every day(what I take is Ferrochel, registered patented highly absorble iron). but still afraid of mineral overloading! What is your opinion?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Last edited by cutejenny77; 12-24-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User
    Re: Updated Ferritin and iron labs

your far from iron overload people on here take 150 mg 3x a day as long as you keep an eye on your iron levels every few months youll be fine

Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

cutejenny77--Your doc is right, you are NOT anemic at this point. Is it possible that your B-12 results are skewed by supplements? Your numbers look good regarding your anemia.

If you haven't already, you need to stop the blood loss of heavy periods or it will continue to happen and you will remain on supplements until menopause, if this is your reason for anemia. For some of us, we remain on supplements the rest of our lives regardless.

You need a high dose iron to build the ferritin stores. It takes a long time, you are clearly responding well. When they check your iron serum do they do the full iron panel like the T Sat-% also? This is the number to look at regarding iron overload and you are not near overloading. A fasting ferritin greater than 200 and a T Sat% of 45% is indicative of overload. So, you will be fine, you just need to monitor with blood tests.

When taking calcium with iron, it inhibits the absorption. So, when taking a multivitamin with iron and calcium, I'm not sure how much iron you really would be getting. Also, when eating cereal, if you are adding milk, you would be up against the same thing by inhibiting absorption once again. Some people eat their cereal with OJ to increase the results. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    cutejenny77--
    You need a high dose iron to build the ferritin stores. It takes a long time, you are clearly responding well. When they check your iron serum do they do the full iron panel like the T Sat-% also? This is the number to look at regarding iron overload and you are not near overloading. A fasting ferritin greater than 200 and a T Sat% of 45% is indicative of overload. So, you will be fine, you just need to monitor with blood tests.

When taking calcium with iron, it inhibits the absorption. So, when taking a multivitamin with iron and calcium, I'm not sure how much iron you really would be getting. Also, when eating cereal, if you are adding milk, you would be up against the same thing by inhibiting absorption once again. Some people eat their cereal with OJ to increase the results. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL
    FLowergirl,

1. % Saturation = 16.3%, which is calculated from TIBC so I am not overloaded with it at all.

2. I don't take multi vitamins now, I just take iron-focused and complex B tablets. I drink mineral water every day, too. All that I can find the best in the market is Ferrochel, as ferros bis-glycinate chelate. They claim that it is more bioavailable than other forms of iron, although I found there is 48 mg of Calcium in it (could interfere with iron? why those companis have that happen?) The instructions is to have 1 tablet daily, and warn of not exceeding the recommended dose. So I decide to take 27 mg of it every day to lesser the fatigue after blood loss.

3. I am sorry that I don't understand what OJ is

Thanks,

Jenny

Last edited by cutejenny77; 12-24-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

this wasnt directed at me but oj is orange juice and yes calcium does interfere with how much iron is absorbed my pills i take 28mg of iron that has b 12 vit c and folic acid for better outcome

Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

You don't need to worry about iron overload as your system is not absorbing the iron at a big rate. You are like most of us are/were and your iron is moving upwards slowly, so don't worry, you wont be overloading any time soon. The amount of iron you are taking is quite small. You could safely double and triple the dosage you are on now and you still wont overload.

I agree with FLFLOWERGIRL, heavy periods wont be helping your situation. Do you know why you are getting heavy periods? In my case, i only found out recently that a pelvic ultrasound i had done over 2 years ago showed a fibroid in the submucosal postion. When it's in this particular position it can lead to heavy periods, continuous spotting after the period is over, pelvic pain, infertility. Not every person will experience all these symptoms. I only began getting the bad pelvic pains more and more recently when my period has finished. I went for another ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and the fibroid has grown.

Have you had a pelvic ultrasound to rule out any issue in that area? you could have fibroids as a lot of people have them. Fibroids will cause different symptoms depending on the position they are situated. You can look it all up on the net. My doctor told me 2 years ago when i had the first ultrasound that all was normal, even though i told her my symptoms. it was only recently when i was on holidays from work i was doing a clean up of my paperwork and i found these old results and looked up what all the medical words meant and found out the information on the net matched my symptoms exactly.

Fibroids can be as a result of high estrogen as they thrive in that type of environment. They typically shrink after menopause when estrogen drops. I'm only 42 and nowhere near menopause and if i take after my mother i wont go through menopause till i'm well into my late 50's, so that's a long time to put up with bad periods, loss of blood, and bad cramps ( i never get cramps at the start of my period, only when it's all over). I'm not sure what to do. I'm on herbs from a naturopath to keep my periods 'normal', meaning light flow and regular. I don't want to stay on these herbs till i'm 60!! but don't want to get rid of the fibroid as it will only grow back if my estrogen stays high.

You might want to look into that side of things rather than simply keep taking an iron supplement, which wont fix your period problem.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Updated Ferritin and iron labs

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    I agree with FLFLOWERGIRL, heavy periods wont be helping your situation. Do you know why you are getting heavy periods? In my case, i only found out recently that a pelvic ultrasound i had done over 2 years ago showed a fibroid in the submucosal postion. When it's in this particular position it can lead to heavy periods, continuous spotting after the period is over, pelvic pain, infertility. Not every person will experience all these symptoms. I only began getting the bad pelvic pains more and more recently when my period has finished. I went for another ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and the fibroid has grown.

Have you had a pelvic ultrasound to rule out any issue in that area? you could have fibroids as a lot of people have them. Fibroids will cause different symptoms depending on the position they are situated. You can look it all up on the net. My doctor told me 2 years ago when i had the first ultrasound that all was normal, even though i told her my symptoms. it was only recently when i was on holidays from work i was doing a clean up of my paperwork and i found these old results and looked up what all the medical words meant and found out the information on the net matched my symptoms exactly.

Fibroids can be as a result of high estrogen as they thrive in that type of environment. They typically shrink after menopause when estrogen drops. I'm only 42 and nowhere near menopause and if i take after my mother i wont go through menopause till i'm well into my late 50's, so that's a long time to put up with bad periods, loss of blood, and bad cramps ( i never get cramps at the start of my period, only when it's all over). I'm not sure what to do. I'm on herbs from a naturopath to keep my periods 'normal', meaning light flow and regular. I don't want to stay on these herbs till i'm 60!! but don't want to get rid of the fibroid as it will only grow back if my estrogen stays high.

You might want to look into that side of things rather than simply keep taking an iron supplement, which wont fix your period problem.

Thanks, Audrey, Actually I have had my Estrogen tested two times, one was in the appropriate time, the other was not. All my sex hormones are at a low level in the range I asked my doctor, but she said it is just OK and ask me to wait until the hypo is corrected.

The first time I have 3 of them tested, tested on the 3rd day OF(within) the cycle.

E2 22.3 (11-165)
    Progesterone 1.08 (0.15-1.4)
    Testosterone 33.10 (14-76)

The second time I have 6 of them tested, on the 3rd day AFTER the period. They were tested at a wrong time when Estrogen rises after period was finised! But they are continously low! The endo doc said that could be caused by hypopituitarism, but still didn't confirm it

E2 76.5(11-165)
    Progesterone 0.66 (0.15-1.4)
    Testosterone 58.29 (14-76)
    PRL 3.89 (2.8-29.2)
    FSH 5.38 (2.5-10.2)
    LH2 3.68 (1.9-12.5)

I reviewed my abnormal level of NE% ,LY%, and serum iron, suspect that is caused by a chronic infection, or even a malign thyroid tumor I have TG tested firstly diagnosed with Hashi's and it was at a very high level. A 5mm size of small nodule was also found.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

Hi Cutejenny,

The best day to test is: You get your period. This is Day 1. Then the second day of bleeding, then go and get labs done the next day (this is the third day of bleeding..Day 3). If you are consistent with getting it done on the third day, your doctor will be better able to track your levels. The levels vary from day to day and it is best for your doctor to monitor your levels and see if they are raising or lowering over time. A diagnosis is not made after one test result.

There are three different types of Estrogen:

Estrone (E1)-may be used to help in diagnosis of ovarian tumor, Turner's syndrome or hypopituitarism

Estradiol (E2)-Usually used to help evaluate ovarian function. Sometimes used to see if amenorrhea is caused by menopause, pregnancy or a medical problem.

Estriol (E3)- Along with other tests, this is used to assess the risk of carrying a fetus with certain abnormalities

I have read that if the tests were done on Day 3 (of bleeding), the Estradiol should be approx. 25-75pg/ml, so you don't seem far off the mark with that. FSH should be 3-20mIU/ml and will rise as a woman enters menopause.

I hope this helps. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 12-27-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Spelling....UGH!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    Talking Re: Updated Ferritin and iron labs

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
    Hi Cutejenny,

There are three different types of Estrogen:

Estrone (E1)-may be used to help in diagnosis of ovarian tumor, Turner's syndrome or hypopituitarism

Estradiol (E2)-Usually used to help evaluate ovarian function. Sometimes used to see if amenorrhea is caused by menopause, pregnancy or a medical problem.

Estriol (E3)- Along with other tests, this is used to assess the risk of carrying a fetus with certain abnormalities

I have read that if the tests were done on Day 3 (of bleeding), the Estradiol should be approx. 25-75pg/ml, so you don't seem far off the mark with that. FSH should be 3-20mIU/ml and will rise as a woman enters menopause.

I hope this helps. Hoppy

Thanks Hoppy

My whole panel was done 4 days after the right day, so I think it could be false. Nevertheless, what you said eased me a little.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

they are called easy iron from puritans pride you can get them off line

Old 07-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #11
    stressedgirl
    (female)

stressedgirl HB User

if my menstrual cycle is irregular or stopped , which day is the best day to get my blood work done?

Closed Thread