It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• my results and strange symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
    star_light221
    (female)

star_light221 HB User
    my results and strange symptoms

my iron levels are 6
    my transferrin IBC 71 normal is 45-70 what part of the iron is this?
    transferrin saturation 9% normal=16 to 50,what part of the iron is this?
    serum ferritin assay 23 normal=15 to 290,what part of the iron is this?
    It says that the studies suggest iron defficiency the ferritin maybe misleadingly elevated to within normal range by concurrent inflaatory disease
    I have no inflammatory disease that i know of, what could this be? I was b12 defficient but it has since gone up to normal levels and my folate went up to over 900 after being 400
    I am still having ocular migraines but brain scan showed nothing wrong in that area
    i keep getting these strange quick electical dizziness, terrible electrified and ringing ears,light sensitivity
    and its almost like i can see energy around me,and i am having panic attackes and morbid fear of death
    i am 54 year old and i went through menopause at 37, i have seven grown children the last were twins ,my oldest daughter had celiac disease but i have been tested and do not suffer from celiac
    my tummy burns,bloats,swells and it kicks off the anxiety
    anyone relate
    hugs
    star
    strange symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
    xtine04
    (female)

xtine04 HB User
    Re: my results and strange symptoms

i have some of your symptoms but have an inner ear problem. the low iron has made it worse in that it's almost like a wound that won't heal. to top it off, i leak CSF thru this wound so I get a whole bunch of neurological issues with it.

dunno if that's what you have but you might want to look at secondary things and not just low iron.

if you have ear issues or had any head trauma or spine trauma you might want to consider a CSF leak or something vestibular.

i hope that helps,
    christine

ps- also try a full eye exam

Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Welcome to the boards!

All of these test measure the amount of iron that you have in your body with ferritin being the more telling figure of the iron stores in containment. Have you had a CBC and if so, what are your Hct and Hgb and MCV numbers? Iron is needed to make hgb. Your total body iron levels are low as indicated in your ferritin. Anemia is the last stage of the ferritin stores. You can have low stores without anemia.

Serum iron--this test measures the amount of iron in the blood.

Ferritin-- is a protein that helps ~store iron~ in the body in bone marrow nd organs. This tells how much iron has been used up. Your ferritin should be at least 50-70-100.

Transferrin level OR total iron-binding capacity (TIBC)--tells how much transferrin is in the blood that is NOT carrying iron. People with iron deficiency anemia have a high level of transferrin that has NO iron. Looks like an iron deficiency to me. Hope this helps you.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
    star_light221
    (female)

star_light221 HB User

thank you so much what is a
    CBC . Hct ,and Hgb , MCV numbers? Iron is needed to make hgb. would this cause eye sensitivity and aura migraines
    ?My hemoglobin was normal
    my liver function was also normal
    Star

Old 03-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

These numbers are located on your Complete Blood Count aka (CBC), Hematology report. If they are below range your are considered to be anemic. MCV tells about the size of the cells which can lean towards an iron or vitamin deficiency such as B-12.

If you were anemic, I would say yes, it is possible for some to experience eye sensitivity and migraines. You said you were not anemic though, meaning your normnal Hgb level. Could your migraines and sensitivity be related to your anxiety? What does your doctor think? You may have something else, plus a low iron happening. It can be more than one thing, I have learned this over and over.

A low ferritin can and often does cause anxiety in many people. It's really hard to say (even for doctors) how one person will handle low iron. You have to search all the avenues and rule things out as you obviously are doing.

Have you seen a GI doc for your stomach symptoms and testing? If not, you may want to do this. You could have a reason such as malabsorption of iron, unrelated to Celiac disease. You may also have a little gluten sensitivity happening without a full blown disease.

I had many symptoms but MOST were related to being anemic, and not so much a low ferritin which I think, IMO ~mostly~ causes fatigue. Keep us posted.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Closed Thread