It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Possible anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
    Zipity
    (female)

Zipity HB User
    Possible anemia?

So I've been really run down lately. Headaches, ears ringing, jaw pain. I figured it was allergies or sinus issues. Well, now I've noticed a few bruises on me. The kind where you go "hmmm, I don't remember bumping into anything there!" I have a few on my legs, and one on my arm. I also have noticed my legs "falling asleep" more easily at night in bed. So, of course I've been googling like crazy. I had a baby via c-section 14 weeks ago. I was not anemic during my pregnancy, but thought maybe I could be because I'm breastfeeding? It would make sense that I need extra iron for the baby right?
    Well, now I found another forum where people were posting about their anemia symptoms and someone said they developed anemia from taking lots of Motrin after having surgery. Guess what I lived off of for weeks after my c section. Yup. Motrin. I took that because I didn't want to take a narcotic that they prescribed me. I think it was percocet. So I took the Motrin instead. But I was taking a pretty constant dose of it. I haven't been taking it regularly for about 7 weeks now, but I have been taking it off and on for regular aches and pains.
    Oh, and I also have been experiencing heart palpitations, which I HAVE experienced all my life, and experienced more during my pregnancy because I wasn't drinking enough water, and was drinking too much caffeine so I ended up dehydrated. I only have one or two caffeinated beverages a week, and everything is either non-caffeinated soda, either diet or regular and TONS of water. So I couldn't figure out why they were still happening every now and then. Is this piecing together to sound like I could be anemic????
    I took a prenatal vitamin tonight to see if that helps make me feel any better, but in the meantime, any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
    Re: Possible anemia?

It sure sounds like anemia, but the only way to know for sure is to have a blood test. Plus, you'll want to know how bad it is to know how to fix it.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
    Zipity
    (female)

Zipity HB User

I also noticed my symptoms being worse at night. Like around 8 at night my whole body just feels run down and weak. Not tired like I could take a nap, but weak.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
    HerRoyalHighnes
    (female)

HerRoyalHighnes HB User

Dear Zipity:

Sounds like anemia; but heartily agree with japlopper—get some blood work done. It could be anemia; but could be the thyroid. Make sure you have your ferritin checked with the iron and have your free T3 and the thyroid antibody test done with the other thyroid tests. You have to generally ask for these extra tests. My thyroid came up normal until we checked free T3 and the thyroid antibody; which I had the antibodies which is called Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. Supposedly, very common after/during pregnancy. Also, a need for progesterone (identical hormones only, please) plays a role. * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Your prenatal is real important after childbirth, especially if you’re breastfeeding. I like taking Floradix Iron + Herbs first thing in the morning to help with iron. It’s only 10 mg. and has a really great track record. Eat really well. Be good to yourself. Take care of yourself and do what you need to do. That baby depends on you. Look at it as if you were in an airplane. They tell you to put the oxygen mask over yourself FIRST, then your child. There is a reason—you could faint before you get your mask on and then where would the child be?

Let us know.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-05-2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
    Zipity
    (female)

Zipity HB User

Thank you for the information. My thyroid was the other thing I was wondering about. I'm unfortunately a hypochondriac-googler. Lol I was reading about HT and it said it's more common in people with diabetes...I had gestational diabetes so I wonder if that can affect it too!
    I'm definitely going to make a dr appt for next week. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-05-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Closed Thread