It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• High iron to very low iron in 6 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
    cheekypin
    (female)

cheekypin HB User
    Question High iron to very low iron in 6 months

I have CVID and other disorders and am regularly having my blood , hematocrit, C. In September my iron level was 173 which is high and ferratin was 28. I was borderline on hemoglobin, MCV, MCH anad RDW was high. Absolute neutrophiles were very high. In March I was even lower on MCV, MCH, hematocrit,hemoglobin and abasolute neutrophiles were again very high. HOWEVER, my iron went to 24, ferratin 9.5. Also, September my iron binding capacity was 449 , % saturation was 39. Now my binding capacity is 539 but %saturation is 4! What is going on? How can I go from an iron level of 173 to 24 in 6 months? More importantly, why would this happen? Any suggestions? Cheekypin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
    Ms.Suze
    (female)

Ms.Suze HB User
    Re: High iron to very low iron in 6 months

Ascorbic acid, vitamin C and other organic acids in fruits and vegetables enhance iron absorption.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ms.Suze For This Useful Post:
    cheekypin (04-09-2011)
    Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

There are two ways the body can quickly lose iron, one is through bleeding into the guy, the other is through heavy periods. You should have a feacal occult blood test to detect blood in your bowel movements, and if you have heavy periods, mention them to your doctor - you need to work out wether you are losing blood somwhere or not. If you are, this needs to be treated, if not, you will just need iron supplements etc.

Short term, start taking a 65mg iron tablet every morning along with a vitamin c tablet, and a multivitamin like Centrum every day with dinner to give your body the extra iron and vitamins it needs to make blood while you work out whats going on.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 04-08-2011 at 04:20 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
    cheekypin (04-09-2011)
    Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
    cheekypin
    (female)

cheekypin HB User

I appreciate the suggestions and I no longer have menses and I recently had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which were both negative. I am taking iron supplements but not the regular vitamins which I will start today. I am also sweating continuously and am borderline anemic. There must be something going on and no vampires in my neighorhood!!

Closed Thread