It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• allergic reaction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
    Gobi0308
    (female)

Gobi0308 HB User
    allergic reaction

So today I went for my first iron infusion. I'm a runner and I'm certain it's contributing to my low ferritin count of 3. Pills and diet have not made a difference.

I was put on Infed and immediately had a severe reaction. Got really red, tight chest, tongue started to swell, immense heavy nausea and feeling that I was about to pass out. Fortunately my nurse was quick and shut the IV line and pumped me with benadryl. Now I just feel like crap.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know what to do since I just can't seem to get my iron up and I love to run. From what I've read you lose a lot of nutrients through sweating and believe it or not, foot strike.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: allergic reaction

Gobi0308 --Welcome to the boards!

I knew about runners but never have I heard of foot strike, that's really interesting.

The only thing that you can do really is to discuss your iron options with your Hematoligst/Ongologist and see what they are willing to try for you. Also, only certain types of iron may be covered by your policy. If this doc doesn't have options for you, you may want to consult another that uses a safer, lower dose higher frequency.

Iron sucrose, AKA *Venofer* I was told this is the safest. That is what my Hematologist uses and recommended for me.

Some of the differences and things to know/ask are:

*How fast they work
    *Whether or not a test dose is needed
    *Types of side effects
    *Size of the dose given

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
    Gobi0308
    (female)

Gobi0308 HB User

Hi Flowergirl, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will be sure to ask the right questions this time. Looks like I'll be going in for round two next week and using a sucrose based iron. I'm actually looking forward to it, even after my anaphylactic shock experience. I'm more curious to see how it improves my running. I'm currently functioning on a ferritin count of 3.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Do you mean functioning or running on a 3 ferritin?? I won't say a word. LOL. Take care and best of luck to you with your next IV I hope that you do great. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I hear very good things about this iron. Keep us posted. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Closed Thread