It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• "Iron" vs. ferrous sulfate--WARNING

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User
    "Iron" vs. ferrous sulfate--WARNING

My doctor prescribed 325 mg. of ferrous sulfate three times a day for my iron deficiency. So I went to the drugstore, bought some "Iron" that said 65 mg. of iron (the small print underneath said 325 mg. ferrous sulfate). My brain registered ferrous sulfate 65 mg. and I began to work myself up to 15 pills a day thinking that was what the doctor prescribed.

I was confused by reading things about elemental iron, etc. and also the 325 mg. ferrous sulfate writing on the bottle is small. Anyway, I just was talking to the poison control center and I have been taking a toxic dose. The good news is I only did this stupid thing for under a week. The poison control center said I am not the first person to make this mistake and won't be the last. So make sure you are taking the right amount!

I had been feeling worse and worse (shortness of breath, chest pain, etc.). Let's hope I am okay. Tomorrow I will get my levels checked.

W

Last edited by Wantok; 03-19-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: "Iron" vs. ferrous sulfate--WARNING

OMG--You poor thing!!!!! I'm sure your okay though. I wonder what the heck your Saturation is? Now you will not be taking iron for a while. Funny how that is completely opposite of what you wanted to do, I'm sorry. I'm so glad that you figured this out now than later. I always try to make this clear to everyone that takes FS on this board because many do not understand what and how much they actually are getting. I would definitely say that you get the prize for the highest dose of iron here on this board that I have ever seen, other then IV iron. That would scare the crap out of me to say the least. I would have been too ill after the first day let alone a week. I'm so glad that your okay.

I will tell you a quick story that will make you feel better. My Mom always drinks FIJI water out of the bottle and sets it beside her. Well, one night she was painting and needed paint thinner for her brush. My Dad was nice enough to go get some for her and put it in an empty FIJI bottle, and set it beside her. She was painting away not thinking and took a drink and knew immediately what had happened, but it was too late she already drank it. She read the bottle lethal if swallowed XXXX. She called poison control and they said something is not right with your breathing so she went to the ER and she had AFIB from the chemical. The doctors thought that my Dad was trying to kill her or something. They were both questioned and totally embarrassed. She was in the hospital for tests and observation for a couple of days. The worst part is she also has Barrett's Esophagus, which is pre cancer of the esophagus. Are you feeling better now?

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

The following user gives a hug of support to FLFLOWERGIRL:
    Tronz66 (10-05-2011)
    Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User

Went to the ER to get myself checked out and after all that overdosing with iron, my hemoglobin was up a point or so, and the doctor said I could go right back on the iron supplements! I guess that is a sad lesson in how long this iron supplementation takes (and I hope not that I just don't absorb it at all for some reason).

For what it is worth, he said that my arythmias are the likely cause of my shortness of breath (which seems worse) and my iron levels following may have "uncovered" an underlying heart arythmia. In other words, these were not caused by my overdosing with iron (or my low iron). He said that explanation would only make sense if my iron levels were high and they aren't. So I am going for a echocardiagram stress test. Only hope that when my iron levels get straightened away, this body will normalize.

I do have a new appreciation for red meat now. And I am crossing my fingers I can go to Europe with my husband in a week somehow.

W

Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Wantok - fate works in odd ways at times. Maybe if you hadn't 'overdosed' on the iron, you wouldn't have found out about your arythmias so soon. Maybe every cloud does have a silver lining

FLFLOWERGIRL - i did see the funny side of your story about your parents and the FIJI water. I bet your dad was in the dog house for a while after that. Just think, your mum could have nearly had him locked up on an attempted poisoning charge ....... oh dear, men are in trouble when they don't help us and they're in trouble when they do help us women, hehehehe

I do hope your mum never had any lasting effects though. How is her esphagus now?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Thanks Audrey-B she's fine now. No problems. Of course my Dad doesn't think he had a thing to do with this??? It's was all her doing, LOL. Everytime she see's the doc he brings this to her attention. It really was crazy. Glad you enjoyed my story........

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Closed Thread