It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• what to do if your hair continues to fall out after anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
    caitlin6
    (female)

caitlin6 HB User
    what to do if your hair continues to fall out after anemia?

I had anemia 4 months ago and for the past 4 weeks my hair has severely fallen out. It is now down to the stage where the scalp is visible. I am eating lots of iron and taking supplements but it continues to fall out radically. Im scared that it will all fall out! I cut it short because i thought that might help but it hasn't really made a big difference. Is there anything more I can do to slow it down/stop it?

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: what to do if your hair continues to fall out after anemia?

caitlin6--Welcome to the boards!

Well, that's interesting. It could be a couple of things. A low ferritin for one is linked to hair shedding and if your ferritin is still low which I'm sure that it is then it could just be the length of time that makes the difference. The longer you have a low ferritin the more your hair may shed. Anemia I don't think has so much to do with it as does the ferritin AND low iron. Also, if your anemia is related to digestive issues then it could be a malabsorption and at the same time you can also malabsorb other nutrients such as proteins. A lack of protein is a big issue for hair loss. You should have these things checked out soon. It can be from hormones, meds and stress too. Sounds like in your case it could be due to a low ferritin. When I was at my lowest my hair didn't fall out until it continued without raising my ferritin. When I got back to 20ish it started to lessen. Do you have that lab result? Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
    caitlin6
    (female)

caitlin6 HB User

Thanks for the welcome Flowergirl!

I haven't hear of ferritin, how do I increase my intake of it?? Is it a kind of protein?

Thanks!

p.s I'll go eat some eggs right away

Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Protein is good. Funny you ask if ferritin is a protein because actually it is a type of protein, but not the one that you are thinking of. Ferritin is an ~iron storage protein~ that the body synthesizes because "free iron" is actually toxic to our bodies. To prevent this iron toxicity the body then regulates the level of ferritin synthesis to accommodate different levels of iron. Ferritin is basically iron stores, stored in the bone marrow and organs; like the liver and spleen. This is used by the body when your need for iron is increased to build the Hgb level to keep you from becoming anemic.

When your total body iron is high ferritin is usually high, when total iron body is low, ferritin tends to be low as well. ~Iron deficient people~ tend to have a ferritin less than 10-12-15 whatever the bottom of your range is. My Hematologist says under 10, there is no iron remaining.

Ferritin can also be confusing in the presence of inflammation, because it is an ~acute phase reactant~, and can also be elevated in the setting of an iron deficiency anemia. For example; if you have an infection along with iron deficiency anemia you could still be iron deficient with a very high ferritin.

If you were anemic, you should have had a ferritin count. Maybe you did and don't realize it, in that case ask for a copy of your labs. You need one now if your hair is shedding to see if this is the problem or contributing to it. Anemia is the end stage of the ferritin stores. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
    joisbelle
    (female)

joisbelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    Protein is good. Funny you ask if ferritin is a protein because actually it is a type of protein, but not the one that you are thinking of. Ferritin is an ~iron storage protein~ that the body synthesizes because "free iron" is actually toxic to our bodies. To prevent this iron toxicity the body then regulates the level of ferritin synthesis to accommodate different levels of iron. Ferritin is basically iron stores, stored in the bone marrow and organs; like the liver and spleen. This is used by the body when your need for iron is increased to build the Hgb level to keep you from becoming anemic.

When your total body iron is high ferritin is usually high, when total iron body is low, ferritin tends to be low as well. ~Iron deficient people~ tend to have a ferritin less than 10-12-15 whatever the bottom of your range is. My Hematologist says under 10, there is no iron remaining.

Ferritin can also be confusing in the presence of inflammation, because it is an ~acute phase reactant~, and can also be elevated in the setting of an iron deficiency anemia. For example; if you have an infection along with iron deficiency anemia you could still be iron deficient with a very high ferritin.

If you were anemic, you should have had a ferritin count. Maybe you did and don't realize it, in that case ask for a copy of your labs. You need one now if your hair is shedding to see if this is the problem or contributing to it. Anemia is the end stage of the ferritin stores. Take care. FLFG
    What is considered a lot of hair falling out? I see a little bit when showering, but not a lot and have long hair, if that makes a difference...

joisbelle

Closed Thread