It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Long Time No See, An Update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
    j0j0quan
    (female)

j0j0quan HB User
    Long Time No See, An Update

I was diagnosed with anemia in March 09 with a hgb of 7.7 and a ferritin of 3. b12 was on the low normal end and negative fecal occult for blood.

Given 2 units of blood.

OB/Gyn says that my cycles don't sound heavy enough to be considered "excessive bleeding".

A month after taking 1/3 of a dosage of ferrous sulfate (1 tablet) my ferritin jumped up to 17 but I was having bad side effects even on that dose so I stopped and was going to try something else.

That ended up being a month or so and I took a combo pill that had a combination of iron but no sulfate. Took that a few weeks and was having side effects so I stopped.

Two months after blood test ferritin of 17, I tested again...back down to 3 already.

So not only was I unable to maintain my level but I had dropped down again to where I began. Someone suggested that I still be malabsorbing even though I had that intial rise because I was unable to maintain it.

Anyway, I have an option to do infusions once a week for 4-6 weeks. But I also found a new supplement that is only ferrous fumurate so I might try that first. The second supplement only had 156% daily value. Sulfate has 361% and this fumurate has 275%.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User
    Re: Long Time No See, An Update

I was having side effects from iron supplements and my doctor put me on amino chelated iron. I have no side effects from this. I don't even have the black stools with this. It is also supposed to be more highly absorbably than the others.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
    j0j0quan
    (female)

j0j0quan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    I was having side effects from iron supplements and my doctor put me on amino chelated iron. I have no side effects from this. I don't even have the black stools with this. It is also supposed to be more highly absorbably than the others.
    The second one I tried that was 156% daily value had chelated in it. My ferritin didn't go or maintain. It went back down.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Hi sorry to hear your levels are down again it must be a nightmare for you.

My experience of ferrous fumarate is that it seems much kinder on the stomach. I ran out of them and took some ferrous sulphate and after a while my stomach was really hurting so i stopped taking them and went out and bought the fumarate which was much better.

So i hope this form of iron works better for you x

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
    j0j0quan
    (female)

j0j0quan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemini123 View Post
    Hi sorry to hear your levels are down again it must be a nightmare for you.

My experience of ferrous fumarate is that it seems much kinder on the stomach. I ran out of them and took some ferrous sulphate and after a while my stomach was really hurting so i stopped taking them and went out and bought the fumarate which was much better.

So i hope this form of iron works better for you x
    Thanks, Gemini. I have other health challenges which makes me taking medications multiple times a day more difficult But no one said life is easy and perfect

Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

j0j0quan-- Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear your numbers have fallen again. IMHO, I wouldn't waste time with just any iron. I would get a good script from a GI doc or a well informed doc with the right amount of iron and GI friendly to meet your needs. Because if this doesn't work then your alternative is IV iron therapy. You want to know that you have exhausted iron supplements and that they are not working before you go that route. Take care and keep us posted. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
    j0j0quan
    (female)

j0j0quan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    j0j0quan-- Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear your numbers have fallen again. IMHO, I wouldn't waste time with just any iron. I would get a good script from a GI doc or a well informed doc with the right amount of iron and GI friendly to meet your needs. Because if this doesn't work then your alternative is IV iron therapy. You want to know that you have exhausted iron supplements and that they are not working before you go that route. Take care and keep us posted. FLFG
    It's a bit difficult to deal with the doctors in this HMO. I think because it is so challenging for me to physically take any medication multiple times a day that I might go for the infusions for now. I don't have problems swallowing the pills, my stomach just doesn't have the capacity to handle food, liquids and meds in the amount that I need. That's why I'm deficient in the first place.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I see, in that case it's worth a try to see how you do and how long your body can hold onto the iron. Sorry this is so difficult for you. Anemia and low ferritin are hard enough as it is. Let us know how you are getting along. Thanks again for the update! FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Closed Thread