It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How severe is my anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
    CAM1966
    (female)

CAM1966 HB User
    How severe is my anemia?

Hello All,

I am hoping someone can help me interpret my lab results. I was recently diagnosed with Iron Deficiency Anemia and these are the results I received that were flagged as abnormal:

RBC - 4.12
    HGB - 10.1
    HCT - 32.8
    MCV - 79.6
    MCH - 24.5
    MCHC - 30.8
    Iron - 13
    Transferrin (TIBC) - 284.5 (this was not abnormal)
    % Saturation - 3
    Ferritin - 7

I am feeling very ill and have almost all of the symptoms I have read about in my research on this board and other sites. I am waiting to hear from my Dr. to see what the plan of treatment is going to be. Are these levels dangerously low? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Cathy

Last edited by CAM1966; 10-08-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: How severe is my anemia?

CAM1966--Welcome to the boards!

Sorry you are feeling bad. To answer your question, no your Hgb & Hct levels are NOT dangerously low. You are considered to be a grade 1, with mild anemia almost moderate, you are right on borderline. This is why you feel bad and are experiencing symptoms. Your iron stats are low which may point to iron deficiency anemia. Keep us posted. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
    CAM1966
    (female)

CAM1966 HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL and Ellis2ca,

Thanks to you both for your replies! I appreciate your thoughts. My situation is rather complex because I have other medical conditions that may be contributing to how I'm feeling - Lupus, Sjogren's Syndrome and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I also have a fibroid in my uterus that has been growing larger and causing me to have heavier periods. I have an appointment to see about having a procedure to address that so I'm hoping it may help. I do think I will see a hemotologist however, to get another opinion about my levels. I also had blood drawn to check my thyroid levels and also a test for Mono, so I am awaiting those results. I will update soon.

Cathy

Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
    CAM1966
    (female)

CAM1966 HB User

Well, my thyroid levels were fine and I'm negative for mono. I have an appointment with a hemotologist next Tuesday, so we'll see what he says about my situation. My PCP says that my my anemia is not severe enough to be making me feel so terrible, but my rheumatologist disagreed saying my low iron levels could definitely be doing it. He said according to my saturation level, I have only 1/10 of the iron in my body that I should have. I'm sure the hematologist will give the definitive word on the subject. I also have an appointment on Nov. 2nd to have an MRI and be evaluated for Uterine Artery Embolization to treat the fibroid. I hope to be on the road to recovery soon.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
    wendallyn
    (female)

wendallyn HB User

Hi Cathy,

our numbers are pretty similar. My Iron is higher by my Hemaglobin is lower- there are a few things higher than you and a few things lower. I am getting IV Iron treatments (just had my 3rd yesterday) because it was extremely low for me and I was going downhill fast- I couldn't make it through the workday, I was just too fatigued. I was really concerned about my brain not functioning properly- I have trouble saying what I mean because it comes out messed up. I am hoping this reverses once my levels get back to normal. But do take this seriously, and insist on either Iron injections or IV Iron. Supplements just did not work for me at all.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
    CAM1966
    (female)

CAM1966 HB User

I saw the hemotologist and he ordered IV iron infusions for me! I will have my first one next Tuesday and the second one a week from then. It is a new type of iron infusion called Feraheme that only requires two doses and is supposed to have fewer side effects. I'm really hoping it will help me feel better soon. I will have to get blood drawn again in December and see how my levels are. I am so happy that the hemotologist took my problem seriously and didn't tell me to stick with the iron pills which I don't tolerate very well.

How are you feeling wendallyn? Do the infusions seem to be helping and what kind are they? Our stories do sound very similar. I had to cut my hours at work because I couldn't make it through the day either. I can't wait to feel better and get back to my normal schedule and activities.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
    yellowfin43
    (male)

yellowfin43 HB User

Generally my doc doesnt freak until my HGB gets below 8. Not sure about the other readings

Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
    CAM1966
    (female)

CAM1966 HB User

I got my first iron infusion on Tuesday and all went well - no side effects. I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it will take until I start to feel better?

Closed Thread