It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Colonoscopy Prep Questions...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
    GreenGal77
    (female)

GreenGal77 HB User
    Colonoscopy Prep Questions...

Just looking for some general advice since I know a lot of you have gone through this procedure while feeling already down from the anemia.

A few of you have mentioned the pills or Osmo Prep, but it would appear that it's not available in Canada unfortunately, so it looks like I'm stuck with the liquid. Right now they have me doing the Fleet Phosphosoda which does worry me because I know it's really hard on the electrolytes and mine are often wonky, but I don't think I could handle the Go-Lytely which is the 4L stuff.

So, any advice would be great. I've been stocking up on clear powerade and gatorade and I'm hoping if I just force myself to drink that like crazy while i do the prep it'll keep things from getting really out of whack, but I'm not even sure about that.

Also, I know it's been recommended to take it easy diet wise leading up to the test...but I'm not really sure how to do that. I'm quite able to restrict my intake but I'm not sure if that's a good idea because I don't want to be really weakened for the test, but as you guys have said, what goes in must come out So I'm thinking about trying to eat a bit less and wondering what foods might be good to stick with. I didn't receive any instruction from the doctor unfortunately, I wasn't even told to do clear fluids the day before which seems odd to me. I remember I listened to that advice last time and the prep was murder, so I definitely want to follow some good restrictions if it will make it easier.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Colonoscopy Prep Questions...

Hello GG--Really it was not that bad of an experience. I also had the fleet prep as well. My instructions were as follows: no asprin or asprin products, anti-inflammatory drugs or herbal supplements 7 days before testing. You may take tylenol. No nuts, seeds or popcorn for 7 days prior to the test!

The day prior to testing, have on hand, 2 one and 1/2 oz bottles of Fleets Phosphosoda. You may have a light breakfast, before 9 a.m., choosing one item from this list: 1 boiled ess or poached egg, 1 slice of dry toast, 3 oz portion of skinless turkey, chicken, or fish, 8 oz can of Ensure (Not Ensure plus).

From 9:00a.m. to midnight, you may have as much as you like from this clear liquid diet: Soft drinks (cola, Sprite, Gingerale, 7-up etc), Gatorade, Kool-Aid, fruit juices without pulp (apple, white grape, lemonade etc.), tea, black coffee, water, bouillion, hard candies, jello and popsicles (NO RED OR PURPLE.)

At 7:00 p.m., mix one bottle of the phosphosoda with 12 oz of clear liquid, drink this and follow with a glass of clear liquid. Keep hydrated throughout the evening; drinking from the clear liquid diet list. DRINK AT LEAST 3 GLASSES OF CLEAR LIQUID BEFORE BED.
    NOTHING TO DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT!!!

At ______ a.m. (depending on the time of your own testing) take the other bottle of phosphosoda with 12 oz of clear liquid, then a glass of clear liquid. NO OTHER LIQUID! This time around I threw up half of the drink so don't be surprised if it happens. They told me that it is very common for women to have a harder time than men with this cocktail.

I chose to use white grape juice to mix with my phosphosoda. A trick is to make it really cold too, the white grape is strong enough to kind of over power the fleets taste. I also ate/drank; lime green jello, hard candies, gatorade, and bouillion which I now know is not be a good choice because of the SALT. They also didn't tell me to stop my iron so I continued that. The nurse had a fit about it, but the GI doc said iron is fine. The type of anesthesia that I had was also a very good one. It only made you happy and high when you come out of it not sick or anything. I don't know what the difference is just that they said it was a good type of anesthesia and it was. I hope you get good results. Are you also having the upper as well? I did both, it's easier that way. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

by far the easiest is 238mg bottle of miralax mixed with 64 oz of gatorade 2 stool softeners 2 hrs before and 2 at night before bed you can also mix it water there is no taste just make sure it is not red or purple gatorade

Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

My advice...

1. Two days before prep start eating light. No meats or difficult to digest food. Eat soups, yogurt, applesauce...

2. Mark a propel or gatorade bottle at the 8-10 oz mark (whatever you have to chug down every 10 minutes). Pour your prep drink the bottle instead of a glass or cup - it is SOOO much easier to chug. I stood over the sink and chugged the serving in 3-4 chugs each time.

3. Get some mints. Swirl a mint in your mouth right before you drink your prep each time. Take it out and set aside. Chug your prep. Quickly put the mint back in and swirl it around to take away the bad taste.

Good luck!!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
    GreenGal77
    (female)

GreenGal77 HB User

Thank you all for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to more or less follow all of them, and I think I'm going to try and go to just clear foods starting tonight even though my test isn't until Friday. Maybe just a piece of boiled chicken or something so I'm not realy weakened by Friday. I have lots of Gatoraid, Poweraid and White Grape Juice (I hate apple juice and I can't drink pop so I wasn't sure what else to get). I also have some herbal teas including ginger as I've heard that can really help to settle the stomach. I'm hoping that since I don't eat very much (I'm still technically recovering from an eating disorder because I think *they* say you never really recover) I'll only need the one bottle of Fleet...I can't imagine there would be enough in me to need two doses.

I am really scared though...I'm not sure if I should be alone for the prep. I want to be because I find the whole "stuck in the bathroom all night" thing to be very personal and embarassing, but with the anemia still being so bad and me being so weak, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Any suggestions? I just need to calm my nerves or I'm going to chicken out! Also...does anyone remember from when they did it approximately when they were able to stop going or when the severe urgency stopped? I only have one bathroom so if I decide to have someone here with me I want to make sure they can use the bathroom if they have to! They want me to start the prep at 6:00PM but the last time I did that and had an early procedure (I have to be at the hospital at 8:15AM) I wasn't quite finished...and that makes me nervous as the hospital is a long drive. Does anyone know if it would be harmful to start a little earlier? I can't get ahold of the doc

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

It really doesnt matter what time you start i started at noon they wanted me to start at 5 the dr said it really dont matter as long as the job is done lol

Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

i started earlier because i wanted to make sure i was done! lol good luck

Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

GG--Before you only take one bottle you need to ask about that. If you are not cleaned out properly they won't do the procedure after all you have been through to that point, it would be a disappointment not to be able to have it. I drank a ton of water and I went over and over even up until the last minute but it was only water but I had the urge. The said a little would be okay and that they would just suck out anything that would get in the way. How's that for too much informaiton!!!! I would follow the instructions, whatever that may be. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
    GreenGal77
    (female)

GreenGal77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    GG--Before you only take one bottle you need to ask about that. If you are not cleaned out properly they won't do the procedure after all you have been through to that point, it would be a disappointment not to be able to have it. I drank a ton of water and I went over and over even up until the last minute but it was only water but I had the urge. The said a little would be okay and that they would just suck out anything that would get in the way. How's that for too much informaiton!!!! I would follow the instructions, whatever that may be. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Thanks Flowergirl! I know about that...maybe I didn't put it in my first post (in which case I'm sorry) but I've actually had the procedure once before, it's just that I wasn't anemic at the time. That's why I'm extra concerned about the prep. During that one, I was going completely liquid well before I was supposed to take another dose, and I remember calling the hospital and they said as long as it was clear then I didn't need to go with the second dose (they said the same thing to me about sucking it out...ewww!). So that's the only reason I'm thinking I might not have to do it this time, I know it's important to follow instructions

I would be very upset if I went through everything and they didn't do the procedure.

Closed Thread