It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B12 Deficiency - need your suggestion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
    Avin
    (male)

Avin HB User
    Red face B12 Deficiency - need your suggestion

Hi there -
    My story goes like this.... Last year i was having severe heart palpitations and various other symptoms, whose cause was not known to me. Because of severe stomach disorders, i consulted a Gastro ,who luckily discovered the B12 deficiency in me. At that time my B12 was 189. He asked me to take 3 shots as of then. Later he went ahead with some tests to discover the root cause of the deficiency. I had done an endoscopy and colonoscopy , but neither of them had any dysfunctions.By this time my B12 levels were still low and i had started getting nerve tinglings and a lot of hair fall.Post which we found my TSH was 12.2 and started taking 50mcg Thyronorm and now TSH is normal. Three months ago the doc came to a conclusion that it was an auto immune disease. He then tried a tablet called Nervijen(Not sub lingual) (750 mcg - methycobalamin) twice a day for 1 month and my B12 shot up to 812 without any shots. I am taking the same tablet once a day and i feel my tingling is increasing, though my palpitations have decreased considerably. Now my question to you - is this a healing effect and would take time or its deteriorating further. I would be grateful for any advice . Please help . Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Avin; 04-02-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
    Avin
    (male)

Avin HB User
    Re: B12 Deficiency - need your suggestion

Experts plz help !!!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
    cdaus
    (female)

cdaus HB User

Is it possible that the tingling is caused by something else other than B12 deficiency? Maybe other B vitamins...

Old 04-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
    Avin
    (male)

Avin HB User

cdaus, is there any other tests which i should undergo to lookout for any other hidden deficiencies.... ?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
    cdaus
    (female)

cdaus HB User

I am sure there are. You should ask your doctor or get another second opinion from another doctor. What I would do if I were in your shoes is take the minimum daily requirement of B complex for a few days and see how you feel. A lot of supplements on the market give you way more than is required and may cause other problems. I sure hope you find the answers soon and feel better!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
    Avin
    (male)

Avin HB User

Thanks a lot cdaus for your always-ready-to-help advices, i'll follow ur suggestion and continue taking the supplement suggested by my doc for another month and post how i feel after a month for the benifit of others. thanks again

Old 04-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
    cdaus
    (female)

cdaus HB User

I sure hope you feel better soon!

Old 04-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
    Tn Sunshine
    (female)

Tn Sunshine HB User

I have had the b12 shots and it sure made me feel much better. Hope you will feel better soon.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

You say your test results for TSH are "normal" now. Can you post what your TSH is and the lab range. Hair loss is a sign of hypothyroidism. Did you have a Free T3 and Free T4 and thyroid antibodies tested? You should ask for those tests if you haven't had those tested.

The lab ranges for the TSH have changed, but some doctors and labs are using the old ranges. The new range is .3 - 3.00. So anything over a 3 for your TSH is over the range. Some doctors are still using the old antiquated "your TSH has to be over 10 to be treated". B12 deficiencies, low vitamin D, low ferritin, anemia, go hand in hand with hypothyroidism. These might be some other tests to ask for.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
    Avin
    (male)

Avin HB User

Thanks for ur reply herekittykitty. Actually after taking thyronorm 50 mcg for a month , my TSH levels are now 3.2 and the lab range is 0.5-5, so seems good with it. But herekittykitty, what wud u account for the nerve tingling still going on and a very very poor mermory.

But what i have read from the internet, the B12 deficiency takes a time to actually restore the damage done by the deficiency. I am taking 750mcg methylcobalamin daily, and wud retest my levels in a month. please throw some light

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

It usually takes a long time of being deficient in B12 before you have neurological damage. I would be more inclined to think your symptoms are thyroid related, but without the proper testing it's hard to tell. Your lab is using the old range on the TSH. See if you can get the Free T3 and Free T4 test. Only going by the TSH is not that helpful in monitoring thyroid levels, as TSH is monitoring a pituatary hormone and not the thyroid hormones, like T3 and T4.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
    Avin
    (male)

Avin HB User

Can low ferratin and iron also result in nerve tinglings and other stomach disorders? I also have allergic rhinitis

Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
    cherishmemorys
    (female)

cherishmemorys HB User

i have a b-12 def. mine started at 155. no signs myself.. but the first signs were the numbness in my toes and tingling in my fingers... you sound like you have been through a lot... but my neurologist decided that i should get an mri on my spine and brain to make sure my my nerves were ok and they were... and now i get a spinal tap this week to see that the spot on my upper spine is just inflammation or i might have ms.... good luck with everything and hope everything turn out ok...

Old 05-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
    cherishmemorys
    (female)

cherishmemorys HB User

it can. but my test for iron was great.... and phalanges still tingle.

Closed Thread