It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• does low red blow count have anything to do with Diabetes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
    lemlem
    (female)

lemlem HB User
    does low red blow count have anything to do with Diabetes

Hi

I am writing on behalf of my mother. She got her blood results today. She does not have nay symptoms of Anemia but her hematocrit level is on the low side. I am posting her test results below:

Hematocrit 34.6%
    Hemoglobine 11.0
    V.G.M 85.2
    CCMH 31.8
    Leucocytes 10.3
    Plaquette 266%

My mother has been Diabetic for almost 30 years. also 4 months ago , she had surgery to remove Gallblader by laser.

Would diabetes has anything to do with this.

I appreciate any feed back on this.

Thanks

Worried daughter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: does low red blow count have anything to do with Diabetes

LemLem--Hello. Welcome to the boards! I can speak to the anemia portion of the labs. Your mom's H & H are very borderline (I don't know her lab ranges, some are 11.5 and some are 12.0) for mild anemia. However, those numbers should be in the 14.0 range to be optimal. You didn't say what her RBC count was.

This is my limited knowledge on diabetes. ~Chronic diabetes~ kidney disease, can inhibit production of the RBC's in the bone marrow. Metformin a medication for diabetes can also cause anemia. Sorry, but that's all I know.

Only a doctor, after complete evaluation will be able to tell you what your mom's low counts/anemia is caused from. It may be nothing to do with diabetes. It could be GI related. Last year my mom, 75 yrs. old had her gallbladder removed too. Then, she still had problems so she had a colonoscopy/endoscopy and they found gastritis, H-pylori and Barrettes. Her blood loss must have been from the gastritis, but they never found any fresh bleeding.

Whenever there is anemia, a cause needs to be determined. They need to R/O any internal bleeding. She should also have her B-12 and folate checked, if they haven't done this already because this too can cause anemia. Doctor's don't always check this. Best of luck to you both. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
    lemlem
    (female)

lemlem HB User
    Re: does low red blow count have anything to do with Diabetes

Thank you Flowergirl. I appreciate the response. Yes my mother does take Glucophage in other words Metformin. So she is going to check with her doctor and ask for B-12 test as well. Thanks. lemlem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lemlem View Post
    Hi

I am writing on behalf of my mother. She got her blood results today. She does not have nay symptoms of Anemia but her hematocrit level is on the low side. I am posting her test results below:

Hematocrit 34.6%
    Hemoglobine 11.0
    V.G.M 85.2
    CCMH 31.8
    Leucocytes 10.3
    Plaquette 266%

My mother has been Diabetic for almost 30 years. also 4 months ago , she had surgery to remove Gallblader by laser.

Would diabetes has anything to do with this.

I appreciate any feed back on this.

Thanks

Worried daughter

Closed Thread