It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• why does my iron level keep going up and down

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
    punks401
    (female)

punks401 HB User
    why does my iron level keep going up and down

why does my iron level keep going up and down When it is down, my palms get dry and my eyes fgeel like they have sand in them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: why does my iron level keep going up and down

Are you constantly on iron supplements while your iron levels are going up and down?

I'm not sure on the answer to your question, but i was constantly on iron supplements, no changes in my diet or lifestyle etc and i was going up and down over 6 weekly periods. At one blood test i was 69, then down to 53 after 6 weeks, then back up to 72 after 6 weeks. This pattern went on for a little while and now i'm back up at 82, but my next blood test is next week and i'm worried i'll be back down to 50 again.

Not sure if this is what you meant with your question, but in my case i don't know the answer either. My doctor didn't know either but said for some reason this occurs.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
    peace4
    (female)

peace4 HB Userpeace4 HB Userpeace4 HB User

Hi Audrey

Have you already done your test?

In your reply above, did you mean your Ferritin or Iron going up & down?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi peace4health I meant my ferritin rose high, then dropped in a 6 week period, then rose up high again in the next 6 weeks, then dropped again in the next 6 weeks. The last rise was up to 82 and i got my results on friday and it had fallen down to 74. At least this time it was just a smallish drop compared to the other times. I'd not done anything different and had continously taken my supplements.

My doctor has now put me on betaine hydrochloride to create a more acid environment in my stomach when i eat. He believes that is where my malabsorption is occuring. Even my Vitamin D moves slowly. I take 5000IU of Vit D per day. If i take 1000IU or only take the 5000IU 3 times per week my levels begin dropping. I also have to take pure iodine daily.

So now i've more or less reached the conclusion that when my iron drops so quick in a short space of time, maybe the environment during digestion and in my stomach was not optimal for proper absorption. Other times when my iron has risen quickly, maybe the environment was sufficient for correct digestion etc. I believe this as my ferritin only began rising much faster once i began taking the digestive enzymes. So now i'm on the digestive enzymes as well as the hydrochloride. The worst part is that now i've been told to take the enzymes one hour before my meals and the hydrochloride 20 minutes before my meals. The problem is, sometimes i'm not sure when i'll be having lunch or dinner so getting these supplements to coincide with my meal times is going to be a bit of a problem at times.

Aside from juggling all the medication and supplements i'm feeling so much better and my thyroid appears to be under control but my doctor is still working on it.

How have you been and how is your ferritin now?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
    peace4
    (female)

A word to punks401 - Just thought to say that I've never experienced dry hands or 'sandy' eyes with low iron.

To Audrey - I wonder how it feels to have Ferritin at 74 Mine has dropped to 5,6. I've had the test done just 3 days ago, but I'm not sure if I can trust that lab's result. So I did another test in another lab yesterday, I'll have the result by Wednesday. Last time it was 31,2 (according to the lab I went to yesterday). I just can't believe it went so low again, that's why I doubted the 1st lab. But it seems that's not a rare occurence.

Interestingly, I don't feel so week as I used to with 9. I guess that's because my hemoglobin is within the range now.

As to hydrochloric acid issue, I read just a few days ago that iron is not absorbed well in low acidic stomachs. So it can well be that my Ferritin went quite high once (87), because at that time I was using at least 2 glasses of vinegar+water daily, usually at breakfast & lunch time (1 table spoon apple cider vinegar to 1 glass of water; a teaspoon of honey can be added). Since some time I've stopped drinking it regularly, and now I wonder if that's the reason my Ferritin went low again. Though I've also had a break in taking my iron supplement for a couple of months.

What a tiring issue... I hope we'll all feel 'normal' soon.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

peace4health - funnily enough, someone at my work today was asking whether i had tried using apple cider vinegar with some water first thing in the morning as it supposedly speeds up the metabolism and aids digestion. As i've bought 2 containers of the hydrochloride i'll have to use it up.

For me, having a higher ferritin, didn't change anything too much as i have my thyroid issues to deal with. Low ferritin symptoms and thyroid symptoms are quite similar. I am a lot better though, but do feel i can get even better.

In your case, unless you find out what precisely is causing your drop in ferritin, i'd be staying on the iron supplements. About a year ago, when my ferritin got to 60, i started taking my iron only about 3 times per week and it started dropping right away. It's too much work rebuilding it so i never miss my daily dose.

There seem to be so many people with malabsorption issues and i'm starting to think so much of it has to do with enzymes and/or lack of stomach acids.

So many of us have been at this for years now and i agree, it does get tiring

Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
    peace4
    (female)

Indeed, you're right I must not give up supplementing with iron. I had run out of it after having taken it for about 9 months, and I had to find it online in some country where somebody could purchase and send it for me. I'm taking Floradix. I wasn't even able to find tablets in the most 'suitable' country (where it would be easy for someone to buy & send it), so I'm taking it in liquid form now, which might be even better for stomach.

Take care

Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It must make it hard when you have to get your iron supplements via another country. Imagine not having the internet!! At least you can do your research online and you then know which type of iron to get.

Good luck with your levels

Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
    peace4
    (female)

Thank you, Audrey. It's hard, indeed. I'm still going around without vitamin C, which is so needed now; but Floradix has some C in it.

My Ferritin is 11 according to one lab (got the result on Thursday), and 5,6 according to another. I'd prefer to believe it's 11 though I know that 11 is also way too low.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You might have to have more Vit C rich foods when you eat meals containing iron if the Floradix doesn't contain sufficient Vit C. I know kiwi fruit, red capsicum, tomatoes and oranges are just some things high in Vit C.

Makes me wonder how some people i know have really bad diets and don't eat healthy at all. They eat a lot of rubbish foods, processed foods and hardly any fruit and not much salads or vegetables and their iron doesn't seem to be a problem and they don't seem to have any health issues............at this stage. My friend, who is also going through health issues, said not to worry, that those unhealthy eaters might seem ok now and never get sick, but they are usually the ones who drop dead when you least expect it. Unlike us guys who never have 100% good health and yet we're still survivors :P

Old 04-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
    peace4
    (female)

They simply seem to have no health problems. I'm sure we're on the right track taking care of our nutrition.

Thanks for vit C info

Old 04-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Don't they say that sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) is high in vitamin C? Maybe you eat that in your country? as a lot of the European countries eat it in some form. Where my parents are from they use the pickled cabbage leaves and put minced meat, rice and spices into each leaf, roll it up and cook the little rolls and then make a tomatoe based sauce to have with it. It's more of a special occasion dish these days as it's fiddly to make.

My mum buys the shredded sauerkraut in the shop and cooks it to have with roast pork. I love it, it's got a real tangy, sort of sour-ish taste and is supposed to be extremely healthy. I think actual sauerkraut is a German delicacy, then again, so many countrys tend to have 101 ways of using cabbage

Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
    peace4
    (female)

Yes, we have pickled cabbage here, but I'm not sure it's high in vitamin C because it's always sold "open" - it sees light and comes in touch with air, both of which minimize the vit C in any product, if I'm not mistaken. The pickled cabbage they make here is chopped (& mixed with carrots), we don't have entire leaves.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I looked it up on the net just to see if my memory was correct and they do say it's very high in Vit C and antioxidants. They went on to discuss anti cancer properties.

I guess most things lose vitamins through air, light and cooking, but if it's high in Vit C to start with then it would most likely still contain a reasonably high amount of Vit C compared to certain other foods.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
    peace4
    (female)

Thank you, Audrey

Closed Thread