It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• New person, ferritin <1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
    misha7574
    (female)

misha7574 HB User
    New person, ferritin <1

Hi! I'm new here... I'm 34 y/o female and basically in good health (a little over weight).

I tried to give blood last Friday and my Hb was 9.8. They said it's not uncommon when women are on their menstrual cycle, but I wasn't. I went to the doc and they took some blood. My ferritin level is <1. My Hb was up a little from Friday (11) and my hematocrit was 33.9%.

Why would my Hb go up when my ferritin is so low? Is it normal for Hb levels to fluctuate so much?

I don't have "heavy" periods...only 1-2 days of actual flow--but those two days are heavy.

The doctor has me on 1 tablet of Ferro-Sequels (not sure of the dose--I think 100mg) and 500mg of vitamin C twice a day. He told me to come back in three months...

Personally I'm a little more concerned about WHY my ferritin levels are so low. I don't eat "uber" healthy...I eat an average US diet--I'm not a vegetarian.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User
    Re: New person, ferritin <1

Giving blood can make your ferritin very low have you been doing this alot? there are other people that have come here that give blood and end up anemic so you are not alone

Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
    misha7574
    (female)

misha7574 HB User

No...I've only given twice in my life...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by misha7574 View Post
    Hi! I'm new here... I'm 34 y/o female and basically in good health (a little over weight).
    Welcome to the boards!

I tried to give blood last Friday and my Hb was 9.8. They said it's not uncommon when women are on their menstrual cycle, but I wasn't. I went to the doc and they took some blood. My ferritin level is <1. My Hb was up a little from Friday (11) and my hematocrit was 33.9%.

Heavy periods are the most common cause for iron deficiency anemia in women.

Why would my Hb go up when my ferritin is so low? Is it normal for Hb levels to fluctuate so much?

That is how it works. You use the ferritin up until it is gone and you have no more iron in containment. This is what keeps your HGB stable.

I don't have "heavy" periods...only 1-2 days of actual flow--but those two days are heavy.

This is all it takes for years to deplete the ferritin. More iron is lost than taken in.

The doctor has me on 1 tablet of Ferro-Sequels (not sure of the dose--I think 100mg) and 500mg of vitamin C twice a day. He told me to come back in three months...

This is typical and normal. It takes time.

Personally I'm a little more concerned about WHY my ferritin levels are so low. I don't eat "uber" healthy...I eat an average US diet--I'm not a vegetarian.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I forgot to say that the reason your Hgb went from 9.8 to 11 is probably ( and I am guessing) is that the blood bank does a finger stick and the doc uses regular testing via labs. I had that happen to me and the GYN told me that I dropped from 10 to 8.3 and I rushed back to my Hematologist to find out that I was normal low at that time not moderate. Hope that makes sense.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #6
    misha7574
    (female)

misha7574 HB User

Thanks for the info!

Is it normal to have the doctor not check my ferritin levels for three months? From what I've been reading (not just here) most people, upon being diagnosed, go on iron supplements and then have their ferritin checked a month later. He didn't ask about anything other than my periods. It didn't dawn on me until later that I did have quite a bit of unexplained GI bleeding in college. I had an upper GI and a colonoscopy that found nothing. The GI bleeding has happened periodically (1-2 times a year) since then (dark blood...not bright red, but not black, either). He didn't ask about any other things. I just moved back to the area I am in, so this doctor is new to me (I saw him once before for what I thought might be a sinus infection).

Thoughts? Thanks for the info and support!

Closed Thread