It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• What happens if ORAL & INFUSION doesnt work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User
    What happens if ORAL & INFUSION doesnt work?

Is it possible that neither of these work 7 if so, then what?
    THX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: What happens if ORAL & INFUSION doesnt work?

It most likely will work, but if not there are iron injections and blood transfusions.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
    sosweet71
    (female)

sosweet71 HB User

Hi,I have just recently came to this board for this exact reason,scared I am just going to get worse.I am very very enemic.i am now getting injections twice a week,finally this last Friday after my 4th one I thought I felt my heart palpitations where a little better and I was not so short of breath.........Then Friday afternoon,got my period again.Went to dr yesterday,took blood tests and shot and will do the same thing on Thursday.I am thinking I am dropping again cause I have no reserve and am bleeding alot.Soooo frustrating..one step forward,two steps back.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User

Thx Flowergrl, You are always SO Helpful!

Sosweet, what are your lab #'s?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

sosweet71-I hate to say it, but the more blood loss that you have, the more you will bleed. This was part of my problem too. Are you doing anything to stop or minimize the blood loss? One of my doctor's put it to me like this, he said, "You are either going to stop the blood loss or have a blood transfusion." So I knew then that I couldn't just take iron replacement therapy, which up to that point, I thought that I could because the doctor's acted like it was an option. Very confusing. I hope you are doing better soon. You should start your own thread so that maybe we can help you a little more. Keep us posted.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 02-24-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User

Are you both talking about mentral periods? (When you say bleeding)?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That was my impression. Yes, I was talking about menstruation.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User

Hi Flowergrl,

Ahhh, ok...just making sure I was on the same page.....:-)

If I can ask your opinion on something? If my ferritin was low in 2006, (between a 5-8) but my BW was normal that indicates Iron Deficiant Without anemia, right?

If in 2006 I was Iron Deficiant, then would it make sense to think I've had a bleeding issue (gastrointestinal, ect) for 3 years?

I had a hemorhage in 2003 from a miscarriage but never needed blood & even after that, they said my BW was ok. Dr says he doubts any of this is from that. My ferritin, however was only checked in 2006 so I cant say I knew what that was before that time.

My periods are usually not heavy although at times they have been. (whose hasnt)

I went on a CRASH diet from June-Sept & lost 20 lbs. I was taking slim fast. Could that have exabarated more Iron loss?

I guess Im so concerned why my BW didnt increase after the 2 mo's of Iron. Rather decreased?

Geazz, I just had a bone marrow 2 mo's ago for something else.....I would imagine that rules out any Bone marrow issues, what do you think.
    I'd appreciate your thoughts~~
    Thx for helping out!

Last edited by tricia906; 02-24-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
    sosweet71
    (female)

sosweet71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    sosweet71-I hate to say it, but the more blood loss that you have, the more you will bleed. This was part of my problem too. Are you doing anything to stop or minimize the blood loss? One of my doctor's put it to me like this, he said, "You are either going to stop the blood loss or have a blood transfusion." So I knew then that I couldn't just take iron replacement therapy, which up to that point, I thought that I could because the doctor's acted like it was an option. Very confusing. I hope you are doing better soon. You should start your own thread so that maybe we can help you a little more. Keep us posted.
    Hi FLFLOWERGIRL,will start a new thread under bleeding

Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BriansMom444 View Post
    Hi Flowergrl,

Ahhh, ok...just making sure I was on the same page.....:-)

If I can ask your opinion on something? If my ferritin was low in 2006, (between a 5-8) but my BW was normal that indicates Iron Deficiant Without anemia, right?
    Yes, that is correct. Also, what is normal bloodwork? I was complaining of heavy periods 3 yrs prior to my anemia. Back then I knew nothing, but I have looked sense then and my Hgb was at 13 something. So, that tells me something was already going on and not being looked at. For example; Ferritin, I have never had that test prior anemia?

If in 2006 I was Iron Deficiant, then would it make sense to think I've had a bleeding issue (gastrointestinal, ect) for 3 years?
    Anything is always possible, I really don't know. I can tell you from experience with other family members that have had blood loss due to the GI tract and they both had prodominant symptoms and black stool. One case was several ulcers and the other was gastritis and H-Pylori. I would think that you would have had symptoms if it was going on for 3yrs. I have a hiatal hernia and my PCP said that I was probably always losing a small amount of blood, but that was not near enough to cause my 8.5 Hgb. I'm just giving examples here.

I had a hemorhage in 2003 from a miscarriage but never needed blood & even after that, they said my BW was ok. Dr says he doubts any of this is from that. My ferritin, however was only checked in 2006 so I cant say I knew what that was before that time.
    It sounds like you may have been treading water for a long, long time. It takes years to deplete the ferritin. If you never replaced the stores in 2003 which were probably low then, in 2006 you know you were below range. Stores never filled once again, could lead you to today by just having regular blood loss with regular periods.

My periods are usually not heavy although at times they have been. (whose hasnt)
    They don't always have to be heavy. This is just the most common cause. It can be more than one reason.

I went on a CRASH diet from June-Sept & lost 20 lbs. I was taking slim fast. Could that have exabarated more Iron loss?
    I would read a can, I bet you that it's full of iron because it is a replacement. Were you eating meat at this time? Or were you really crashing? If so, then yes this could always be a partner culprit.

I guess Im so concerned why my BW didnt increase after the 2 mo's of Iron. Rather decreased?
    "Been there, done that" so to speak. Perhaps it's malabsorption too.

Geazz, I just had a bone marrow 2 mo's ago for something else.....I would imagine that rules out any Bone marrow issues, what do you think.
    You poor thing. Yes, that would show if something was up. It is considered the "gold standard." Later, maybe tomorrow I will reread through your posts and see a better overall picture and see if anything comes to my mind. Try not to worry yourself so much! I've already done that enough for everyone here! Take care.

I'd appreciate your thoughts~~
    Thx for helping out!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Okay see you then.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User

Hi Flowergrl,

Here was the origional post, LOL.......But I dont know where your reply is,

Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BriansMom444--See above post. This was my reply.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Closed Thread