It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Flying/long distance travel and low ferritin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User
    Flying/long distance travel and low ferritin?

I just found out that I have ferritin level of 4, only slightly anemic (not terribly) which I guess is why I am only mildly miserable compared to some others. I am short of breath and do have arythmias, which I now attribute to this. Just started the ferrous sulfate five days ago and feel some better already and so far tolerating it.

Question: I have a long ago planned trip to Greece in 10 days. Any reason I shouldn't go that you experts would think of? My doctor doesn't mention anything, like don't exercise (she knows I exercise almost daily, or take on an empty stomach with vitamin C, etc.). While I am fatigued, I think I have the energy to make the trip, but I am wondering if there are health safety issues I am not aware of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User
    Re: Flying/long distance travel and low ferritin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wantok View Post
    I just found out that I have ferritin level of 4, only slightly anemic (not terribly) which I guess is why I am only mildly miserable compared to some others. I am short of breath and do have arythmias, which I now attribute to this. Just started the ferrous sulfate five days ago and feel some better already and so far tolerating it.

Question: I have a long ago planned trip to Greece in 10 days. Any reason I shouldn't go that you experts would think of? My doctor doesn't mention anything, like don't exercise (she knows I exercise almost daily, or take on an empty stomach with vitamin C, etc.). While I am fatigued, I think I have the energy to make the trip, but I am wondering if there are health safety issues I am not aware of.
    Hi there

I am not sure if there are any health issues? it may even do you good to have a rest/change etc

but what did cross my mind is make sure the anaemia doesnt invalidate any insurance if you need it??

I am sure others will post to help more

Hope you feel better soon and have a fab time in greece x

Last edited by gemini123; 03-17-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
    EmilyJ66
    (female)

EmilyJ66 HB User
    Re: Flying/long distance travel and low ferritin?

Not sure about ferritin levels and flying....my ferritin level is 8 and HGB is 15.2 but I've been told my iron level is close to 2X what it should be so I've been taken off iron for 2 weeks and will go for more blood work.BUT, I was told last year if my hemoglobin was 7.5 that I could not fly till it came back up to 11.4 at least.It may be related to my age-65 at that time.I had been taken off iron at that time-close to overload again at that time. So, it seems like HGB levels does have some effect on flying. Anyone else have this situation at some time?

Closed Thread