It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• When to take iron supplement?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    When to take iron supplement?

Hi, all.

I just read about the iron supplement'd better be taken between the two dinners, not after dinners. What do you do usually? Because I often take it right after the dinner, I suspect my absorption for iron is not so great!

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
    susieq14
    (female)

susieq14 HB User
    Re: When to take iron? and side effects?

That's a good discussion question Jenny - one I've been wondering about myself. According to the information I received with the prescription iron that I take (both Niferex 150 and Ferrex 150 Forte), you should take the iron with 8 ounces of water on an empty stomach either 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating. You also need to avoid anatacids, dairy products, tea or coffee within 2 hours of taking them because "they will decrease its effectiveness". It also says not to lie down for 30 minutes.

I find it very difficult to coordinate my 2 iron tablets each day with my meals and snacks and my before breakfast and before supper Nexium that I take and Pepcid that I take before bed. I also take meds for my asthma and blood pressure and calcium supplements. I've only been dealing with taking the iron since the middle of November but it has been really an adjustment and somedays I feel like I'm going crazy.

I've been wondering if there should be any specific amount of time between each iron tablet each day. Does anyone know that? I've been taking one at 9:00 am and the other at 3:30 pm.

I try to take my first one as soon as I get to the office at about 8:45 which is just 2 hours after my 6:30 breakfast. I sort of have a routine now for taking that one. The second one is harder to fit in because if I eat a late lunch I get all fouled up and then sometimes the afternoon just flys by and I was forgetting about it and then there is only so much time after supper and time for bed... Anyway I finally decided to actually post it on my Outlook calendar at work so my computer beeps at me at 3:30.

I am seeing the hematologist on Wednesday and ironically was planning to ask her.

I was also going to ask her if weight gain is a side effect??? Has anyone noticed this? I've gained 5 pounds and attributed it to the holidays and because I'm too tired to use my treadmill every morning like I used to but now I'm wondering if the iron has anything to do with it? I seem to have a very good appetite. Knock on wood the iron has not bothered my tummy too too much - I was expecting the worst with my GERD and IBS but it has been manageable. Well sorry to ramble and apologize for asking another question within your thread Jenny but I just thought I'd add another query to the discussion.

Talk to you soon

Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    Re: When to take iron supplement?

susie, you know,

I just read a book named PRESENT KNOWLEDGE IN NUTRITION 8th Edition. That is the textbook for medical nutrition. And it said iron should be taken bt dinners. I think it is on a half empty stomache, neither on full stomache, nor on an empty stomache.

Last edited by cutejenny77; 01-04-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Closed Thread