It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• what can low ferritin levels do to your body

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
    marcia68
    (female)

marcia68 HB User
    what can low ferritin levels do to your body

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: what can low ferritin levels do to your body

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marcia68 View Post
    It causes you to be fatigued and your hair may fall out. Fatigue mostly I think. It also places you at risk for anemia. If you were ever in need for blood you would not have the iron to make it. Hope this helps. Take care.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 03-26-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
    marcia68
    (female)

marcia68 HB User

Yes I'm always tired like I can never get enough sleep. My ferritin level is a 4 and I'm anemic also. I have also had the IV injections for my low iron but it is not helping. I have had hernia repairs done 2 years ago. I had a pelvic ultrasound 1 year ago but the doctor says its ok. I have had a colonostaphy and a gastostraphy both okay. I can't take iron pills they upset my stomach. I also try to eat iron rich foods. I am 40 years old and I just want to know what is causing this. my hair isn't falling out but I am always short of breath, I could also stand to lose about 40 pounds and I eat ice all the time. My doctor has scheduled another set of IV injections and another pelvic ultrasound. Any suggestions on what I can ask my doctor or any tests we might be missing?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

marcia68--Do you have very heavy periods? This is a common cause for females. I had heavy periods and had a transvaginal US and they missed 7 polyps. I decided to have an endometrial ablation and this is when they found the 7 polyps, so it can and was missed. You may want to double check this especially if it has been a year. The scopes will also rule out any internal bleeding. Do you know what your Hgb, Hct and RBC counts are? They tell what stage of anemia you are at. The shortness of breath is usually associated with m ore severe anemia. Sounds like you have been going through this for a while and until the problem is found it will unfortunately continue.

I was also unable to take regular OTC iron supplements because of tummy upset. My GI doc is really good and told me about Poly Iron 150 it is high dose iron which you need right now and it has NO side effects for me. I can even take it on an empty stomach. This is the generic name. You should try other iron if you have no tried many. Or at least a script iron. Mine is scrip or not but located behind the pharmacy counter because it is high dose and you have to ask for it or order it in. It saved me from having IV iron and I am grateful for that. I think that I am as sensitive as you can get. I ended up in the ER over the Ferris Sulfate iron because it is an iron salts based iron, very harsh. Take care and keep us posted.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
    marcia68
    (female)

marcia68 HB User

Thank you so much, I will keep you posted.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You are very welcome!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Old 03-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Aside from all the low iron/anemia related issues FLFLOWERGIRL mentioned, my doctor's concern about me being low in iron over a long period of time was that it can affect the thryoid function. I had 5 iron injections and one of the nurses asked me whether i had a thyroid condition due to my eyes being 'puffy'. About 6 months later i found out i had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

I don't think that my low iron levels caused my thyroid condition, but i guess what my doctor was saying is that it does predispose a person to this type of condition more easily than if your iron had been at a healthy level.

So many of our organs depend on a good blood supply and this blood transports oxygen throughout our system too, as well as carrying nutrients to various parts of our body where they are needed and the blood stream is just one method of dispatching wastes being detoxed from our liver.

One of my relatives had part of his intestine removed some years ago. He was getting iron injections, but is now more stable and takes Ferro-Grad C, one a day. This is a slow release iron supplement. I take this one too. It can be taken with food as well and doesn't cause irritable bowel or constipation.

We're all individuals and are affected differently by low iron and by the supplements we take. What affects one person wont necessarily affect another. Sometimes you have to try a variety of supplements to find the one which best fits you.

Are you aware that certain supplements and foods shouldn't be taken along with your iron supplement or with iron rich foods? Eg: don't take zinc or calcium with your iron supplement and don't eat/drink excessive calcium foods with your supplement or when eating meat. Caffein 2 hours before and after your supplement or iron rich foods is a no no too.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
    marcia68
    (female)

marcia68 HB User

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful. Tomorrow I go for my pelvic ultrasound and Wednesday I start the IV Injections, I have been unable to take iron pills but I have never tried the one you mentioned(I will look for it) Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
    DianaRo42
    (female)

DianaRo42 HB User

Hi Marcia68,

The new iron they use has less side effects for iron infusions. they use for 8 min. and 3 hour infusion. They give you something to help not have reactions usually 2 things, and do a pretest each time.

I found them to be very careful. At least where I went.

Waiting to here your next post. Yes, we are all different!

Not all have had the same results, I have experienced.

Be praying for you.
    Hugs, Dianaro42

Closed Thread