It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anemia syptoms??? what are your syptoms??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
    blueboss
    (male)

blueboss HB User
    Question anemia syptoms??? what are your syptoms??

anybody goes through eye twitching??
    or weird feeling in eye?

also anybody have a weird feeling after eating a meal??

also weird feeling in your throat?
    please describe your syptoms?

when you take some iron aren't you supposed to feel better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: anemia syptoms??? what are your syptoms??

blueboss--Welcome to the boards!!! It may take a long time, at least it was for me. I had blurred vision in one eye a few times, but it would go away. I had body twitching forever it seemed like. After a meal I would have palpitations due to the digestion process. Tachycardia, pulse over 100, mine was 133. Anxiety and very high blood pressure at times. At one time I had a low grade fever for 3 months and night sweats. I think this was due to the enteritis that I had for 3 months from the iron supplements. Muscle weakness, numbness and tingling. Eyes itched and were red. Pale, white, cold hands and feet. Fatigue and had to stop working. I think that was it but I always forget something, that's right brain fog too!!!!

What are your Hgb & Hct and RBC counts, if you want to share? Did you find a cause for your IDA. It is not normal or usual for a male to be anemic. Just checking. Do you donate blood? Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

tachycardia/heart pounding
    pica/craving ice
    hair loss
    tingling and numbness in various parts of my body

Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
    mysixpack
    (female)

mysixpack HB User

High blood pressure
    fevers twice a day (low 100.7 or higher)
    joint pain
    extreme fatigue(I feel like I've been awake for 10 hours, instead of sleeping for 8 hours)
    moody(most doctors think this is depression-not me)
    chest pain/palpitations
    numbness and tingling
    cold hands and feet
    chest turns red
    forgetfulness
    can't concentrate
    kidney pain

Though I was told my anemia isn't bad-I can't imagine if it could feel any worse!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
    Forensicmom
    (female)

Forensicmom HB User

I'm thankful to read this post because I have been having a lot of the same symptoms but I haven't got my blood test results yet so I can't confirm that anemia is my problem. My symptoms are:

Fatigue
    cold hands and feet
    headaches
    numbness in the hands and feet
    nausea and stomachaches
    dizziness
    VERY low blood pressure
    rapid heartbeat (although dr's tell me it's probably panic attacks)

Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
    LUCKIELARUE
    (female)

LUCKIELARUE HB User

I am on synthroid and a couple of years ago I thought, this is silly and quit taking it. Well, after a while, my right eye started twitching. Not just the twitch that stops when you look in the mirror, but it was twitch so bad, that if I was talking face to fact with someone, I would have to put my hand over my eye.

After researching, the net, I found that stopping by stopping the synthroid, I had caused my eye to twitch. Once I went back on the pills, the twitching stopped. Took about a month to fully stop.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
    lola56
    (female)

lola56 HB User
    Question Re: anemia syptoms??? what are your syptoms??

Does any one get like electric shock type of pain in different partls of there body in feet hands sides?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
    scribbls
    (female)

scribbls HB User

I'm new to the Health Boards but want to share my story. My symptoms are:

Exhaustion (was taken out of work today for 10 days by my internist)
    Can't concentrate
    Cry easily
    Can't remember things
    Can't breath---hard time getting a deep breath
    Get winded VERY easily
    Low ferritin (10)
    Low iron (11---my all time low was a 9)
    ICE ICE BABY! I want ICE ALL THE TIME when my iron is low.
    Terribly sore tongue
    Brittle nails? (they won't even grow anymore)
    Soaring reticulocyte count (123,000 and still going)
    Muscles are very weak, especially large muscles
    People tell me I "look tired" and asked me, "Did you have a bad day?" And I don't have bags under my eyes, but somehow, they see this in my face, eyes, etc.

When I first started feeling bad five years ago, I complained to my dr (internist) about abdominal pain and heart palps, she thought it was depression and only worried about my stomach and stress. She sent me first to the gastro who looked for a bleeding ulcer (I had one in the past but it was nearly healed at that point and not bleeding). Gastro missed the fact that I was anemic in the blood work he did and when my heart raced and skipped beats on the day he did the endoscopy no one ever asked why my heart was skipping even though they could hear it on the monitors. Meantime I had a yearly pelvic exam and my Gyno diagnosed adenomyosis. She did a pelvic ablation which helped only a little. It slowed the anemia, but heavy periods returned within 5 months. So I went back to the internist still complaining of heart symptoms. Internist sent me to a cardio who did the full work up. I passed the nuclear stress test with flying colors so he was???? . He did a cardiac catheterization that I realized later was completely unnecessary because had he (or my internist) looked at my blood count, they would have seen my iron was 9 and ferritin was non existent. They missed it and never said a word...to this day..they don't know they missed it.
    When I was simply told by the cardiologist "lose weight and your heart will stop fluttering" I was crushed because I knew he wasn't listening. Besides, he did all the expensive tests, got his money, and now I couldn't bring him anymore bucks. So....I went to a nutritionist who asked me, "Do you crave anything unusual" and I told her "just ice." She was the one who told me, "unofficially" of course, that i was anemic. So I took it in my own hands to see a hematologist (thank goodness I have open/flexible insurance) and he told me immediately that I was terribly iron deficient and gave me the 5 hour iron treatment. All was great for one year but now I'm back at iron of 12 (teetering toward 11) and ferritin 10 and feel awful. Hemo has to wait to give me iron until my level is a 10.
    So for now, I'm a tired, ice crunching mess until it bottoms out again and I can get the iron injection I need.
    I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps someone out there.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
    scribbls
    (female)

scribbls HB User

Oh goodness...I forgot to say that I have rls (restless leg syndrome) due to low iron too. So yes, I guess that is twitching as well.
    Blessings to all .

Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
    mysixpack
    (female)

mysixpack HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mysixpack View Post
    High blood pressure
    fevers twice a day (low 100.7 or higher)
    joint pain
    extreme fatigue(I feel like I've been awake for 10 hours, instead of sleeping for 8 hours)
    moody(most doctors think this is depression-not me)
    chest pain/palpitations
    numbness and tingling
    cold hands and feet
    chest turns red
    forgetfulness
    can't concentrate
    kidney pain

Though I was told my anemia isn't bad-I can't imagine if it could feel any worse!
    I forge to to mention restless leg syndrome. I too have stomach pain-upper-near gallbladder and lower-two sharp pains (it feels like each ovary is being stabbed. It does not go across-it stays in the same two spots and goes back and forth.)I don't even know if any of this is related. It just all started at the same time.
    Scribbls-when you talk about your iron being 12-what test are you talking about? Is it your iron Serum or iron saturation? My iron Serum is 25(it says low on my blood test)- My iron Saturation is 6(it says alert next to it on my blood test) My Ferritin Serum says 4(low next to it too). My doctor just sent me a note to up my iron consumption. I already told her I'm taking 200 mg a day for a year-and have always taken iron and a regular multi vitamin. She doesn't seem to think there is a link between all of my symptoms and these #'s. She wants to think I'm depressed-which I'm not and my age(37) means I'm getting old and should expect to feel this way. I'm wondering if I should see a hematologist. Or would those numbers not bother a hematologist and I would be wasting my time and money?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    anybody goes through eye twitching??
    or weird feeling in eye?

also anybody have a weird feeling after eating a meal??

also weird feeling in your throat?
    please describe your syptoms?

when you take some iron aren't you supposed to feel better?
    What's your thyroid levels? My husband had that weird feeling in his throat when he's thyroid was over-active. And he's always been prone to stomache unease too ... (turns out he also had a gallbladder thingy.)

Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
    shesyed
    (female)

shesyed HB User

Hi,
    I too have alot of the symptoms..

Cold hands and feet
    Restless legs And arms..
    Rock hard, painful Muscles especially upper arms and shoulders
    forgetfulness
    very clumsy
    sometimes cant take full deep breaths
    occasional heart palpitations
    Face looks dull and tires
    Nails hardly grow most
    Damaged hair
    joint problems
    get tired very quickly
    Fatigue
    I too cry easily
    and more but cant remember!

Lately for the past 2 weeks I have noticed that whenever I come out of the shower, the veins on my arms and Palms are clearly visible and have a darkish blue colour... I cant remember ever seeing the veins on my palms and fingers before!!

Oh and because of the restless legs and arms I cant sleep without curling up like a baby ( legs and arms curled up under my body with my back up) but then they go numb so I wake up again and arrgghh i hate it!

I hate being aneamic. There is so much I wat to do, like exercise and lose weight but my muscles go hard as a rock.
    Doctors just give me iron tablets (ferrous sulphate)

I try to eat iron rich foods daily.. especially eatind a salad of beetroot, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, thyme etc..

--- Why do doctors always think loosing weight will end all illnesses!!!

Also What was the 5 hour treatment you had?

[QUOTE=scribbls;3860313]

When I was simply told by the cardiologist "lose weight and your heart will stop fluttering"

So I took it in my own hands to see a hematologist (thank goodness I have open/flexible insurance) and he told me immediately that I was terribly iron deficient and gave me the 5 hour iron treatment.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
    Forensicmom
    (female)

Forensicmom HB User

[QUOTE=shesyed;3868568]--- Why do doctors always think loosing weight will end all illnesses!!!

[QUOTE=scribbls;3860313]

I'm so sorry you were told that about your weight. Weight has NOTHING to do with my symptoms or health, other then being on the opposite end of it. I only weigh 108lbs at 5'3. I've had 4 kids and am weigh 10lbs less then I did in high school. This is all because of terribal nausea that I have. I can't eat and it drives me nuts.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
    scribbls
    (female)

scribbls HB User

I don't know what my thyroid levels actually are. I've only been told that they are "normal."
    The five hour treatment was an iron infusion. According to my hematologist, I had one of the 'last ones.' That is, they don't normally do the five hour infusion anymore since it is now available in a more convenient shot of some kind (which I have yet to have since I'm still waiting for my iron to drop "low enough" for him to give it to me.
    As far as a 'weird feeling' after meals, when my iron is extremely low, I get more palpitations after a meal. I also experience more shortness of breath after meals. Can't remember where I read it but I've heard that the reason for both could be that digestion needs a lot of energy--anemics are low in that area---so we 'feel it' in other symptoms that pop up. Something like that, but I can't recall.
    I agree.....the numb hands, arms, sometimes feet are very bothersome. It makes a 'good night's sleep' an impossible dream.
    Have to keep a sense of humor about all of this....
    Blessings and hang in there everyone!

Closed Thread