It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• flowergirl (what ya think)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User
    flowergirl (what ya think)

Well, it has been sometime since I have been on this board. Dealing with other issues.

Infusion8/08
    Ferritin 263

Here are my last two labs.
    11/08
    WBC 8.4(3.8-30.8)
    Hbg 14.2(11.7-15.5)
    RBC 4.11(3.8-3.10)
    Hct 42.4(35-45)
    MCV 103.3(80-100)H
    MCH 37.7(27-33)H
    RDW 13.8)11-15)
    PLt 303(140-400)

Ferritin 163(200-1100)Post infusion in Sept
    Vit12/folate 572/11.1
    Note: Felling pretty good, except my tsh did rise for 1.1 to 2.73(meds were increased due to feeling rundown.

Now 3/09
    WBC 8.4(3.8-10.8)
    Hbg 13.8(11.7-15.5)
    RBC 3.973.8-3.10)(getting smaller)
    Hct 40.9(35-45)
    MCV 103(80-100)H
    MCH 34.7(27-33)H
    RDW 14.1)11-15)(getting larger)
    PLt 354(140-400) increase)

Ferritin 80
    Vit12/folate- 706/10.7

I have not had a period in months, hoping almost reaching menopause( I was told by not having period, my labs/ferritin to be stable, guess not)

Now my Hematolgist want to talk to my gyn because of my last d&C in Dec. 09 which was told to be normal by gyn. So I don't know why my hemo wants to talk to gyno.
    Any thought you may have crazy or scary would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: flowergirl(what ya think)

mbbasketball--Welcome back to the boards!

I know every so often you are going to show up . I see you around on other boards and know that you are still dealing with issues. I am really sorry that you are still having such a puzzle to work out. One good thing on your side is menopause, that's a plus.

Your (MCV) is a measurement of the ~average size~ of your RBC's. The MCV is elevated when your RBCs are ~larger~ than normal, i.e., in anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency. You clearly don't appear to have this problem, and seems you are supplementing B-12/folate too due to your increase which is also good.

When the MCV is decreased, your RBC's are smaller than normal (microcytic), as seen in IDA. I'm sure you know this drill.

Your RDW (the red cell distribution/width) is probably high because you have a lot of different size red blood cells (your mature cells are probably small, but the young new ones your bone marrow produces are larger, this leads to an increased RDW). This is really the only high/normal thing that I see reflected in your labs. I would be sure if you haven't already to ask about this value (MCV) because I would think that it shouldn't stay high as it has, but maybe it is a response to iron. It's hard to say unless you are a Hematologist.

The thing is, what is your reason for iron loss? Could the bleeding after intercourse be enough to cause a lowered ferritin, I don't think so unless it's really bad to be the culprit.

What is your Hematologist saying about your situation? It sounds like he want's to talk to the GYN because he is at a loss as to the nature of the cause, especially if you are not having periods. And the bleeding after intercourse, there can be many reasons for this too, have they found a cause for this?

(I was told by not having period, my labs/ferritin to be stable, guess not)

You were informed correctly, it should work this way IF your periods were the cause of the anemia. It seems something else is in the works here. For me, I was told the same thing as you, so I had an ablation to slow my periods way down. This is when I was able to build the ferritin very slowly. I take iron daily, if not I would be sure to be in that same place as you are. But I have been told that I have to remain on iron the rest of my life due to PPI use causing malabsorption. If that is even the reason . Do you take any medications that can cause malabsorption? I can't remember, have you had the colonoscopy/endo and all is well there. Did they rule out malabsorption syndromes? You have probably had all the typical tests by now. I think that you have been at this a long time now. I wish there was more I could suggest, you just have to keep them looking and testing and don't give up. Any bleeding that is a problem does need to be corrected, it's sounds like you have done this too. I think you may need to push those docs a little harder. What do you think?

One thing I want to know from you is when your ferritin was so high, did you feel really good or could you tell a difference? Keep us posted! I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 04-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User
    Re: flowergirl (what ya think)

Thanks FLFlowergirl for your reply. At my age, sex is not a routine thing. I have lost more blood from a thorne, LOL. So I don't think that is an issure. I do not take any b-vit, just increase my fruit intake.
    I did get an increase of Synthyroid and now on name brand only. That has really reduce my total cholesterol level.
    As far as your question, did I feel any better with ferritin so high? No not really, because at that time my TSH was on the rise. By the time my TSH was getting lower, so was my Ferritin. The only good thing was my hair slowed down from falling out. I did not get the bruises as easily as usual.
    I have had so many scopes. I stopped with the PPI a few years ago, because of the ferritin issues. I take apple cider vinegar and my gastro said that was fine.
    I will be seeing my hematologist and I will see what he has to say.
    Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User

Went to my hematologist, even thou my counts look ok, he has scheduled me for more infusions. He is being pro active and wants to stay on top of my ferritin before it falls and I become anemic again. He still does not know where it is all going, but at least he does not want to watch it fall any further.
    I think my thyroid has a lot more to do with my ferritin issue at this point. I will have my thyroid levels rechecked in a few months. I know since being on name brand Synthyroid has made a huge difference in lowing my cholesterol, even thou my pcp does not think so. But there has been no change in my life style or diet only me thyroid meds. Thyroid issues messes up more with the body than most doctor realize I think.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

mbbasketball--At least your doctor is staying up on your counts, that's very reassuring when your going through something like this. My Hematologists was the same way with my Hgb levels.

I agree, I really think that the thyroid has a lot to do with low ferritin levels and I think that it must begin in the stomach too and Hypo causes heavier periods as well. I was diagnosed with Hashi's in 2005 and it takes years to lower the ferritin so I think that I have been working on it since then and my Hgb was 13. Now on iron it is 14.0'ish range, (not counting the 8.5 Hgb with 2 ferritin when anemic).

My Cholesterol was one of the first things that came up abnormal on the blood test, along with the out of range TSH. They said it was related and to see an Endo which I did. As soon as they started me on Synthroid my Cholesterol levels improved greatly. So, I also agree with you on that one too. I too think that doctors know very little about what really goes on, or we wouldn't suffer with so with so many symptoms.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 04-16-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Closed Thread