It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• High Folic Acid, Low B12

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
    SandyES00
    (female)

SandyES00 HB User
    High Folic Acid, Low B12

I am new to this board, but had a couple questions regarding my recent blood test results. I have been experiencing extreme fatigue, dizziness/vertigo, sensitivity to cold and gastro problems for the past few years. I have been searching for a reason, but my doctors say it's nothing. On a recent blood test, my B12 was 231 (ref. 211-911) and folic acid of 20. Since my folic acid is high and B12 towards the lower end, is it possible that I have a B12 deficiency?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: High Folic Acid, Low B12

Hello SandyES00, and Welcome to the boards!

Doctors commonly go by the low end of the range for B-12 deficiency, in your case it is 211 most go by 200. Meaning under 200 they will treat (and recognize deficiency) with RX IM injections of B-12. Your number is very low. You want to run around the top end of the range for B-12.

If you have PA a high intake of folate or folic acid can correct the anemia, but not the neuro symtoms related to this form of anemia. It can, *mask* the anemia and yet the neuro can go untreated and potentially become worse. This is what they mean by masking and many doctors will not check the B-012 until an anemia shows up on the CBC to begin with.

I cannot tell you that you have PA, you would need a doctor to DX this, usually a GI doc. I can tell you though that you should try to get them to RX injections for you to build your stores. You may want to make an appointment with a GI doc to do an Initial Eval for you. Were you DX'ed with anemia through a CBC? Have you had iron and Ferritin tested as well? Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
    micky60
    (male)

micky60 HB User

I was diagnosed with parkinsons disease one year ago, from slight tremor in right hand I now have a very bad constant tremor, also my right leg trembles and hurts my foot is numb and my hip hurts a lot, I am not on meds yet. Three months ago I was found to be b12 deficient the reading was 111, probably due to my alcohol intake, since feb I have had three injections of Hydoxocobalamin,has lightened my mood, but has done nothing for my symptoms, I wonder if I could just be b 12 deficient and not have parkinsons, even though I have classic symptoms, wonder if I had lots of injections of b 12 it would help, as I am sure all this was caused by my lack of b12, as I've had symptoms for maybe five years and not realised, or am I clutching at straws, I am British and live in the U.K.

Last edited by micky60; 05-01-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
    mediqalwriter
    Inactive
    (male)

mediqalwriter HB User

Hi Sandy

It could be small bacterial bowel overgrowth which could have been caused by hypothyroidism. This would explain your sensitivity to the cold (hypothyroidism) as well as your gastro symptoms.

Last edited by mediqalwriter; 06-14-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
    LL37
    (female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Most of these symptoms are related to low thyroid function, I am curing that by taking iodine suppliments called Lugol's. Our diets are apparently completely lacking in essential iodine in our country, try looking it up and reading more.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

I've always read that for neurological healing, you need the active forms of B12 like methylcobalamin. The the hydroxy type is inactive, and you may have a problem converting it, thus you feel better, but you're not getting enough active B12 for healing the trouble. I'd ask for the methyl injections or get the Jarrow methyl sublinguals and take those an see if you see an improvement.

Closed Thread