It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Advice regarding anemia and work...stressed out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
    GreenGal77
    (female)

GreenGal77 HB User
    Advice regarding anemia and work...stressed out

Sorry to be asking for advice yet again, but I'm pretty concerned. I've been off on a sick leave from work since my anemia was diagnosed because I was so low they said it wasn't safe for me to be working. That was when I was at 7.7 for hemoglobin and 0 for ferritin.

I now have a ferritin of 11 and a hemoglobin of 10.1, however I'm about to get another period and I've still been having bad rectal bleeding so I think it's gone down (my levels haven't been checked in about six weeks, and I haven't had my weekly iron shot in six weeks either because I've been sick)

Anyways, my insurance company called me today to say that they want me to go back to work two days a week, three hour shifts. It's not too bad because at least it's short, but apparently because they are keeping it short my employer will not be provided to offer any accomodations. For example, they won't let me sit, take extra breaks, be late etc., any of that and I coudl lose my job. That's problematic because at my job I'm on my feet running around most of my shift, and I'm a bank teller so I'm dealing with money and to be honest, I can barely balance my own money right now.

so I don't know what to do. Apparently if my doctor sends in additional information I could remain off until my surgery (hysterectomy scheduled at the end of May) but my pay would be cut-off until the additional medical is evaluated.

I want to work more than anything, but half the time after I'm standing or walking around for ten minutes I'm dizzy and nauseous and freezing. I don't know, I'm still really tired and symptomatic. I sleep 12 hours a night...and have been trying to reintroduce gradual exercise but I'm always so dizzy it's hard.

Any advice would be great...it's a big decision and I'm not really sure how to handle it right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
    susieq14
    (female)

susieq14 HB User
    Re: Advice regarding anemia and work...stressed out

GreenGal,

I am so sad to read of your latest dilemma. I've read and posted to you before and you have had to deal with so much. Don't apologize for asking for advice - that's what these boards are for. With that being said, however, I am at a loss as to what to tell you to do. You are really caught in a tough spot. I can't believe the conditions that have been set for your return to work. I know you are in Canada so I don't know what to advise since I'm not familiar with the laws and policies there. Do you have I wish I had a magic wand to wave to make all your troubles disappear. You shouldn't have to compromise your health but perhaps under the circumstances you might have to try going in to work to at least show good faith that you are trying to meet their "rules" and then also start the evaluation to get the time off until your surgery. But if you can't tolerate working you must do what is best for your body and stay home and rest. Blessings to you! Susie

Closed Thread