It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Retic Count on Iron Pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
    Retic Count on Iron Pills

I've read that your retic count goes up when you start iron pills - that your body is pumping up production.

I'm wondering if anyone has had their retic count done after being diagnosed iron deficient and starting on iron pills. I know it takes longer for it to show up in your hemoglobin, but production starts pumping up apparently in 7-10 days.

My retic count after three weeks on iron pills was 7% - I also have hemolytic anemia, but I wonder how much of that increased retic count is due to the iron and how much is the hemolytic anemia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Retic Count on Iron Pills

Quote:
    Originally Posted by japlopper View Post
    I've read that your retic count goes up when you start iron pills - that your body is pumping up production.

I'm wondering if anyone has had their retic count done after being diagnosed iron deficient and starting on iron pills. I know it takes longer for it to show up in your hemoglobin, but production starts pumping up apparently in 7-10 days.

My retic count after three weeks on iron pills was 7% - I also have hemolytic anemia, but I wonder how much of that increased retic count is due to the iron and how much is the hemolytic anemia.
    Hello Jill!?!

Good question. (AIHA) Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia and a Retic Count greater than >2% can be contributed to many causes. In your case it could be several contributing to your higher values.

Things that can alter the (ARC) are as follows: Anemia Supplementation (or IV Iron), Folate, Iron and Vit-B 12 supplementation. This is a typical response to iron in the presence of anemia as you know.

I can share my retic count with you. I had an 8.5 hgb and began oral iron therapy; however, my retic was not done by my Hematologist until the 3 month mark. At this time my Retic Count was 2.8 % with a range of % 0.6-2.8. So, I was at the top of the charts. You are well over this point. I am thinking the only thing for you to do is have a repeat ARC test and compare notes. Anything over your range may be related to your AIHA. Do you also supplement with B-12? Very interesting.

Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flowergirl!
    Thank you so much for sharing. So adding iron really does increase the retic count - that's interesting. I wish we knew what they were before. It'd be nice to know.

All these articles on the internet tell what raises the retic count, but they rarely give the actual values. It'd be nice to know from what to what.

I found someone with AIHA who had a retic count of 20%.

Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Jill--Yes, the retic count does respond to iron. It would be interesting to know the count before, I agree on that. I wish that I also knew my ferritin count too, but I will never have that information.

The person with a retic count of 20%, wow that's really high. Let me know what you find out. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
    GHSdrummajor200
    (female)

GHSdrummajor200 HB User

hi , my name is laura , i just turned 20 a 3 months ago , and i had a blood test done and it said my retic count was at 21.7 , and the dr's are all confused, cause they all had thought i had to much blood for ahile and a few years ago ( its has been over a year since) i had phlebomies done like 2 a month , but i have no clue if thats is bad or not , i was just told its not good but nothing to worry really about ,

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have a high retic count because I have hemolytic anemia and my bone marrow is on high trying to replace what my immune system is destroying.

But yours is really high. Are you tired? Are your other results ok? I think the retic count is just one part of the big picture - is it trending up or staying the same?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
    peace4
    (female)

peace4 HB Userpeace4 HB Userpeace4 HB User

Ladies, does retic mean reticulocytes?

If so, their count must decrease, not increase, with iron. The higher their numbers, the more red blood cells our bone marrow is trying to produce in order to meet our body's need of the latter. Taking iron raises the RBC count, so the bone marrow doesn't have to produce more reticulocytes (which are actually young RBCs), & their number decreases.

Your posts are contradictory to what I know. Am I getting something wrong?

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
    GHSdrummajor200
    (female)

GHSdrummajor200 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by japlopper View Post
    I have a high retic count because I have hemolytic anemia and my bone marrow is on high trying to replace what my immune system is destroying.

But yours is really high. Are you tired? Are your other results ok? I think the retic count is just one part of the big picture - is it trending up or staying the same?

im not really tired i just have no energy , i have to force myself to get up and do things it sucks , i actually had had a really bad heache to were i was blacking out at work and was sent home to find blood vessels in my eyes breaking , so i went to the eye dr and he said something is wrong blood wise go see your hematologist and i did and he said its just stress your perfectly fine but im going to run this one test called your reticulocyte count and im 100% positive it is going to be normal , and sure enough he called a few days later and said it was at 21.7 and called me in and i met up with a dif. dr and med students and they ran a ton of tests , but i havent got back with them , i feel okay , the only thing is now when i blow my nose nothing but blood has been coming out , its really odd , for like 2 weeks now . i dunno if that has anything to do with the number being that high , but i have a new dr apt in a few weeks , hopefully i will find out . so far no dr has been able to put everything together . my hemaglobin and has been a lil high . all my numbers have been fliping and floping the last couple years. in 2004 i had a b12 of 208 ( normal then was 220-960) and leukocyte akaline phosphate was 134 ( normal 11-95) but honestly i have given up ... going back and fourth to many dr's and not one can explain why everything is the way it is , it gets frustrating , so i stoped going in , hopefully everything will really be okay . im just lost as to what to do or who to see ,

Closed Thread