It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Injection Worries

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
    jenn0905
    (female)

jenn0905 HB User
    Iron Injection Worries

I have been on iron gluconate for 2 months, and recently become very sick because of these pills. I went to my doctor and asked what my other options were, but he said the only other option was iron injections. I do not know a lot about them but what I do know is that they are $138.00 for 10mg. Not only do I need to get off (and stay off) of the iron pills, but I need to know of other options. I feel that my doctor is not telling me of other iron pills. If anyone has any information for me I really need it. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Iron Injection Worries

Hello Jenn and welcome to the boards!!!

I don't know where you live, you don't say, however; some places believe in iron injections, others do not. The bad thing about injections is that they can also leave a tattooing on your bum, if not given correctly the iron leaks out staining. This can leave sore, markings on your bum for literally years for some people, they can also remain sore a long time. This is common knowledge, however, you are not always informed by your doctor. The Hematologist usually do not want to give the injections and give IV iron instead if that may be an option for you, I don't know.

I was in the same boat as you, I couldn't take iron meaning Ferris Sulfate. That landed me in the ER with enteritis for 3 months. You really have to be careful with oral iron supplements if you are sensitive or have other complications. I was set up to have IV iron, but then my doctor could tell that I was indeed absorbing iron, very little mind you so I was prescribed a GI friendly iron by my GI doc, he was very knowledgeable in this area, of course. So I did that. It causes me no problems at all, if you can believe it. It is a script for X amount or it is OTC located within the pharmacy (you buy the entire box) and you have to ask for it. What I take which I feel saved my life, in more ways than one, was Poly Iron 150 and I took 2 a day at 300 mgs of iron daily for one year. Now I take one a day or every other day depending. So there is some information for you. None of my other doctors knew anything about iron. Injections were not what my GI doctor wanted me to have nor the Hematologist, just IV or oral. I hope this helps you it saved my life. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 11-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
    RickInTampa
    (male)

RickInTampa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenn0905 View Post
    I have been on iron gluconate for 2 months, and recently become very sick because of these pills. I went to my doctor and asked what my other options were, but he said the only other option was iron injections. I do not know a lot about them but what I do know is that they are $138.00 for 10mg. Not only do I need to get off (and stay off) of the iron pills, but I need to know of other options. I feel that my doctor is not telling me of other iron pills. If anyone has any information for me I really need it. Thanks
    Jenn - For what it's worth, my daughter is currently battling an as yet un-diagnosed iron deficiency issue herself. She's had the problem for almost a year and a half now. The Dr's tried every iron pill under the sun and all it did was get her sick. They finally resorted to giving her iron IV's. The latest one landed her in the ER with a 2 day hospital stay. Her iron level (ferritin) went from 45 down to 2. And that was after a round of iron IV's. So we took her back for a more concentrated version of IV. When she was in the hospital, they tested her iron level, and it was 1538! The ER Dr's said it was way to high. Her Oncology Dr said it was normal for someone just getting an IV. Me, I have no idea who's telling the truth.

My point is, if I were you, I'd be very careful with the iron IV's. If the Poly Iron 150 pills that FLFLOWERGIRL was telling you about are an option for you, I would definitely try those first.

The latest thing the Dr's are testing my daughter for is a disease called Celiac. As I understand it, it's an aversion to gluten based foods that prevents the body from absorbing iron. Might be something to ask about if it hasn't already been tested for.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
    jenn0905
    (female)

jenn0905 HB User

Thanks soooo much for all of the suggestions. I recently went back to my doc and told him about the poly iron 150 and also a slow release iron tablet. Since I live in Canada, he had no idea of the Poly Iron 150. He sent me to a health vitamin store where I bought yet another iron pill that pregnant women use because it causes no intestinal problems. I don't know if it is too early to tell, but after taking three of them in the last 2 days, I continue to have the worst intestinal pains and nausea. My doc is though, sending a requisition (to god knows where in Vancouver) to have a board of non-medical background insurance workers to see if I will not have to pay for the $13.80 a shot iron injections. I have heard what is said about the injections, but don't see any other options, since trying many other types of pills. Thanks for everything, and in the mean time I will continue searching for yet more iron supplements

Closed Thread