It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Tolerating iron supplements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User
    Tolerating iron supplements

I am fortunate that I haven't had (yet) too many problems, but I have noticed that the dose I take before bed is side effect free. If I was having problems, I would consider taking one dose before bed and waking up 5 or 6 hours later and taking the second dose and then taking the third dose with a meal (which also has helped me although it cuts down on absorption from what I have read). I am taking 325 mg. ferrous sulfate three times a day.

Maybe this will help someone.

W

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Tolerating iron supplements

IMO, one should never take iron and lay down, especially FS.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    IMO, one should never take iron and lay down, especially FS.
    I have heard that (but then I forgot it). Why is that? I will try and do that.

Also, do you know if you are having diahrea (tolerable) that that means you aren't absorbing the iron? Or you should cut back?

Thanks!

W

Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

It's bad for the esophagus, especially for people with GERD or Hiatal hernia.

I don't know if you are malabsorbing, or better said to what degree maybe? I know that I have read that the higher the dose the less the constipation. I had enteritis for 3 months from Ferris Sulfate and had to stop taking it; however, I did absorb it very much with this happening. But it was also the cause of the problem in the first place. I know people say if it's going straight through you then you are malabsorbing but that wasn't the case for me at all. My Hgb went from 8.5 to 12.9 I think it was in 2 months time. Then I had to stop iron all together because of the enteritis. Crazy! Try cutting the dose if you are at safe numbers ,and can afford to wait to build the ferritin which takes time anyway. How much are you taking and of what?

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    It's bad for the esophagus, especially for people with GERD or Hiatal hernia.

I don't know if you are malabsorbing, or better said to what degree maybe? I know that I have read that the higher the dose the less the constipation. I had enteritis for 3 months from Ferris Sulfate and had to stop taking it; however, I did absorb it very much with this happening. But it was also the cause of the problem in the first place. I know people say if it's going straight through you then you are malabsorbing but that wasn't the case for me at all. My Hgb went from 8.5 to 12.9 I think it was in 2 months time. Then I had to stop iron all together because of the enteritis. Crazy! Try cutting the dose if you are at safe numbers ,and can afford to wait to build the ferritin which takes time anyway. How much are you taking and of what?
    So if I don't have GERD or Hiatal hernia it isn't a problem to take them before lying down?

I do have a stomach ache from the FS (I am taking 325 mg., 3 x a day). My doctor suggested I cut down to twice a day because I am complaining about my chest pain and shortness of breath (but that doesn't seem to make any sense to me so I don't think I am going to do it). How often did you get your blood work done? My numbers weren't safe a week ago so I doubt they are much better now. I am eager to take as much FS as I can safely to move forward so I can exercise, etc. again. (I used to exercise 4-5 times a week and now I am not at all.)

She did suggest I have a colonoscopy and I probably will even though I had one 6 years ago that was okay.

I guess it isn't that surprising from reading these posts, but it is still irritating that I would, over 2 years, complain of RLS to three doctors and none suggested getting my iron checked; they just threw pills at me (requip, etc.) I also have a lot of experience (bad) with doctors and they don't like me. My biggest problem, after there not being any good ones here in my town, is that my husband is one of these people that has never been sick a day in his life and his only experience with the medical profession is when his former wife died quickly and they were wonderful. Fortunately I can be my own advocate now, but when I might need one, I think he will just defer to whatever they say.
    W

Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User

Another anecdote: if you can stick it out, try to. I had, at first, some horrific stomachaches (with some nausea) and thought there would be no way I would last if they kept on. They didn't, so possibly your issues won't either. (And I am someone of whom my husband says: "If there is a known side effect, I will get it.")

W

Closed Thread