It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Methadone has worked for years and now I am sick all the time

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
    bainskiln
    (male)

bainskiln HB User
    Methadone has worked for years and now I am sick all the time

I am 42 years old, been on Methadone for 6-7 years and it has worked great for most of that time. (Saved my life.)I have Hep-C, but just had my liver tested and everything is working normally. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (maybe caused by the methadone) , Since this time the methadone has not been working properly. Either sick or extremely tired. Liver does not seem to metabolize the drug correctly anymore, slim fast helps a little, still real sick in the mourning’s and most of the day, no motivation or energy, loss of interest, high anxiety, dizzy, nausea, sleep real hard and can hardly wake up and then toss and turn when I first try to sleep, becoming depressed & suicidal. I just started to split dose, helps sometimes. I have been up to 220 mg and over the last year and a half went down to 55mg (slowly). I am now back up to 70 mg and does not seem to help. Did for about a week and then back to being sick again. Fatty meals make me sicker. Exercise and pushing myself does not help. Detox centers want me to stop cold turkey and I do not want to go thru being dope sick for months, again. I do not use any other drugs, I do smoke, no caffeine. I have tried vitamins of all kinds including Vitadone. Any suggestion as to what may be happening and what I can do to make myself feel better would be appreciated. I am going to loose everything, please help. I am loosing hope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
    acman3960
    (male)

acman3960 HB User
    Re: Methadone has worked for years and now I am sick all the time

First of all.....you do NOT want to commit suicide. Life is GOOD....I promise. But when you are so sick for so long you do feel desperate. Do you have a therapist...any good support...friends...family?
    I also have been on methadone a long time and it has saved my life too.
    Can I ask you what your doctor says as far as why the the methdone is not working anymore? Is it your liver?

Last edited by acman3960; 05-14-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
    bainskiln
    (male)

bainskiln HB User

My theripist at the clinic does not know what to do, because if I go up on my methadone I am real tired and if I go down I am dope sick all day. My family has pretty much disowned me and I moved away from my home town to get away from all the drugs and drinking, so no friends to get help from. I went to the emergency room and they told me my liver is not great, but is funtioning normally, what ever that means. They are old school in SC and dont believe methadone should be used. Rehabs want me to quit cold turkey before they will help me. Looking for a good Doctor who knows something about the drug. I have been pushing myself far to long trying to get better and find answers. I have been an addict with mental illnesses all my life and methadone was the only thing that has worked for me and now that has stopped. I am not going back to the way it was. Never! Thank you for asking, its hard to find anyone that acts as if they care.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
    lezah20
    (female)

lezah20 HB User

I'm not a doctor, but I want to help you in any way I can. have you tried detoxification to clean your liver?.

Just don't lose hope, you can surpass that and you can find the right doctor for you.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
    bainskiln
    (male)

bainskiln HB User

No I have never tried or heard of detox from liver. I will google it and see what it involves. Thank you

Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
    janiee08
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

You may also want to post this question on the Pain Management Board, or Liver Disorders Board...janiee

Last edited by janiee08; 05-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    addiction relief, drug interaction, medical advice, methadone withdrawal, pain medications