It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferritin going up but I still feel horrible???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
    goldencubs
    (female)

goldencubs HB User
    Ferritin going up but I still feel horrible???

Hi Everyone,

Since last fall I have been feeling really tired and weak. I recently found out that I have low ferritin. Doc started me on 3 iron pills a day and recently up-ed it to 4. My hemoglobin and hematocrit were borderline and now they are just slightly above borderline. My ferritin had been a 13 and now, 6 weeks later, is 22. I experienced 2 weeks of feeling better but now I feel horrible again (my period just ended). Doc doesn't know what to make of this as he feels everything is in normal range.

Could I still feel this bad from a ferritin level of 22? I feel shaky, fatigued, breathless, and I'm having heart palpatations. My muscles hurt and ache too.
    How high does my ferritin have to get for me to feel relief from these symptoms? I do have an inner ear disorder too that requires lots of my energy.

I'm starting to feel like I'll never feel better again.

Jessica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Ferritin going up but I still feel horrible???

jessica--Welcome to the boards again! I think I just welcomed you in another post, LOL .

Jessica, you WILL feel better again, really. It just takes time. If your doctor thinks that your numbers (referring to the ferritin) are all in range I would say that he is correct, however, you should tell him that you are still iron deficient and your body is telling you this. You could also have something more going on that is always a possibility for all of us. But a lot of symptoms could very well be from iron. The end stage of iron (ferritin) stores is anemia, you just aren't at this lower point yet. Eventually if the reason is not found then you will keep having this problem, even if you raise your numbers to way normal levels. Heavy menstrual bleeding is usually the cause in women. Digestive issues are usually next. What do you think because you know your body better than anyone else. Sounds like your period may be a problem for you. It takes years to deplete the ferritin and up to a year or more to replete it.

The next thing that I would suggest that I also had to do was have an EKG and Heart Echo to rule out any other possible causes. It's really easy, both of these tests, and then you have more knowledge and know that it's a cause from your low iron levels or not. It's just so very common to feel as you are when your numbers are like yours. It's always better to test and know than worry.

I don't know what type of iron you are on but 4 a day seems like a lot of taking supplements to me. I would ask for a RX for 1 X only. This iron is usually much better than the OTC stuff too. Be sure that you don't start having GI issues with it too. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Closed Thread