It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• 1st hematologist visit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
    surfingtheweb
    (female)

surfingtheweb HB User
    1st hematologist visit

I had my first visit with the hematologist this past Tuesday. Very nice doc! He scanned my latest lab work and though many things were out of whack they were all "close". Said my symptoms didn't look like cancer (a huge relief!). Red blood cells were right size, right shape, correct number of them. and so on, but hemaglobin and hematocrit were still low. Ferritin was normal but on the low side of normal (33).

After taking history and talking, said the quickest answer to anemia would be bone marrow biopsy. I did tell him that was awfully invasive to me and didn't want to go that route until other things had been ruled out. Suggested lab work for auto-immune and a couple other things. I went with the lab work as I had that workout but more extensive 12 years ago when I had a positive ANA,but the others were inconclusive at the time. He said it could be one of them, he'd like my iron to be a little higher, but said it may never be in the normal range. With that said, do you look into bone marrow biopsy or just live with it ? Anyone had experience with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User
    Re: 1st hematologist visit

I'd go with checking your labs first off. A bone marrow biopsy seems a bit extreme given your numbers and even given what he said about everything being just a bit off, but that your cells look ok (right size, etc). Did he mention anything about IV iron infusions? That would be one quick way to try and raise your iron numbers, and given that you aren't that far out of range it seems one infusion should be good. And that way you be able to see if your cells respond to the infusion and if your numbers go up. If they don't, he may look into other cause (absorption issues, GI bleeding, etc). Not sure if you're getting your monthly period but if you are that could very well be the reason your numbers are a little off. Most females are often slightly anemic and that is what your numbers show. I'd ask more questions before consenting to a bone marrow test.

Closed Thread