It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Hemoglobin up & dwn While on Oral Iron?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User
    Hemoglobin up & dwn While on Oral Iron?

H All,

I havent been on in awhile but Ive read through most all posts & Im happy to see that some of you are doing better. For those who aren't, I know it sure seems like a long road ahead building up these darn Iron stores!

Ive been on Iron 3x/day (Since Dec 08) & Ironically, it doesn't affect me so Im ok with it.
    The only thing my hematologist tests on my revisits, so far is the CBC. She did an iron panel in Feb 09, & my Ferritin was 7. She doesnt always do an iron panel, which probably makes sense (I think Flowergrl posted in one of her ads, her Dr knew it would be low, so why bother) but I dont know if my Ferritin & such is rising. I doubt it, highly.

At first I was on Slow FE for 2 months and my Hmgbn went from a 12.8 (Lab range was 12.0-18.0) to a 12! (Same lab range) ODD! I switched to Ferrous sulphate & in 2 weeks, it went up to a 13.8 (Lab range 11.7-15.5) ....Wondering now, could this have been an error? So I was thrilled. Mind you, during this time, I ate every iron fortified food in site! I do mean everything!
    Two weeks after that, my GYN did CBC & Hemgbn was 12.8. (Lab range 11.7-15.5) Seems like a drop for someone who is consistantly taking iron 3x/day, without forgetting, huh?

So now, 1 month later, I went to my hematologist & it was Hmgbn 13.1 (Lab range 12.0-18.0). In the entire month, it stayed the same for the most part. I even made sure I went right 'before" my period so theres no need to think it could run lower because of that.

Am I wrong to think I should see an increase ONLY & consistant? I thought Id go from 12 to 13 to 14, ect?

Id love to know your opinions~~

My Dr seems to be a lil pushy on the IV Iron. Not in a bad way, more of, if you want your stores increased, take IV.

Ive had all the GI workups, checked for fibroids, my periods arent TOO heavy but of course they say, all other tests are clear........its gotta be the periods.

Also are you supposed to stop Iron before bloodwk? I never did.

How is everone else doing?? Thinking of you all.

Last edited by tricia906; 04-24-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Hemoglobin up & dwn While on Oral Iron?

Rachel--Hello, I've been wondering how you were doing?

If you are still having heavy periods my doctor said, "It's like having a hole in your bucket." it will never fill up. You exceed the amount of iron taken in. We only absorb a small amount of iron daily. I personally had to take 300mgs of elemental iron daily for 1 yr. Now I remain on 150. Maybe this is happening to you.

I have never been told to stop iron before a CBC, but as far as the Iron Panel goes it would skew these results, I think, especially the serum iron, blood in circulation. On one hand you should see an increase, however, if there is still blood loss you can hardly expect it to go up too fast. There does come a time that it slows down. I think that you would be better off checking every 3 months. This is the typical schedule for someone that is not too low in numbers. I feel that these blood draws also add to the mix. They do lower ferritin, just like when you are having a period, if they are frequent.

BTW, It was the ferritin that my Hematologist said, he's not concerned what the number is because he knows it's low. Now, I understand it takes a long time to fill the ferritin as well all know. Take care and keep us posted. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

The following user gives a hug of support to FLFLOWERGIRL:
    apple71 (09-01-2011)
    Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User
    Re: Hemoglobin up & dwn While on Oral Iron?

My doctor checked my levels every 6 weeks until my hemoglobin went into the normal range. After that, she is putting me on an every 3 months schedule. She also told me for CBC and ferritin test (not sure about iron panel), to hold off taking iron until after the test on that day.

My hemoglobin is up to 12.9 and ferritin up to 13. Levels were 9.5 hemoglobin and 2 ferritin. This is 3 months on supplementation. Slow going but it's going up and I'm no longer anemic!

Closed Thread