It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Bruising from Iron Shots

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
    DonnaColless
    (female)

DonnaColless HB User
    Bruising from Iron Shots

My daughter had a series of 5 iron injections over a period of 1 month over 16 months ago and still has the bruising. Could you please advise if these bruises will disappear or is she scared for life? Await your prompt response.
    Thanking You In Advance.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-13-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
    friendsville
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

friendsville HB User
    Re: Bruising from Iron Shots

I took a lady to a hospital for 5 iron shots,and each day they were not well versed in injecting the needle in her arm.The blood under the skin surface was
    visible for several days.However, this blood "overflow" disappeared after a few days,at the most.I would think that an MD. should have a look,for sure. Good luck....Bill

Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

It's obvious that the doctor who performed the procedure did not know the correct technique. I had a series of 5 iron injections a couple of years ago and wondered why my doctor was saying "i pride myself on never leaving a tattoo". When i queried this, he said that those who dont use the proper technique end up leaving a staining beneath the skin and some marks are permanenet.

friendsville - i'm not sure what type of injections your friend had, but i've never heard of iron shots being given in the arm? Are you sure your friend didn't have iron 'infusions' rather than injections? I think the infusions are given in the arm, but injections in your rear end. My doctor printed out the literature for me to read at home and it also states the injections get given in your behind only. They have to catch the muscle in a particular way so they can inject the iron straight into your system.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
    Fanceeist
    (female)

Fanceeist HB User

Hi. Well iron is irritating to the skin. Whoever gave th injection may have not used the z-track technique that prevents the iron from leaking out of the muscle and into the skin where it can cause problems. Try to bring it up to them next time so they are more cautious with thier injecting. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
    Kle86
    (female)

Kle86 HB User

Donna, What ended up happening with your daughters iron injection staining? I had 5 injections within a month a year ago, and they have hardly faded at all and are still quite tender. Did hers fade at all?

Closed Thread