It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User
    ferritin

Hi everyone,

I posted a few months back when I was diagnosed with low ferritin at a 10. I suffer dizziness and balance problems, foggy head, tiredness etc

I have been taking iron pills since then and have been retested and came out at 22.

My doctor says it is a satisfactory result. I still do not feel any better, still really tired, still dizzy, still with balance problems. I know one lady on here said she started to feel better when she hit 29, but at what point did anyone else feel better i.e. less dizziness. I can cope with the tiredness and the foggy head but the dizziness and balance problems I can do without!

I have not spoken to my doctor, I got the results over the phone, but I am not sure whether he thinks that I am now normal and require no further treatment or if he thinks that this is satisfactory progress. In any way I will continue with taking the iron pills as I want to be much higher than this.

Thanks ladies.

Mac2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: ferritin

Mac2--Did you ever find a cause for your anemia? Just curious. I can tell you that from a 2 ferritin every time that I jumped about 10 points 10-20-30-40 I began to feel a little better it was somewhere between 20-40'ish that I noticed a greater difference, but I was able to tell I felt a lot better at 50, I could have told you without a blood test that I was at 50. I think this is the minimal number for ferritin to be at a healthy range not 10-20. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree, 22 is still low. "technically" you may not be anemic any longer and most doctors wont care if you have gotten yourself out of the anemia zone. You should care though, especially as you still aren't feeling good. Each of us starts feeling good at different points. For some reason we all feel our side effects to low iron in our own unique way.

I was chronically tired with a ferretin of 8, but once i began taking a supplement i lost the chronic fatigue eg: couldn't walk from kitchen after breakfast to my bedroom to get changed without a pit stop on the sofa to recover some energy). Once my ferretin was up to 14 i could get from kitchen to bedroom without sofa-assistance I was still tired though, felt unmotivated, could stay up late with friends when out for dinner, stopped visiting people or going out and life could easily have ground to a halt.

I'd say keep at it with the iron supplements. It's obvious you aren't going to shoot up too high any time soon, so no need to worry about iron overload. In the meantime it might be good to find out what is causing it and are you low in other things eg: B12, zinc, Vitamin D?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User

Hi

FlFlower Girl, I did not find out the cause of my low ferritin as my docs do not seem that interested. I could 99% for certain say that it is due to heavy periods though. Did you ever suffer from the dizziness/balance stuff? How long did it take to get to the 50 mark?

Audrey, girl, you had the tiredness bad!! I don't think I have ever been that tired that I have had to stop and rest like that. I can still do a 5 mile hike quite easily, it's just that I feel more tired after my day and need to be in my bed resting by about 8.30p.m. I go to sleep about 10pm and sleep through til 7am but still feel tired when I wake up. But I do manage to get through my day without excessive tiredness, it's more like a general fatigue where I can't be bothered to do stuff. But, I am noticing it more lately.

My social life has taken a nosedive over the last few years with all this dizziness stuff, in fact I don't have one!!

The supplement I am taking has B12, B6, zinc, copper and folic acid so it is quite a good one and should see me ok if I am deficient in any of these things.

One question I do have is - I got my first ferritin test done just after the end of a period, and my last ferritin test done the week before I was due. Would this make a difference i.e. would you have a lower reading after a period when you have had a lot of blood loss?

Thanks.

Mac2

Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Yes, I had all those symptoms and more. In fact, they thought at one point that I had MS and I also had to see a Neuro doc and have many tests. Anemia is a real beast of a symptom!!! To answer your question, It took me 1 yr and 3 months to get to 43 ferritin, it wasn't for 5 more months I think that I hit 58 ferritin, it's been a ride. This is different for everyone and you too will be different from my experience. At least we can hope so. There are a few of us that have been here for 2 yrs or more. How is that for an outlook? When I first came here and read about people not absorbing iron and having this ongoing problem, I though, that's weird, that won't happen to me! And it did!

Regarding your period, I am not sure how the ferritin would respond, it's hard to say really. It is more of the Hgb that responds from my knowledge. I read where a doc said that you have to test before and after a period to see if this is happening. If it is effecting your CBC. So, I was able to do this and with supplements I actually went up 1/10th of a point. I though I would be under, but it didn't happen. I suppose that I was taking enough iron to break even. I still had to have an ablation to stop the blood loss. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree, some of us have a very close and personal relationship with this board, which makes us special, considering it's the only relationship Paris Hilton hasn't tried to have yet!!

Like FLFLOWERGIRL, i too was shocked how long it took some people's ferretin to move and i to thought "that wont be me" and i think i've been hanging around here for 2 years and was on iron supplements prior to that for one year, so 3 years all up.

I never realise low iron could be a symtom of soooo many things. When i first began posting on here i simply focused on the low iron, but once i was diagnosed with a thyroid condition and further testing revealed i had other issues, i soon realised that i had wasted valuable time focusing only on the ferretin when i ought to have been making one big list and ticking things off as i went.

In your case, if you have heavy periods, i'd say that could be a likely candidate for low ferretin.

Closed Thread