It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Symptoms - Anyone else have these?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
    Michael46
    (male)

Michael46 HB User
    Symptoms - Anyone else have these?

My wife has been laid out for the last 6 months. It took 4 months before one of the doctors decided to check her ferritin level. Her other blood work would dip in and out iron anemia but just enough for one of the doctors to prescribe iron pills.

Her ferritin in June was a 6.
    After one month on iron supps it increased to an 11. Finally a doctor decided she needed iron infusions due to the following symptoms:

numbness - all over - but really frustrating in the neck and face.
    tightness in neck and face
    muscle twitching
    fatigue- extreme
    brain fog
    rapid heart beat
    pain in hand joints
    shortness of breath even while sitting still
    trouble speaking
    ears feeling full - worse now that she has an upper respitatory infection - steroids just aggrevated her other symptoms.

Her thyroid tests came back good.
    She had all the tests (neuro, gastro, muscular) and the only thing that popped up was the ferritin.

Her latest cbc shows the following:
    iron total: 102 (40-175)
    Iron binding: 344 (250-450)
    % Saturation: 30 (15-50)
    wbc: 14.2 (3.8-10.8)
    rbc: 4.83 (3.5-5.1)
    Hemoglobin: 13.9 up from 11.7 a month ago (11.7-15.5)
    MCV: 88.7 (80-100)
    MCH: 28.8 (27-33)
    MCHC: 32.5 (32-36)
    RDW: 17.5 down from 18.7 last month (11-15)
    Abs Neutrophils: 9926 (1500-7800)
    Abs Eosinophils: 554 (15-500)
    Ferritin: 253 (10-232) up from 11 last month
    Vitamin B12: >2000 (200-1100)

What is the expected lenght of time to see any improvement? The infusions were 3 1/2 weeks ago. There was some improvement until she got sick and took the steriods.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User
    Re: Symptoms - Anyone else have these?

hi ,i had all of the symptoms that your wife has,for two years i was told it was stress,after begging doctors to check my blood,i was told ferretin was low 12.they found out that i had fibroid,that was the course of my low ferretin,my b12 ,was or is on the low side,but doctors in the uk dont take any notice of this,227.i also think some of my symptoms was from perimenoporse,it took five years to be sorted out,i had hysterectomy in july,do the doctors know why your wifes ferretin is low,they have to find the reason,you will get good support from this board take care ,shirley

Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
    Michael46
    (male)

Michael46 HB User

Thank you for your response.
    Yes, she had very heavy periods for the last several years but have an ablation performed early October. Her last period was extremely light to almost non existent so we are hoping that was the main source of her iron loss.

I did find some references that this could be perimenopause. Her mother went through it in her early 40's and my wife is now 47.

Believe or not, it is great just knowing someone has experienced the same symptoms. This stuff is scary and it is hard to not imagine the worse.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi it took me way over 2 years taking iron tab to get ferretin from 12 to 57,my iron went down after hysterectomy;waiting to have it checked again,should be going up for good at last,tell your wife to keep taking her iron tabs ,

Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
    ruzalily
    (female)

ruzalily HB User

Dear Michael,
    I am sorry to hear that your wife has been suffering with all of these unpleasant symptoms of anemia. I have experienced all of them as well, except instead of my ears feeling full, I have a constant clicking in my left ear, and my numbness was in my last two fingers and last two toes, bilaterally. I have another blood disorder and my docs aren't sure which disorder was causing my symptoms - maybe both were contributing, but supplementation with iron and also vitamin d/calcium (my D was also very low) has helped all of my symptoms significantly. My anemia was detected two years ago and was caused by heavy periods, too. After supplementation (325mg 3x per day) for about four months, my tests were normal so I discontinued the iron, which was a mistake. I had anemia again within six months because I never dealt with the cause of the problem. So I'm back on supplements and am facing an ablation or hysterectomy, or I'll be on supplements for many more years until menopause. Anyway, your concern was about your wife's symptoms and I can assure you that they are not uncommon for those of us with anemia, especially when it is severe. It is my understanding that it will take at least three months to see an improvement in symptoms and blood levels when taking oral supplements, and with infusions the improvement is a week or two. Hopefully the ablation did the trick for your wife and once her levels get back up to normal they will remain that way. I hope some of my information was helpful. Best wishes to both of you, Lily

Old 12-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
    kmarshy
    (female)

kmarshy HB User

Hi Michael. I have just been browsing as my daughter has just been diagnosed anemic. She is only 13 and just started on iron.

I noticed your wifes blood results and it seems her white count is also slightly raised at 14.2 and also her neutrophils are too which could suggest on ongoing infection of some sort. Did the docs not say anything about it? I have had high whites for 4 years and they seem to fluctuate between the highest of normal to around 18000 once and then last year for ages they were 15000. My platelets are also high but not overly high. I would ask about these things if I were you.

Hope she is beginning to feel better.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
    JJJules40
    (female)

JJJules40 HB User

I had to have two series of iron infusions one month apart to bring my levels to normal.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
    barbw
    (female)

barbw HB User

Hi,
    I am sorry that your wife is going through this, because I am too, and I know the misery she is in. I have just had most all of the same tests done, my ferritin is at a 4, but my Vitamin D level was at 8. My hemoglobin is at 9.2.
    They (Dr.) seem way more worried about the extremely low Vit D, than anything else. I have had to have iron infusions about 3 years agao, and I no longer needed to chew ice about 2 weeks after I had the first one, so I know they worked for awhile. In the meqan time I have moved, and cannot seem to convince any Dr. that my ferritin level is contributing to my misery. They are insisting that I first boost my Vit D, and B12 before they will look at iron issue.

Please ask them to check your wife's D level, when they saw low mine was, they finally realized how miserable I am.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
    MohairPA
    (female)

MohairPA HB User

Had iron dextran infusion last December 2008 and December 11 2009. Ferritin level was 5 but hemoglobin was at 11.7 (These numbers are mucho better than in 2008 when I had it but this time I knew what to expect and was having regular blood work to keep an eye on it). Doctor said that the hemoglobin # did not concern her much but the ferritin level did because that is one of the best indicators of stored iron. Had to be officially anemic (under 12 for the hemoglobin I believe) and feel cruddy before I could get the infusion though. I guess for insurance purposes.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
    MohairPA
    (female)

MohairPA HB User

I had my second iron dextran infusion on December 11th, 2009.
    Had my first in December of 2008.

I had some of the same symptoms last year when my iron was extremely low and starting get milder symptoms this time around:

Numbness - only my lips, nose, and chin -- felt like crawling
    Tightness - mainly in my neck (this was the first thing that went away after the infusion each time)
    Fatigue - extreme (slept alot)
    Brain Fog (made it difficult at work)
    Rapid heartbeat and shortness of breath but only with exertion
    Ears had high pitched ringing on and off

Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #11
    WildWitc
    (female)

WildWitc HB User

Hi there - I suffered from Anaemia for 20 years until they finally found out that I had Celiacs - did they carry out the antibody blood test for this?

Best of luck

Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
    Muruks
    (male)

Muruks HB User

Hi am a 20 yr old male. My serum ferritin level is 36ng/ml, I have had hairfall prblms since 4 yrs . I also ve dandruff prblms but its under control after proper treatment. my doc has also advised me 2 take an iron supplement. I jus wanna know from wen can I expect improvements in my hairfall problem?i
    And does hair lost cos of tis prblm usually grow back?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #13
    WildWitc
    (female)

WildWitc HB User

Not sure if this helps but check out the symptoms for Celiac disease (Gluten intolerance) - you will be amazed by how many of the possible symptoms you are all suffering from - I was treated over the course of 20 years for all of the things that you have mentioned. I was anaemic which the docs put down to heavy periods and the fact that I am vegetarian. I had aloepecia which they said was due to stress and possibly the anaemia. I have had low calcium and vitamin D levels, a skin disorder, acid reflux, dizziness - the list goes on.

Good news is that after starting a strictly Gluten free diet all of my symptoms have gone.

Best of luck in your search for the cause of the problems.

Kirstie

Closed Thread