It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Back on the iron tablets again

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User
    Back on the iron tablets again

Hello,

I last posted on here in 2007 when i had my iron levels checked they were 10.3 Hb and 2.8 serum ferritin i took ferrus sulphate fopr a few months and began to feel much better again.

I had been anaemic whilst pregnant in 2003 HB level 9.7 i felt awful constantly getting ill sores in the corners of my mouth strange pica, liking the thought of sand and ash

Recently i have been feeling tired and unenthusiastic about life, i had been jogging a bit but now i have hardly the energy to get round the block, everything seems such an effort so i rang the doctors for an appointment just in case.

I explained to the doctor that i had been anaemic before and i was tired and not able to do as much excercise. I have been having hair loss though not as much as usual and i also havnt been ill recently (i used to pick up all the bugs going) and i have mild craving for tinned tomatoes

The only thing new in the last couple of years is a clicking lower spine when i turn over in bed (old age lol)

anyway the results of blood test caame back and the receptionist said to take ferrus ferritin for three months then come back to be tested she said the thyroid test was fine i wasnt anaemic at 13.5 but ferritin levels were 8.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Back on the iron tablets again

I'm sorry that you have been going through this so long. Your lucky that you caught it before the anemia set in this time. You will have to stay on the iron for a long time to build the ferritin stores, iron in containment. Did you stay on iron supplements the last time and rebuild the ferritin to high numbers, or did you know about that then? I never knew what ferritin was until I became anemic. Keep us posted and best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 02-01-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Hi Flower girl

I didnt keep taking the iron for as long as i should have so i must make sure i keep taking them even when i feel better. Though the GP didnt tell me to keep taking them or to go back for tests.

I feel that the lack of communication with the GP is a big factor, they are sooo uninterested about the anaemia this time they just said to go for a blood test and asked me to pick up a prescription. No discussion to investigate what the cause of the anaemia/ innability to store iron, they just assume it is because i am female. I eat a varied diet and plenty of foods with iron in.

I read an interesting post here re fasting for 12 hrs before blood test and being hydrated, i have never had any instruction do do this but it makes sense to me.

Hope your well flower girl

Last edited by gemini123; 02-01-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

I find that when i am anaemic i suffer from

Heavier periods
    palpatations
    greater hair loss
    very brittle nails
    increased bruising
    lethargy
    sore toungue
    sore corners of the mouth
    pick up more illnesses
    even tooth absesses
    earache
    irritable not able to cope
    lack of beleif in self

at the moment i have a HB of 13.5 and Ferritin of 8 i suffer from tiredness, irritability sometimes not able to cope brittle nails hair loss, when i try to go jogging i used to be able to jog round the block but now i have to just walk alot of it.

It s odd when i feel good i am able to do plenty of excercise but this soon trails off - i want to do it but find i get sooo tired. I often find i am tired even when i get up!!

I realise that i could be reading more into it than i need to but i have been like this for a long time and every day does feel like a battle to get through.

My parents died in their 50 s of cancer - not wanting to be a hypo but it would have put my mind at rest if the GP had the courtesy to actualy discuss what was happening with me - perhaps i should write a letter to them

Last edited by gemini123; 02-15-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Perhaps a simple follow up appointment may give you more answers. It's worth a try. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

It's not worth going off the iron supplements until you have reached a decently high figure. My current and previous doctors want ferretin at 70 +. If you do go off the supplements you do need follow up checks to see if your iron is dropping. If it's dropping then it's time to play detective and figure out all the things which could be a cause. For instance, mine is partially linked to gluten intolerance, to low pancreatic enzymes so i have problems digesting protein, it's also linked to my thyroid as their are thyroid receptors in the stomach which affect how things work too.

There are so many reasons, but you can't rely on a doctor to go through them all, they either don't have time or don't care. If you are about to drop dead they know the ER is there. Sort of like out of sight, out of mind. It's sad

Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Hi,
    Thanks for posting guys, i find it very helpful reading about others experiences.

I hope you dont mind but i thought i would keep posting on here to try and keep a diary of any symptoms that may or may not be related so i can look back on how things are going.

Today i have had a headache all day and for the past couple of days my throat feels, not sore at all, but tight as if there is pressure at the front at the top of my neck under the jaw and sometimes it is uncomfortable to lie down as i feel i cannot get enough air in so i need to sit up (perhaps anxiety?)
    I have the usual tiredness

In an earlier post i said i was taking ferrous ferritin LOL i am actualy on Fersamol - ferrous fumerate
    It says each tablet has ferrous fumerate BP 210mg (68mg ferrous iron) Three times a day

Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gemini123--You are more than welcome to keep posting. We want to hear your progress. Your probably going to be here for a while to get your ferritin up, so get comfortable. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

The throat issues you are having can be anxiety, i know i've had that, but there are people on the thyroid board who have that from an enlarged thyroid, referred to as a goitre.

If it's anxiety, you need to remind yourself to breath in deeply. When we are anxious we do a lot less breathing, more shallow breathing, when our lungs actually need some deep breathing to get sufficient oxygen into the body.

Doing deep breathing can also be a relaxation technique too, which is always a good thing

Old 02-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Morning

my headache has gone now so i decided to nip down to the GP surgery and ask for a print out of my blood results:-

collected 19 jan 2009

TFT
    FREE T4 = 11.8 pmol/l (7.86-14.41)
    Thyroid stim. hormone = 1.28 mlU/L (0.35 - 5.50)

FERRITIN = 8.8 ug/L (22-322)

FBC
    WBC = 3.2 (4.0 - 11.0)
    PLTS= 249 (12-400)
    HB =13.7 (11.5 - 16)
    RBC =4.54 (3.5-5.5)
    PCV =0.40 (0.34 - 0.46)
    MCV =89 (82.0 - 100.0)
    MCH =30.2 (26.0 - 32.6)
    MCHC =33.9 (32.0 - 36.0)
    NEUTROPHILS =1.50 (2.0-6.0)
    LYMPHOCYTES= 1.2 (1.0 - 3.5)
    MONONCYTES =0.3 (0.18-0.86)
    EOSINOPHILS =0.2 (0.0-0.4)

Old 02-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

So it seems from the results that it isnt thyroid related, i had thought it might have been this as my mum had hyperthyroidism.

are the other lowish results just due to low iron stores do you think?

At the risk of sounding totaly nuts but i have a very small lump on the side of my neck i have had for a few years i think a gland it is not in the skin as i can move the skin on top of it, it feels slightly moveable but attatched to the neck perhaps fatty deposit/nodule, i thought it was gland related? Is it worth telling the doctor? LOL i just think i need an MOT

Sorry but i had another thought are poor teeth related because i have week teeth lots of fillings and my teeth have been breaking off around the filings for the past couple of years, my dentist things i eat sweets all day but i dont. My OH drinks coke until the cows come home and his teeth are not as bad as mine

I see my diet as average not great but just average i am a size 14-16 (uk) but i am putting on weight again cause of reduced excersise due to tiredness so i will be a 16 before i know it

Last edited by gemini123; 02-06-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The thyroid results given appear good, but they didn't test your free T3 or do a thyroid antibodies check. Those would be required for a FULL thyroid check. The problem is that as the thyroid is hormone regulated, any thyroid testing done can change eg: the TSH can look good on one test, but you can have one within days or weeks and the TSH can go up or down. My dads TSH looked exellent and 3 weeks later it went so far down as to be classed hyperthyroid. I couldn't believe it. All hormone testing, including thyroid, ought to be done in the early part of the morning.

Your ferretin is definitely low and needs to rise.

I'm not that good with the FBC's, but do know if the neutrophils and lymphocytes are low or below low it means the immune system is lowered or there could be an infection of some sort.

My lymphocytes were always low to the point where the lab would put a note saying i had "lymphopenia", which my then doctor constantly ignored, but my thyroid doctor pointed it out saying "i can see even then you had a lowered immune system". Since building up my ferretin and all the other things i was low in and getting meds for my thyroid my lymphocytes have improved.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    The thyroid results given appear good, but they didn't test your free T3 or do a thyroid antibodies check. Those would be required for a FULL thyroid check. The problem is that as the thyroid is hormone regulated, any thyroid testing done can change eg: the TSH can look good on one test, but you can have one within days or weeks and the TSH can go up or down. My dads TSH looked exellent and 3 weeks later it went so far down as to be classed hyperthyroid. I couldn't believe it. All hormone testing, including thyroid, ought to be done in the early part of the morning.

Your ferretin is definitely low and needs to rise.

I'm not that good with the FBC's, but do know if the neutrophils and lymphocytes are low or below low it means the immune system is lowered or there could be an infection of some sort.

My lymphocytes were always low to the point where the lab would put a note saying i had "lymphopenia", which my then doctor constantly ignored, but my thyroid doctor pointed it out saying "i can see even then you had a lowered immune system". Since building up my ferretin and all the other things i was low in and getting meds for my thyroid my lymphocytes have improved.

Thanks Audrey, so do you think i should ask the docter about the other thyroid tests? i will have to pluck up the courage to ask because just getting past the receptionist can be a struggle

Old 02-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The fact your mother had hyperthyroidism places you at higher risk of getting it as it can be a genetic thing. The issues is that most doctors do what tests they want and not what you feel is necessary. The doctors will then simply say you are within range, nothing wrong, go home. That's why it took me 8 years to get medication, but i only found out last year that it runs in my dad's family. Wish i'd known sooner then i could have possibly gotten the doctors i saw to take me more seriously.

The problem is, as i said before, if your TSH looks good they wont medicate you, regardless of what else is going on. This is the BIG debate now between patients and doctors. Just go over onto the thyroid board and that is testimony enough of what is going on.

having said all that, you might not have an actual thyroid problem, it could all be to do with your ferretin. In fact, a long standing low ferretin can affect the thyroid. the doctor who diagnosed me waited for my ferretin to rise, then when he saw my T3 and T4 where not where he felt they ought to be, he ordered the Thyroid Antibodies test and my antibodies showed i had Hashimoto's.

In my dad's case, his T3 and T4 were high and various other things were too high or low. Once he addressed certain things like Vit D and B12, he found that a heap of things self corrected. His cholesterol went down to a desirable level, which it hadn't in years, his calcium rose and a number of thyroid issues which were out by a bit and possibly causing symptoms ended up coming closer to where they ought to be.

So basically with the thyroid you either have a thyroid problem or start of one or you only have a thyroid problem due to being low in a number of supplements.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
    nancyjo
    (female)

nancyjo HB User

Audrey, what can you tell me about the enzymes you're taking? While I only eat chicken and turkey, it's very hard for me digest even these. I don't seem to have a problem digesting yogurt or cheese, but eggs, meat and nuts/nut butters give me trouble. (Which explain why I opt for protein shakes, lol)

Since my upper and lower GI tests recently didn't indicate any problems, I wonder if digestive enzymes might help me? I just know that regardless of what I eat, I get tired within a few minutes of finishing a meal and everything seems to bother my stomach to some degree.

Any info you can share is appreciated, as always!

Cheers,
    Nancy

Closed Thread