It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Vitamin B12 injections- have a question.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
    WVPeach
    (female)

WVPeach HB User
    Vitamin B12 injections- have a question.

OK. Multi problems and multi tests. All started with thyroid. Been posting there mostly. Anyway, recently switched drs. (long story) and my new dr ordered some new and different labs. Results of one test come back +EBV. Dr orders for me to start B12 injections weekly x 4 wks then every other week for 4 more doses. Just took my first injection this past Thursday.

My question.....how soon before I should begin to feel better? I am understanding the point of these injections is to improve my energy level. And since I still feel like crap (exhausted all the time, need a nap every day to make it through the day, can sleep 4 hrs, 8hrs or 12hrs and feel no different from a "rested" perspective).....just curious as to how soon before I should expect to see results.

Thanks so much!
    WVPeach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: Vitamin B12 injections- have a question.

Did the tests demonstrate a B12 deficiency? If so, you should start to feel better within a week or so. Its a gradual process though, each day you will feel a bit better, you wont just wake up one morning and feel on top of the world.

A daily multivitamin/mineral like Centrum might also help.

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-16-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
    WVPeach
    (female)

WVPeach HB User

My B12 has been running between 450 and 500. Normals for the test here are 193-962. My tests also show my Vitamin D is low. 23 is my result. Norms 32-100. Also, iron level 42, normals 50-170. However, one of the drs I work with said since my labs were drawn so early (when I got off work at 3am) that the iron level is probably actually inside the normal parameters. Something about iron levels fluctuating throughout the day, optimal blood levels occur between sun up and noon. Never heard of that before. Haven't actually had my follow up to discuss these other labs with MY md yet. He just had his nurse call the meds in for the B12 when the EBV came back positive. Based on some things I have read on other boards I have started supplementing my vitamin D with some OTC D3. Started taking 10,000 units a day (only been doing this for 2 days now, so I don't really feel anything there yet either). I have been so tired like this for way too long. Honestly, going on close to four years now. I try to find things to justify it.....I work full-time, mom of two very active boys, always running for sporting events etc. ....Ended up with a partial thyroidectomy d/t nodules (April 2010)- which I hoped would "fix" my exhaustion, no thyroid replacement required yet, then changed to a less stressful job but now my job has me on night shift....and I have started back to school this fall.... but other people have busy lives and I don't see them barely existing. Nothing makes a difference. Sleep or no sleep, feels the same. Even if I do sleep, I drag out of bed, no matter how long I have slept, and then within a few hours, I am beat. I literally push myself through the day every day. I just need something to work.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Your b12 is well within the normal range, your doctor must be hoping it has a general tonic effect in EB Virus infection, rather than treating a specific B12 deificency.

did they test your gerretin level?

Your iron is way at the bottom of the normal range, you'd have nothing to lose by considering a course of 65mg iron tablets (discuss with your doctor of course)

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-16-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
    WVPeach
    (female)

WVPeach HB User

Current MD didn't order ferritin. Just the Iron level. However, I had a ferritin level about 6 months or so ago. My result then was 37. Our lab norms are 10-120. ANd yes, I think the idea for the B12 was just energy boost. HOWEVER, my next question would be this.....IF my B12 isn't deficient, AND my Iron isn't really all that low, AND my ferritin is normal, AND my thyroid reports all seem normal....can a +EBV (not even an active infection) and some vitamin D deficiency really make you feel like you've been plowed by a semi? and for THIS long?? What else could this possibly be?? It is just frustrating not know what the problem is or how to fix it.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chronic EBV infection is one of those areas that is highly debated, some people blame it for everything from chronic fatiuge syndrome to broken legs, others deny it even exists.

Given that your iron was at the lower end of the normal range, could I suggest you consider some iron and multivitamons (say one iron tablet in the morning with orange juice, and one Centrum with dinner) to see if they make a difference. 100 tablets of each for three month trial will cost you maybe 10 or 15 bucks, and could make a lot of difference to your life if it works. (Caveat-discuss drugs and supplements with your doctor!)

I guess if everything is normal, then you're drifting into CFS terrirory, which i know very little about, might be an idea to pop a question over on that board?

Very best of luck from Australia

Jon

Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
    daisygirly
    (female)

daisygirly HB User

Epstein-Barr virus, frequently referred to as EBV, is a member of the herpesvirus family and one of the most common human viruses. The virus occurs worldwide, and most people become infected with EBV sometime during their lives. In the United States, as many as 95% of adults between 35 and 40 years of age have been infected.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/ebv.htm

Closed Thread