It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Possible Anaemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
    Emk28
    (female)

Emk28 HB User
    Possible Anaemia?

Please help, I have been suffering with tiredness, digestion problems and many other symptoms including aching, dizziness, fast heart rate, slurred speech (when tired), confusion, vision problems, headache and poor memory amongst other things.

I went to the GP initially with the digestion problems as I thought this was effecting my energy levels, I was told a food sensitivity was unlikely, and that they would do tests and if I had some kind of sensitivity/intolerance I would probably be anaemic. The food sensitivity test came back normal, but my Anaemia tests came back with Ferritin 7 (normal 15-200), Vit B12 163 (170-900), Folate 4.4 (2.5-20) The surgery rang and said I had to start taking iron Pregaday was prescribed. No further investigation was done regarding my digestion problems, the GP concluded it was IBS even though the IBS medication did not help.

After taking Pregaday for one year my levels have come back as normal Ferritin 20, folate 7.2 and B12 174 I feel that these are still low, maybe not clinically low, but low within normal ranges. For example if my B12 was 4ng/L lower it would be classed as low and treatment commenced, however now they say I am fine! I do not feel the Pregaday helps but all the GP does is take another blood test and tells me to continue with the tablets as my levels are fine, and suggests I could be depressed! I am not depressed, however after over 12 months of this tiredness which bar the odd couple of days here and there is constant! Life at the moment is hard work as I don't have the energy to do all the things I used to do, I have taken a lot of time out for uni due to not being able to concentrate in lectures. If it wasn't for the fact I have children I would probably just sleep all day. Every morning I wake up feeling tired. And a couple of times I have felt that tired that if not carrying on was an option I would have taken it which deeply saddens me. I don't have the energy to do things like go out, I feel I am not capable of doing a quarter of what I used to achieve in my life. I am very frustrated with my GP but don't know where to turn.

Sorry for such a long post. Any advice would be much appreciated x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Possible Anaemia?

Emk28--Welcome to the boards!

First off you should get a copy of those labs which your are entitled to. You should see what you H & H and RBC's counts are. Have you been taking B-12 for the last year because you don't say, if not this could be and according to your lab IS not a good thing. Ferritin 20, I know is too low. According to the labs and technically speaking it's normal however, for healthy levels it should be at least 50 count and higher. But this is what they usually tell you "anything in range" is normal. And also that ferritin has no symptoms. I disagree. Folate 7.2 I am not sure of that number, all I know is that I run > greater than 20 on my results. So, you may be a little low still in that. A B12 of 174 with the low end of the range 170 means you are borderline low normal. However here we go again, many patients and some doctors will tell you that a B-12 of 400 range can still present with symptoms. To make a comparison here I usually run around 850 so you can see you are not near the top of that range which is where you should be with the B-12. I am really curious if you have been taking B-12 for the last year along with the Pregaday which I think is equal to 100mg of elemental iron. I always feel that if you are not making progress within at least 3 months on labs then you need to try something more. Your ferritin is not going up much at all for 1 yrs time on supplements. Are you having menstrual cycles? Perhaps you need more iron, I have to take 150 mgs daily to get what I need everyone needs a different amount. I would ask the doc for a supplement change since this one was not effective enough. Really I also think that you should be getting IM injections of B-12 until your numbers are up, if this is not an option then you can do the sublingual B-12 Mythel form of B-12 under the tongue and that is good as well for many. It really sounds like you may have malabsorption happening so in that case you may want to consult another GI opinion especially since your numbers have not really gone up much. A test for IF intrinsic factor in the gut is a blood test that may benefit you. Or Celiac but that may be the one that they ran for food on you already, it is a gluten intolerance. You should find out if this has been tested with your symptoms and labs. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
    Emk28
    (female)

Emk28 HB User

Hi Flower Girl, thank you for replying to my post. I have copies of all my blood tests, the latest blood test for everything was Aug 08. there doesn't seem to be a H&H result, however these are the results of what was tested:

HB 13.0 (11.5-16.5)
    WBC 4.6 (4.0-11.0) I think low?
    PLTS 171 (150-450) again quite low?

RCC 4.42 (3.8-4.8)
    HCT 0.382 (0.37-0.47)
    MCV 86 (80-100)
    MCH 29.4 (27.0-32.0)
    MCHC 34.0 (31.5-35.0)
    RDW 17.3 (11.5-14.5) High!

NEUT 2.7 (2.0-7.5) quite low end of normal
    LYMPH 1.6 (1.0-4.0) "
    MONO 0.2 (0.2-0.8) "
    EOS 0.1 (0.0-0.4)
    BASO 0.0 (0-0.1)
    NEUT 58 ( 40-75)
    LYMPH 35 (15-45)
    MONO 4 (2-10)
    EOS 2 (0-7)
    BASO 1 (0.0-2)

I know that apart from the RDW everything is classed as normal but they are quite low normals ssome of them. It frustrates me because I am 28, slim, eat well compared to people I know, and feel my levels should be much more healthy! A previous blood test in June 2008 saw my HCT also low at 0.354. I am going to book in to have another full blood test done, where is haemoglobin on this test?

I haven't been taking B12 as my GP said pregaday is enough, I feel it isn't and feel it was aimed more at my folate, and pregaday is rich in folic acid. i feel the injections would benefit me greatly. the trouble I have ids that I don't want to go in and tell the doctor what he should be doing.. however I am not prepared to carry on like this.

I do have menstrual cycles, but over the past couple of years I will bleed for 2-3 days then stop for 2 days then bleed for a further 2. the past two months though I have just bled for 3 days. it is heavy, and very painful. I have had some post intercourse and mid cycle bleeding too. This has been assessed by a gynae and a biopsy of some skin changes on my cervix was taken - I am awaiting the results.

I feel I have an absorbtion problem, especially considering the stomach problems a have, plus dizziness and sleepiness after eating. Bar the past 18 months I was a persaon who never ever got ill - not even cathching a cold! Now I feel like a pensioner ha!! GP says no gluten intolerance, but I do abvoid it, or wheat mostly and my stomach problems reduce. I also avoid dairy as it makes me very mucus-y and causes my eczema to flare up.

Thank you so much for your help x

Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

HB is your hemoglobin.

With a B12 level like yours, you probably should be supplementing with methylcobolamin form of B12. Most likely, the Pregaday does not have enough individual vitamins in them to make a difference if you are low. They are fine for people without a deficiency, but usually not sufficient if you are low. You have to get the individual vit. you are low in and take that seperately in addition to the pregaday. My vit. B12 was low and I take methylcobolamin 1000 daily along with methylfolate 1000 daily.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Emk28--The proof is in your lab number for B-12 that you are needing more in your body stores. This ~may~ also result in symptoms, and as you say, it is close enough to showing up as a deficiency. I really don't get it. I would first request IM injections and go from there to the Methyl--cobolamin form of active B-12 as S-BL. herekittykitty is one example of how people supplement on their own. The supplement that you are taking is B-9 and Iron only (no other vitamins added to my knowledge) no form of B-12. This is part of your missing link to feeling better and bringing your numbers up. The next thing is a better choice of iron for you because your numbers didn't do much in 1 yr, that's crazy to stay on the same dose, perhaps same iron!? You don't have to tell your doctor what to do just suggest that you would feel better if you were offered the opportunity to a trial dose of B-12 to see if it may help you. You should learn now how to deal with your doctors because as we age it only becomes more complicated and you don't want to end up nodding your head to them, you need to know and be informed. Therefore, you can hold an intelligent conversation and explain what you know. Always, focus on symptoms that relate to your problem, in your case B-12 and iron.

Good luck with your test results at the GYN. Keep us posted.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 06-25-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Closed Thread