It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron stores at 7!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
    vmag
    (female)

vmag HB User
    Iron stores at 7!

I have had anemia as a kid and have had low iron growing up. Lately, I felt a strong decrease in energy and am always tired. But specifically, I've been getting dizzy spells and lightheadedness. My ohphthalmologist tested my eyes the other day and they were fine. I have been reading posts in this website about normal hemoglobin but low ferratin and that doctors are not too alarmed by it. I'm in the same situation where my doctor does not think my dizziness/lightheadedness is from the low iron stores. In any case, my doctor increased my iron from 1 tablet to 3x/day and switched me from ferrous sulfate to ferrous glucanate. It's been 4 days since my iron switch and I don't feel any better. Does anybody know how long it will take to make me feel normal again? I just want to feel myself again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Iron stores at 7!

vmag--Your symptoms ~can be~ related to a low ferritin of 7. This can be ruled out easy enough with a prescription of iron replacement therapy. If it resolves with iron then you will know. If not then you can look further. Feeling better is an individual thing and it also depends on if you have anything else happening as to how long it will take for you to feel better. It takes a while to build the ferritn storage and it doesn't happen quickly. So please be patient and know in time you will feel better. It all depends on your rate of absorption as to how fast you will replete your iron store. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 09-23-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Closed Thread