It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin / Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
    joliedog
    (female)

joliedog HB User
    Unhappy Low Ferritin / Anemia?

HI! I have been having hair loss for at least the past 8 years. The search for answers lead me to check my ferritin which was in the teens. I saw a hematologist who did not know anything about hair and ferritin but put me on iron supplements. Two months of that did not do anything. But the dr. did not really tell me how to take them so maybe I didn't take them the proper way. Fast forward to now - still dealing with worsening hair problems which are depressing - but have put together many other symptoms - numbness in fingers and toes, cold all the time when others are warm, depression, lack of focus, tired all the time, pale skin...a lot of these things I just attibuted to running after 3 young kids. I just went to have my ferritin checked again and it is 33.

My hemoglobin is 14.8 (11.7 - 15.5 g/dL normal)
    hematocrit is 44.6 (35.0 - 45.0 % normal)
    B12 is 641 (200 - 1100 pg/mL normal)
    folate, serum 15.3.

My gp told me that my iron is normal and the ferritin is low normal but I have all these symptoms. I also had my thyroid levels checked including things like T3, free T3, T4, tsh etc. and they all came back middle range normal. I am so upset reading about people who have anemia because I have a lot of the same symptoms but didn't know they might all be related. I am wondering if I could be suffering from some kind of anemia from the low ferritin even though my regular iron is fine. I have to call my gp on Monday to see if she will over see iron supplementation but she will probably tell me that 33 is a good number for the ferritin. THanks so much for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
    mysixpack
    (female)

mysixpack HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin / Anemia?

Your still low from what I've been told on here. I do think whatever your doing is working-that's a good thing. Keep it up and maybe your symptoms will go away. Everyone who has had it on here says it takes time to get it 100% again. Your CBC does look good though. It goes to show you that your CBC can be normal, and your other levels be messed up. From what I have heard you want your ferritin in the 100's. You know your body and keep bugging the doctor until he/she does something. I need to practice what I preach!LOL

Old 02-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin / Anemia?

The problem here is that your ferritin should be at least the minimal 50. Really, it needs to be 70-100 range. I was told to supplement iron until there is no blood loss or I stop taking PPI's which I cannot. So, there is a reason that you are losing iron and you need to discover that cause. Whether it is from your cycle or what. Next, I would supplement at least with a multivitamin, if you haven't already. In addition, I would eat red meat 3x weekly (IF you eat it) to build the ferritin. I would do this and retest to see if your ferritin is responding. If not, then I would supplement with iron supplements that are stronger in dosage. I take 150 Poly iron daily and my ferritin is 58. Your Hgb looks remarkable (optimal), so you should be storing iron into ferritin. You can also request LOL (you know how they like requests) an iron panel because it will show you the % of saturation of iron. If it is low maybe you have malabsorption, you can malabsorb 2 or 3-5 years (something like that) before you run out of B-12 and iron. Anemia is the final last stage of the ferritin stores and you are at 33 so, no, you wouldn't be anemic yet! FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread