It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Mcv question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
    doxielove
    (female)

doxielove HB User
    Mcv question

My mcv has consistently remained between 77-78 for at least the past 8 years (not sure prior to 2001). Can a slightly lower mcv be normal for some people or does a lower mcv always mean something is wrong? My hemoglobin and hematocrit have never fallen out of the normal range.

Last edited by doxielove; 08-23-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Mcv question

doxielove--Welcome to the boards!

That is a good question, I can explain a little perhaps. Ranges are just that and nothing more. Not all people will fit into these ranges and this is the way it is for some. Doesn't necessarily mean something is abnormal. However, it could mean many different things for individuals.

As far as the MCV goes the Normal Adult range is 80-100'ish depending on labs, with 90 being at optimal range. This is the goal to be OPTIMAL.

MCV, MCH, MCHC, and RDW are measurements or calculations related to red blood cells (RBCs).

Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is a measurement of the average size of your RBCs.

The MCV is elevated when your (RBC's) red blood cells are larger than normal, i.e., in anemia caused by Vit B-12 deficiency.

When the MCV is decreased, your (RBC's) red blood cells are smaller than normal (microcytic), such as seen in Iron Deficiency Anemia or Thalassemias.

From my own experience I was classed as being moderately anemic with a severely low MCV of 65. I know this is not a good example because it was so low; however, now with ongoing treatment for years, my MCV is 90 at an OPTIMAL level.

I cannot give you a definitive answer. I hope that the information given has helped a little. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
    doxielove
    (female)

doxielove HB User
    Re: Mcv question

Thank you FLFlowergirl! I do tend to run iron deficient. I have been to a couple different doctors throughout the years. None of them shared my labs with me until I switched last year jan 2008. My latest doctor does not seem concerned about my labs. So it could just be I am filling myself with anxiety over nothing. All of my labs are consistent with iron deficiency except for ferritin. At last check my ferritin was 135. I know higher than what it probably should be. I have had acid reflux for many years and decided last year to go get it checked out. Basically I have mild reflux injury and the nurse mentioned something about Barretts Esophagus. Which I take that to mean that I have had some pretty bad heartburn over the years. I thought maybe that was why my ferritin might have been so high, it has been at 196 before I started to take Nexium. I have been on iron off and on since 2005, like I said I don't know what my labs were prior to last year...but since 2008, my iron levels went up nicely and everything leveled out, my mcv even went up to 78.4. I don't take much iron because I am having a hard time tolerating it, with alot of constipation...even just small amounts of iron (6 mg). So at that rate my mcv will probably never go up! LOL. I was tested for Thalassemia, and that was negative. I had a colonoscopy and that showed nothing. Tested for Celiac and Crohns both negative. My periods aren't heavy. I had a full pelvic ultrasound and biopsies and those were all negative. My last resort is the thyroid, but my TSH is in the normal range also! I have alot of thyroid symptoms and I hate to self diagnose myself because I am usually wrong! Oh and I have been on the birth control pill for 17 years. I am not feeling sick with anything other than some body aches, which I feel sometimes like it could just be anxiety. Its nice to be able to talk with other people about this, because sometimes I think my husband thinks I am nuts!! I have been watching this board for a long time, just to afraid to chime in.

Closed Thread