It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Should I fire my doctor (cbc, iron, ferritin testing)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
    Should I fire my doctor (cbc, iron, ferritin testing)

I'll try to make this short. My PCP left so I have a new doctor now. Internal medicine. My old doctor had me on iron and tested cbc, iron and ferritin every 3 months.

The first time I go to see this new doctor she wants me off iron to see what happens. Although, I'm not keen on the idea, I agree. After 8 weeks of being off iron, my CBC came back fine - no anemia. So, I suggest we test iron and ferritin so we see where I am (I'm sure I'm on my way down). Doctor refuses to check iron and ferritin because my "CBC did not show anemia". She also went back to old labs from May and said my ferritin at 27 was "fine".

Why wouldn't a doctor check serum iron and ferritin on a person who has a history of iron-deficiency anemia and low ferritin?

She is so fired, isn't she?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
    mysixpack
    (female)

mysixpack HB User
    Re: Should I fire my doctor (cbc, iron, ferritin testing)

I've really had it with doctors who don't assist us in taking care of ourselves. I too have tried to be proactive with my health and my doctor just blows me off. She feels she knows what my problems are and refuses to do any research. I have chest pain, shingles for the third time, pain in my joints, and anemia. She just wants to put me on a anti depressant so I can forget I have pain and anemia. She doesn't want to treat my pain for the shingles-she thinks I might get addicted to the meds-OK I guess I should just be tired and in pain! It's such a joke! When I walk in and they figure out I have 6 kids they automatically think I need to be on something to forget my troubles. I'm not depressed! I'm sick of being sick!
    OK sorry I vented on your thread! I feel you need to dump that doctor and keep trying until you find a new one that works with you. I will practice what I preach as soon as my insurance allows me to switch! I have to wait 2 months.
    I do not feel you are being unreasonable to ask for a simple blood test-it should be no skin off her back to allow you to feel good about knowing what is going on in your body. When did doctors start thinking they know everything without evidence in there records?? I had to beg mine to do the iron test-if you look at my numbers on the thread "anemia for 20 or more years.". you will see why I felt a need for her to test it. She just kept saying your getting old-that is why your fatigued. Even with my CBC in the lows!
    Good luck!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Littlebunnyfoo--I suppose that it is because it is not "Medically Necessary," because you show no anemia. Many doctor's treat this way unfortunately. If you have a history that should be enough in itself, to at least make her curious of your Ferritin staus after 2months of no iron. But after reading your record of 27, you were well "within range" so she obviously doesn't go past the "text book" with her education. I would first try to get her to do a ferritin by pushing her a little so that you can at least prove to her that it is being lowered. If not, next she would be fired for sure!!! The reason that you are not anemic is because you are using up that 27 points to maintain your Hgb, the body is designed this way. Explain this to her. When iron STORES (Ferritin) are used up and depleted, Anemia is the final, last stage, of the iron stores, resulting in Anemia. You know that you can have a lowered ferritin without anemia. This places you at risk for anemia in the future. Doctors, why do they make it so hard? Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree with FLFLOWERGIRL's suggestion of pushing for a ferretin test and if she is that stubborn to refuse then don't waste any more of your time with this so called "doctor".

The thing is, yes you are not anemic, but on the other hand, ferretin needs to be over certain figures for certain processes to occur within our bodies. You've probably read about being 70 and over for correct hair growth cycles to occur and something else happens when you are over 70, but can't recall what right now, could be somehting to do with the liver. Then when you go over 100 there is another process within the body which benefits, but i can't recall the technical issues. One of my previous doctors, Dr Anthony Pearce, has an article you can look up on the net for free and it outlines all the ferretin issues you need to know and why you need to reach certain figures for your ferretin.

I somehow thing you will be looking for a new doctor, unless you end up in my dad's situation. My dad kept going to a useless doctor. I kept trying to get him to change, but he hated the idea of going to the medical centre as there was a minimum 1 - 3 hour wait. Well now we've found out his useless doctor died the other week so now he has no choice. I'm not happy that the poor man died, but he nearly killed my mother twice over with the wrong medication and he's also had my dad on the wrong meds for blood pressure. he also was not a progressive doctor and he poo pooed any suggestions you might make. Oh well, guess he's gone to a much better place now and my dad might finally have more luck with someone new. Nothing worse than staying with someone who does not care about your personal situation and instead treats you like a number.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make

Closed Thread