It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• how much iron should i take?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User
    how much iron should i take?

My ferritin is 19 and my doctor wants it to be 100 but he won't tell me how much iron to take he just wants me in the hospital for iv iron. I was just diagnosed with celiac disease and have been gluten free for almost two weeks. From what I understand my intestines will start to heal quit soon so I will be able to absorb more iron. Before being diagnosed I was taking 18mg 3 times a day and after three months my ferritin only went from 16 to 19. I wonder if I should continue with the 18mg three times a day and see if that works now that I'm gluten free or go do a higher dose. I will have my levels checked in three months to see if it goes up. Is anyone on a higher dose than 18mg three times a day. I wonder how high I can go without getting toxic. I'm trying to get numbers up higher without going into the hospital which can be quite expensive.

Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: how much iron should i take?

Hi beth67 - yes a ferritin of 19 is still low, even if you aren't anemic. It's good your doctor actually has a target for you (to reach 100) as most doctors are fine for you to be "within range", even if you are at the bottom of the range.

I agree with you, i personally dont feel there is a need for hospital at this point. You are fortunate they discovered you are Celiac. Mostly i've heard you need to be off gluten for 6 months. Someone i know has just done her 6 months and she was anemic pretty much most of her life. Now, with iron supplements, her ferritin is 110.

18 mg 3 times per day isn't enough and you can easily go higher. Mine contains 325 mg dried ferrous sulfate. I'm taking Ferro-Grad C and i've been on this one for a year. I have a different problem to yours though and my iron levels aren't easily treatable, so i'm on iron daily for probably ever.

As you have Celiacs, it might be an idea to check things like Vitamin D and B12. Often if you aren't absorbing iron then there is a chance you can be low in these.

Best wishes with going gluten free, i know it's hard as i've tried it an remain "somewhat" gluten free, but not 100%. Keep us posted on how things go

Closed Thread